Stadium is looking shabby | Page 27 | Vital Football

Stadium is looking shabby

Women's football at this level won't last long as the attendances make it financially unviable for the club's to continue with!Man United for example have a women's wage bill over 300k a week and crowds averaging 2k or there abouts! It's financial suicide,

It really depends on the TV money and how long the companies want to support the experiment. If the monetary support continues then the crowds could follow as the standard of the games improve.

What is forgotten is the history of the women's game and its popularity back in the early 1900's when it drew big crowds and sustained the sport throughout WW1. It's demise was brought about by a ban from the FA in 1921 which was in force until the 1950's. The FA thought it unseemly for women to play the game.

A brief history... 1895: The first women's football match. North beat South 7-1. 1920: The first women’s international game. Preston-based Dick Kerr’s Ladies beat a French XI 2-0. Attendance: 25,000. 1920: The biggest crowd to date for a women’s game. On Boxing Day, 53,000 watch Dick Kerr's Ladies beat St Helen's Ladies 4-0.

Women's football at this level won't last long as the attendances make it financially unviable for the club's to continue with!Man United for example have a women's wage bill over 300k a week and crowds averaging 2k or there abouts! It's financial suicide,

To put that into context it's a bigger wage bill than we had in our admin season but with 80% lower average attendance. Or Accrington sized attendances with a near 16m wage annual bill.

The TV deal for the whole league is only 20m apparently. They will need a staggering level of subsidising from the men's team.

Last edited:
It really depends on the TV money and how long the companies want to support the experiment. If the monetary support continues then the crowds could follow as the standard of the games improve.

What is forgotten is the history of the women's game and its popularity back in the early 1900's when it drew big crowds and sustained the sport throughout WW1. It's demise was brought about by a ban from the FA in 1921 which was in force until the 1950's. The FA thought it unseemly for women to play the game.

A brief history... 1895: The first women's football match. North beat South 7-1. 1920: The first women’s international game. Preston-based Dick Kerr’s Ladies beat a French XI 2-0. Attendance: 25,000. 1920: The biggest crowd to date for a women’s game. On Boxing Day, 53,000 watch Dick Kerr's Ladies beat St Helen's Ladies 4-0.

When you look at the numbers the tv money wont touch the sides on Man U's wage bill. I'm sure not every club will have that big of a budget but even a 50% smaller wage bill still wouldn't be close to being covered by their share of the tv deal if the 20m figure is accurate. So without the ability to balance the books via transfers (i think record fee is about 250k) it is hard to imagine how they could run on that budget without being continually subsidised by the men's team. So i think it's going to be down to the clubs how long they want to fund it.

It isn't even up to National league standards, just the PC mad BBC leading everybody into thinking it's a product worth watching..

As a comparative standard it is at a far lower level than National League - as a couple of examples back in 2018 Salford City U18’s played United’s Women’s team and beat them 9-0. The US male U17’s played the Women’s US national team not long before they won the Olympics and beat them 8-2
But I don’t really think that’s a great shock and should it stop people watching it? Not really. I watch the equivalent of NWCL Prem down here and I’m not going coz the standard is great
I’ve watched women’s football and it isn’t for me but if it rings someone’s bell then fair enough
At WSL level though it’s a complete money pit even with the new tv and radio deals. I think even United are, whilst not backing off, not prepared to just continue to chuck endless money at it. If Latics were to launch a side then for me it would have to be self-sustaining which would mean at a very low level in all likelihood. Personally if I was making the decisions at Latics, I wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole

It’s only going to get bigger and bigger from here on in, especially now Sky and BBC have got their claws into it. Any cricket fans on here just have to look back to the Women’s Hundred to see the effect that can have and they didn’t even have built in fanbases like football clubs do. I suspect the bigger clubs will be hosting football double headers sooner rather than later. If England win the Women’s Euros in the summer, they’ll be a big boom.

Man Utd are a weird one. I’m not surprised their crowds are shit when they play their games in Wigan Borough.

Walked across the car park fronting the Chubsters new rate-payer provided home before todays game and noticed several cars with papers in the front window claiming to be owned by staff working in arena. To me that raises the question, who benefits from the monies collected on match days; does it go to the council or has the council given that income to the rugby as well as a fine building. I don't pay my council tax to Wigan as I don't live there but if I did I'd want to know the answer!

Walked across the car park fronting the Chubsters new rate-payer provided home before todays game and noticed several cars with papers in the front window claiming to be owned by staff working in arena. To me that raises the question, who benefits from the monies collected on match days; does it go to the council or has the council given that income to the rugby as well as a fine building. I don't pay my council tax to Wigan as I don't live there but if I did I'd want to know the answer!
Probably best to send this question to the Council.

I noticed that too as the car parked next to me had a ticket with "visitor" in the windscreen.

I think the income from all the parking around there goes to the council as the meters are their responsibility. I know this because I have been complaining regularly that they have not been working and received a fine for parking without a ticket which I appealed and got binned. At one time they put a notice on saying that you could pay the fee at the reception in the centre but when I went to pay they said that the machines were working over the road.

Stewards also now deciding that non disabled can no longer exit the West Stand by the corner between West & South but have to go up the steps, down the stairs and round the stand.

Is Mr Forshaw back at the club and in charge of the pitch ?

The Car parks at Robin Park are operated by the Council and the funds go to them. My son's team used to train there two nights a week during the Autumn / Winter nights (but have never been able to get bookings post subsidised Rugby take over).
We used to get issued car parking passes to put in the car window to avoid being ticketed. The staff at the time told us the parking meters went in to deter football parking (and to raise revenue).

Last edited:
Spot on, its disabled access/exit only, so let the lazy inconsiderate bastards go up the steps, down the stairs and round the stand.
The problem is that it's been open to everyone to exit that way for ages. It's not good to create a scrum of people trying to get out of an exit they always use.

If there have been issues with disabled fans not being able to exit easily then I'm not against the change being made, but that wasn't communicated clearly. A simple tannoy announcement would have helped. I really don't see the issue is having that exit open for all fans as it's not really a great number of people who take that option, but happy to be informed otherwise by disabled fans and/or their carers.

If there have been issues with disabled fans not being able to exit easily then I'm not against the change being made, but that wasn't communicated clearly. A simple tannoy announcement would have helped. I really don't see the issue is having that exit open for all fans as it's not really a great number of people who take that option, but happy to be informed otherwise by disabled fans and/or their carers.

Have you heard the tannoy at the DW? I've heard the general sound but very few words.

Have you heard the tannoy at the DW? I've heard the general sound but very few words.
No I’ve not.

Good opportunity for Eggies to have a good look at their new surroundings tonight as they face the Catalytic Converters in a meaningless end of season bash at our place. 12,000 of them expected as season card holders can take a guest for free and key workers (virtually anyone that works) can get two free tickets for free along with local rugby club players and their families.
Rugby town! My left one.
The parasites are going to need a big lottery to afford to play in the luxury surroundings they play in and afford to keep buying a chance of success when they lose their nominal rent priveledge.
I wonder what it will be? Cut the cloth and fork out a proper rent and not compete in the Egg League or an alternative.

Good opportunity for Eggies to have a good look at their new surroundings tonight as they face the Catalytic Converters in a meaningless end of season bash at our place. 12,000 of them expected as season card holders can take a guest for free and key workers (virtually anyone that works) can get two free tickets for free along with local rugby club players and their families.
Rugby town! My left one.
The parasites are going to need a big lottery to afford to play in the luxury surroundings they play in and afford to keep buying a chance of success when they lose their nominal rent priveledge.
I wonder what it will be? Cut the cloth and fork out a proper rent and not compete in the Egg League or an alternative.
They've given the entire workforce at Heinz 2 free tickets EACH.
That's close to 2,000 tickets there straight away.