Squad - Where We Are Now | Page 6 | Vital Football

Squad - Where We Are Now

To add, and on reflection, any recruitment team can only do so much and provide the talent, if those players are then deemed not good enough or frozen out then the model becomes unsustainable.

Overall I'd agree with that, apart from Maguire getting selected every week ahead of Sanders or Sorensen.

That was definitely not form-based, although of course it doesn't mean that either Sanders or Sorensen would have established themselves as first choices given a longer run.

Adelakun was completely underused from the bench after his run in the side. Probably a correct selection decision to drop him, as you say, but to then banish him from games completely was wrong. Adelakun has the ability to change a game if brought on for the last twenty minutes.
Totally agree

A demonstrably weaker squad than the one that finished 17th last season, with a rookie Manager in charge.

We have to hope the 4-5 loan signings will hit the ground running. I’d take 17th again now.

You posted this on the 23rd June- come back when the transfer window closes

To add, and on reflection, any recruitment team can only do so much and provide the talent, if those players are then deemed not good enough or frozen out then the model becomes unsustainable.

Absolutely correct, which is why the board kept the same recruitment team this summer - and moved everyone else on. Manager, Assistant Manager, Coaches, Fitness Department, Analysis.

Tough one to call this season, new manager, new ideas, out with the old, in with the youthful players it seems. Be interested to see what happens with injured players coming back. Ben House looked very good up until he limped off in the last game. It's an exciting squad and an exciting manager, I'm not expecting us to trouble the play-offs but neither should we be where we were most of last season.

The old saying needs to be said on this particular topic.
Football is played on grass not paper.

Too many people seem to have opinion on how we are going to do next season.
At the moment none of us know how we are going to play never how we are going to do.

As I've said previously i have no idea who any of these new players are that have joined.
Will they go straight into the team ?
Not a clue.

Will last season's better players still be here by the end of the transfer window ?
Not a clue.

I'm actually intrigued and quite excited to be going into a season with literally no expectations or opinions about how the season will unfold.

This season for me feels like a complete restart from the momentum that we have had from the last 6 years.

Lets just wait and see what happens.
We maybe brilliant we maybe rubbish
I have no idea.

It's nice to be restarting as a Division 1 team and not from the foot of the National League.

Absolutely
Division one is a good league
I literally have know idea how we will play
And to me that's quite intriguing
I have had a look at the YouTube footage of the Shamrock Rovers lad, and he's scored some decent looking goals.
But as we know coming to the English leagues can be tough.

I wish the whole squad and management team the best of luck for this season.
I don't know why but it just feels to me like a new beginning

I'm optimistic, reinvigorated, excited. I was never a MApp fan and now pleased we have a fresh start. The new signings look good prospects. Of course we don't know how they'll work, or not. But you can ask yourself, are you confident or not in these signings and the new management? I think the new players look good. Top players from the league below. Possibly the best player from the ROI league. A highly thought of young goalkeeper. The lad from Stoke a calculated gamble. A right back with lots of potential.
I like what I hear from Kennedy. Refreshing. Definitely fits with club ethos. I'm positive about him working and the football at the Bank being exciting. Home form desperately needs to improve and all involved know that.
We do still need a defensive midfield player with experience and a striker to finish of this summers business.
Players still contracted that didn't feature enough last year, look like they will be given more of a chance and should have matured and improved. This a feature I will be pleased to see. Giving players the cold shoulder not something I think is useful.
UTI

I don't think we will be in for a striker. I think we'll still be playing one up front, and we have Hopper, House and Kendall. I think a right winger is essential (although not on a national level) as well as the all important defensive midfielder.

I agree with those saying they have no idea how good we are and how good the squad will blend, but I also agree we look short at DM and a proven goalscorer. I wonder if Tyler Walker is an option? I know he's had a poor couple of seasons but that does that put him in the 'potential bargain' category?

I agree with those saying they have no idea how good we are and how good the squad will blend, but I also agree we look short at DM and a proven goalscorer. I wonder if Tyler Walker is an option? I know he's had a poor couple of seasons but that does that put him in the 'potential bargain' category?

Tyler Walker did very well for us a couple of seasons ago.
However I feel a complete fresh start for the club feels the correct way forward.

I think by the end of last season fan fatigue had set in.
I think Appleton moved on straight after the season finished because he'd gone as far as he could with the resources available to him

As I've already said, this is now opportunity for the club to refresh itself, and hopefully go again.
Will we bring a few more players in ?
Probably

Will we let a few more go ?
Almost definitely.

Fans I have spoken to in the last week or so feel similar to me.
I think it was just starting feel a bit stale under MApp.
After the Cowleys it was always going to be difficult to maintain the momentum, but we nearly achieved promotion during the covid season.
We just never got going last season even though we held a lot of winning positions and blew them.

This change gives us a chance to change the playing style a little bit.

I understand from what I've heard we will try and play a high press high energy style of football.
I have no idea what to expect from this new group of players but I get the feeling most fans are a bit relieved to make a fresh start and try a new system of play.

Will it be successful
Who knows
I hope so

With some good talent in the building, and further business still to do, I’m feeling positive about the deals yet to be done and for the season fast approaching. We do need to bring in 2-3 players with proven experience, and replace future sales, but we’re on the right path. UTI.

Just under 3 weeks to the start and I was just mulling over what team I'd put out if the Exeter game was tomorrow
I'd go wing backs in a 3-4-3 /5-2-3 (when defending)

Rushworth
Poole Jackson O'Connor
Eyoma Bishop Sanders Robson
Scully Hopper Vernam

Subs: Long Roughan Oakley-Boothe Sorensen Kendall House Benn

Mandriou won't be ready due to his knock and perhaps Walsh wouldn't be quite ready. Montsma I don't expect to see until the autumn.

If that's the team announced when I take my seat on the 30th I'd be quite excited to see how it gelled. I think talk of 2/3 extra signings just might be unnecessary as it stands.

I'm sure some will disagree

Just under 3 weeks to the start and I was just mulling over what team I'd put out if the Exeter game was tomorrow

Rushworth
Poole Jackson O'Connor
Scully Hopper Vernam

Mandriou won't be ready due to his knock and perhaps Walsh wouldn't be quite ready. Montsma I don't expect to see until the autumn.

If that's the team announced when I take my seat on the 30th I'd be quite excited to see how it gelled. I think talk of 2/3 extra signings just might be unnecessary as it stands.

To be that looks a very decent side. I'd probably switch Oakley-Boothe for Bishop, but I wouldn't be unhappy with that line up.

Kendall unfortunate not to get a starting place, but I can't see who can be left out at this stage with Kendall's lack of experience at this level.

I also think bringing in 2 or 3 more is not realistic unless 2 or 3 of the names above leave. Especially when we have Mandriou and Walsh too, plus Montsma further down the line.

Just the one defensive midfielder to come for me.

Rushworth
Poole Jackson O'Connor
Scully Hopper Vernam

Yep and I’m definately one. 2 fullbacks who haven’t played as wingbacks and their main attributes are defending. A 2 man lightweight midfield, have we not learnt from last year? Might as well hold up a sign allowing free access to destroy our defence.