Squad - Where We Are Now | Vital Football

Squad - Where We Are Now

mikeosullivan

Vital Squad Member
Looking at the confirmed players we have at present, and assuming Bramall will go, we already have the standard "two players for every position" squad that most managers want.

Set out below in 4-4-2 (no idea if that is the system we will play), it looks quite balanced - apart from a very weak central midfield. I'm fairly happy with the options everywhere else though.

Long/Wright

Eyoma/Poole
Poole/Jackson/Montsma
O'Connor/Walsh
Robson/Roughan

Adelakun/House
Sanders/Sorensen
Bishop/Maguire
Vernam/Scully

Hopper/Draper
Kendall/Makama

Currently both the midfield and strikers look below what we need. Definitely need a good defensive midfielder (assuming Bridcutt not up to the task this year, fitness wise). Be interesting to see how Draper, Kendall and House settle into the new season, otherwise we need a goal scorer on loan (unless we sign someone of course, but I doubt it with the money needed for a striker).

A demonstrably weaker squad than the one that finished 17th last season, with a rookie Manager in charge.

We have to hope the 4-5 loan signings will hit the ground running. I’d take 17th again now.
A little premature perhaps? Personnel that played and made a meaningful impact last season that have departed/may do, are arguably - Griffiths, BNC, Bramall, Fiorini, Whittaker, Marquis.

O'Connor may well strengthen a fragile defence and I would expect Vernam to contribute at least as much as Whittaker. Full/wingbacks may be a concern but less so if we are playing a back four rather than WB's. That along with CM will be very obvious areas to the recruitment efforts, and I will be amazed if there are not notable developments in those positions.

If we are 'as you were' once the window closes I will share your concerns but there is a fair bit of business to be done ahead of that I reckon.

Either that squad is strengthened by some astute signings, or Kennedy gets performances out those players that Appleton couldnt, or it looks like a long hard struggle at the bottom end of the table.

A little premature perhaps? Personnel that played and made a meaningful impact last season that have departed/may do, are arguably - Griffiths, BNC, Bramall, Fiorini, Whittaker, Marquis.

O'Connor may well strengthen a fragile defence and I would expect Vernam to contribute at least as much as Whittaker. Full/wingbacks may be a concern but less so if we are playing a back four rather than WB's. That along with CM will be very obvious areas to the recruitment efforts, and I will be amazed if there are not notable developments in those positions.

If we are 'as you were' once the window closes I will share your concerns but there is a fair bit of business to be done ahead of that I reckon.

And McGrandles, who after a dodgy start was probably 2nd for me in terms of player of the season.

It does worry me a bit that for the second half of the season BNC and Fiorini were arguably our two best players, and McGrandles was up there. The midfield was already a mess and we lost our best two midfielders, and at the moment I think we could do with a more experienced goalkeeper and a goalscorer (I feel a bit nervous about putting that on Kendall, not easy to judge his level but the club might feel better about it!) - not easy to find.

So to just be as good as the side that limped over the line we need 3 or 4 before we even start? There's a long way to go as you say but I would take 17th at this point tbh, without much thinking about it. Michael Hortin's line about there not being an avalanche of signings does make me a bit icky when you need 3/4 to be at the level we were + a few more to be a bit more competitive arguably? I'm sure there will be a clutch of loans but they will need to be good ones (and I thought the plan was to have less reliance on those...)

A couple of more stand up and take note signings would change things pretty quickly I think but right now I think we're a bit off squad wise than where I'd want to be. I think even stuff like Robson at LB is a downgrade on Bramall based off last season.

Last edited:
And McGrandles, who after a dodgy start was probably 2nd for me in terms of player of the season.

It does worry me a bit that for the second half of the season BNC and Fiorini were arguably our two best players, and McGrandles was up there. The midfield was already a mess and we lost our best two midfielders, and at the moment I think we could do with a more experienced goalkeeper and a goalscorer (I feel a bit nervous about putting that on Kendall, not easy to judge his level but the club might feel better about it!) - not easy to find.

So to just be as good as the side that limped over the line we need 3 or 4 before we even start? There's a long way to go as you say but I would take 17th at this point tbh, without much thinking about it. Michael Hortin's line about there not being an avalanche of signings does make me a bit icky when you need 3/4 to be at the level we were + a few more to be a bit more competitive arguably? I'm sure there will be a clutch of loans but they will need to be good ones (and I thought the plan was to have less reliance on those...)

A couple of more stand up and take note signings would change things pretty quickly I think but right now I think we're a bit off squad wise than where I'd want to be. I think even stuff like Robson at LB is a downgrade on Bramall based off last season.
Ha ha, can't believe I forgot McG. Permission to start panicking Captain Mainwaring.

I think maybe I would say that despite the '2 players for every position thing' the only positions I am pretty confident with and feel like we have the quality required as well as 2 players in those positions are

Left wing/left of a front three - Scully is *fairly* durable, Vernam seems like decent back up or genuine competitor for that place. Both have a goal in them I think and some similar traits to keep the balance correct on that side.

Centre back - it was definitely a problem last year with injuries but Jackson's concussions were a bit more freak, Poole has done a fantastic job there, we have Montsma to come back and Eyoma can also play there. I don't think it was actually a problem position compared to a number of others but adding O'Connor means less reliance on Walsh being fit at various points hopefully, as he just won't be I don't think.

I had LB when it was Bramall and Robson as understudy but less sure now.

But that would be signing a striker, right winger, 2 CMs (at least), a left back/right back (maybe one who could play both) and a goalkeeper. Feels like a bit of an avalanche!

A factor that may improve performances in their own right (even if the personnel are not 'as good' as last year) could simply being able to put out a regular side, without all the injury induced chopping and changing of last season.

If there is a settled side that are fitter and stronger (areas the club seem to be taking steps to address) that conceivably could mitigate to a degree the problem of having inferior players.

I'm not suggesting we are in for a stellar season, but there are aspects other than having the better players on the books that go into the outcome - sum of the parts and all that.

Given the horrors of last season's injury crises, it wouldn't amaze me if we finished a bit higher with supposedly less able players.

A factor that may improve performances in their own right (even if the personnel are not 'as good' as last year) could simply being able to put out a regular side, without all the injury induced chopping and changing of last season.

If there is a settled side that are fitter and stronger (areas the club seem to be taking steps to address) that conceivably could mitigate to a degree the problem of having inferior players.

I'm not suggesting we are in for a stellar season, but there are aspects other than having the better players on the books that go into the outcome - sum of the parts and all that.

Given the horrors of last season's injury crises, it wouldn't amaze me if we finished a bit higher with supposedly less able players.

Although on the glass half empty side of that, we still have some of the more injury prone players (Walsh, Bishop... and potentially Vernam by the sounds of it, having had a muscle injury last term and knee surgery previously - although this might be unfair!) and are carrying some injuries into the season already (Montsma, House).

We also have a manager with less of a track record in this division coming into the season. I thought we under performed last season but we already had a settled style of play several of the players were used to, and a manager who had done well in L1 previously. The new one will have to get his ideas across to a new group and pretty quickly, and it feels like a bit more of a trip into the unknown than Cowley or Appleton based on their successes at the level we hired them at. Maybe we'll immediately have an extra 5,10% from last season but I feel like I just don't know/wouldn't feel confident having a worse squad than Appleton had!

Definitely see your point though and hope it is more your way of thinking.

We definitely need to strengthen with around 3-4 quality loans/signings. Thought we were weak in CM most of last season so that’s obviously a key area, and will we have enough creativity for the forwards?

Still plenty of time before the Devonians visit the Bank, though I am always one for wanting as many settled into the squad for pre season training as players that have to play catch up, often don’t. A lot will be dependent on the finances as ever though, with a lot of big clubs in our league, it’s always a challenge to compete. However it’s a leveller to think we only dreamed of being in Lge One for the odd season before so we are doing ok.

I look at it new manager new tactics new players or reinvigorated players. But then again I am no fan of Appleton. Hopefully he come in with an offer for Maguire and we can get rid of him too.

Midfield is definitely the key for me - a desperate need for both a tough tackling defensive midfielder and a creative midfielder.

At present I don't think we have anyone who can do either of those roles. Bishop is too inconsistent and disappears from games on too many occasions. Sanders is unproven. Sorensen seems to struggle physically at this level. And Maguire needs to be gone.

In all the other positions, subject to the new fitness guru doing a better job than the previous incumbant, I think we have a good mix of proven ability and young potential.

This will all depend of course on MK's ability as Head Coach to bring the best out of the players.

Overall though, I seem to be one of the very few optimists who thinks we can have a good season if we can bring in two above-average midfielders and keep everyone fit.

There's almost always a player or two that go up a level when a new manager comes in, be it a change in style or just that the new man gives them more chances. Perhaps that could be Sorensen or Sanders?

It'll be interesting to see if he brings Adelakun in from the cold, he's proved in the past that he can play at this level, maybe he can do so again.

I think there's more to come from Bishop if he gets a run of games in his preferred position, fitness depending.

We barely saw House, but when we did he looked more than capable. Kendall could be the same.

You'd hope Robson will kick on this year.

We may also see some of the young lads starting to break through.

So although we didn't do brilliantly last year, you'd think there was a lot of room for improvement with what's already here. Added to that, I'm sure we'll bring in at least another 5 or 6 new players whether on loan or permanent. I think we'll end up with a squad that's capable of holding their own in league 1, hopefully with a handful who can make us a few quid.

I think the transfer market is only just getting going so I think there will be several changes before the seasons start but we definitely need 3 or 4 good loan signings to boost the squad otherwise we will really struggle next season.

Quite honestly we have no idea what our squad will look like at this stage.

I reckon plenty of incomings yet (Hortin's avalanche comment I think was relating to the coming week or so...especially knowing all the key people were going to be in USA )

also wouldn't be surprised to see leavers like Poole and Scully...

...the permutations are endless...

...but because we did terrifically well in 20-21 people assumed we would do as well again in 21-22.

The reverse may well be true this time.

Agree with most on here.
1. We need to rebuild the midfield, especially defensive midfield
2. The defence looks ok, especially the centre, but I'm ok with fbs as well
3. I'm ok with the rookie keepers, but an experienced head may be needed if we start to struggle
4. We need a couple of X factor loans to go up front
5. I'm expecting Adelakun, Robson and House to become regulars. Robson to be PoS
6. Kennedy will need to learn quickly. I am expecting a slow start, which means we'll all (including supporters) need to keep our nerve
7. Law of averages says better luck with injuries, which may help us match last season's finish

Where are we now ?
In the place where we are not ready yet.
I would still love to see about 5 new faces coming.
At least two good holding midfielders are absolutely critical to our season. Don't mind an experienced goalie coming in as well.
Right winger too. With Adelakun, Maguire and House there we won't go far.
Finally I wouldn't mind to send Freddie out on loan and get some goals into the team by bringing another striker.
Loans or permanent signings, don't matter but we need more quality.

Where are we now ?
In the place where we are not ready yet.
I would still love to see about 5 new faces coming.
At least two good holding midfielders are absolutely critical to our season. Don't mind an experienced goalie coming in as well.
Right winger too. With Adelakun, Maguire and House there we won't go far.
Finally I wouldn't mind to send Freddie out on loan and get some goals into the team by bringing another striker.
Loans or permanent signings, don't matter but we need more quality.
Harsh, certainly on Ben House. In a short time, I thought he looked perfectly comfortable in League 1. For me, he will do well for us, although probably not as a right winger.