Spurs squad 2022/23 | Page 3 | Vital Football

Spurs squad 2022/23

I have absolutely no fear of being let down this window, for the first time since PL started everything is in perfect alignment.
1. £200 to £300m to spend, the biggest transfer budget we've ever had.
2. Securing CL football means we can chase the elite footballers on the market
3. The best stadium and training facilities in Europe
4. An elite manager at his prime
5. A top managing director of football that knows what he's doing.
We may not get all our to targets, but even our backups will be drawn from the elite band of players.
Time IMO to stop all the self doubt and enjoy the ride.
P.S. We can absolutely win the league if we get our main targets in for preseason.

I have absolutely no fear of being let down this window, for the first time since PL started everything is in perfect alignment.
We may not get all our to targets, but even our backups will be drawn from the elite band of players.
P.S. We can absolutely win the league if we get our main targets in for preseason.

1st is definitely an option.

That's the spirit. I was trying to think about what it would take to lose the plot with Spurs as a fan this summer. So the contra list is....

1. The manager and/or DoF leave
2. We get the "the money was there, but we couldn't land our signings" BS again as we sign a load of Ricardo Rochas.
3. The precious little pricks don't like Conte's tactical demands and go back to doing what they want again.
4. A long list of injuries

Roll on the good times !!!

That's the spirit. I was trying to think about what it would take to lose the plot with Spurs as a fan this summer. So the contra list is....

2. We get the "the money was there, but we couldn't land our signings" BS again as we sign a load of Ricardo Rochas.
3. The precious little pricks don't like Conte's tactical demands and go back to doing what they want again.

I can see all of those happening lol!

These could happen but in reverse order, like Miss World.

Hmm, not so long ago, the general comment was, 'they are new signings and need time, a season perhaps, to bed into the PL' Is that no longer relevant in this window? We were twenty points adrift of the top teams and only three behind third who, we have a phobia. We suffered sound defeats by Palace, Soton, Brighton, Wolves, and Burnley, illustrating our complacent attitude. Turning those defeats around does still not erase the deficit. Are we good enough to diminish all that is average; and show consistent quality through the season to rival the best and claim the top prize. It will be miraculous if we can.

Hmm, not so long ago, the comment was, 'they are new signings and need time, a season perhaps, to bed into the PL' Is that no longer relevant in this window? We were twenty points adrift of the top teams and only three behind third who, we have a phobia. We suffered sound defeats by Palace, Soton, Brighton, Wolves, and Burnley, illustrating our complacent attitude. Turning those defeats around does still not erase the deficit. Are we good enough to diminish all that is average; and show consistent quality through the season to rival the best and claim the top prize. It will be miraculous if we can.

The biggest thing we need to do is to lose our Jeckyll and Hyde personality.

In May we got 12 out of 15 available points, with a very credible draw against Liverpool away. However, the Burnley game wasn't the best even though we got 3 points.

However, in April we only got 7 out of 12 points with those 2 stinking performances against Brighton and Brentford. We can also go back to that shockingly bad performance against Villa in the first half.

In March, we got the 9 points out of 12 plus the shocking Boro cup game. Our loss was against Utd with the Ronaldo hatrick, even though we perhaps deserved a draw.

So if you take the last 3 months as the current benchmark, we need to improve to be league contenders. It's not just about the transfer market and more quality players either. Pep and Klopps' teams can have a bad day at the office, but they don't come along that often. They can normally trust that their players will cross the white line and play with the intensity required and execute the manager's game plan. The quality of the players does the rest. Conte doesn't have that luxury yet.

We still have "entitled" players that don't always work for it. They want it laid on a plate. Kane is one. The moment Bissouma got touch tight to him, he just became irrelevant. He just let it happen. Stick De Bruyne, Thiago or Salah in that same position and you get a different result. Ditto with Sonny who is liable to disappear if it gets physical. Whilst Rob Holding got it wrong, other defenders did rough Sonny up his last season successfully and that is where he had his worst games. He's a 6ft coward.

So Conte has got us from the 60pt to 70pt level and I'm anticipating we get to the 80pt+ level next season. That's not a given though once we're back to an intense fixture list rather than a game a week. He needs his players to be more mentally stronger to lift trophies.

Hmm, not so long ago, the general comment was, 'they are new signings and need time, a season perhaps, to bed into the PL' Is that no longer relevant in this window? We were twenty points adrift of the top teams and only three behind third who, we have a phobia. We suffered sound defeats by Palace, Soton, Brighton, Wolves, and Burnley, illustrating our complacent attitude. Turning those defeats around does still not erase the deficit. Are we good enough to diminish all that is average; and show consistent quality through the season to rival the best and claim the top prize. It will be miraculous if we can.
Chelsea finished 10th in the league the season before Conte took over on 51pts, the next season under his guidance they won the league on 93pts. So I don't see why with the right signing we can't go from 71pts to 90+pts.
We conceded 40 goals last season but only 5 in our last 11 games, we will undoubtedly be more solid at the back this coming season. So targeting less than 30 goals for me is realistic.
We scored 69 goals last season, of which Kulu scored 5 in half a season. Is it so unbelievable that he could get 10?
I also think it's realistic to expect Kane and Sonny to score another 40+ goals between them.
Perisic scored 10 goals last season, surely he'll get 5, that's 55 goals. Is it realistic to expect 25 goals from everyone else which brings us to 80 goals.
That's a swing of 20+ goals, that's got to be worth 20pts which would take us over 90pts.
You may see that as a miracle, I see that as Conte team talk at the beginning of the season.
Incidentally, Chelsea finished 4th on 66pts in season 19-20 and won CL following year. Personally I see no reason to be negative about the coming season.

Chelsea finished 10th in the league the season before Conte took over on 51pts, the next season under his guidance they won the league on 93pts. So I don't see why with the right signing we can't go from 71pts to 90+pts.
We conceded 40 goals last season but only 5 in our last 11 games, we will undoubtedly be more solid at the back this coming season. So targeting less than 30 goals for me is realistic.
We scored 69 goals last season, of which Kulu scored 5 in half a season. Is it so unbelievable that he could get 10?
I also think it's realistic to expect Kane and Sonny to score another 40+ goals between them.
Perisic scored 10 goals last season, surely he'll get 5, that's 55 goals. Is it realistic to expect 25 goals from everyone else which brings us to 80 goals.
That's a swing of 20+ goals, that's got to be worth 20pts which would take us over 90pts.
You may see that as a miracle, I see that as Conte team talk at the beginning of the season.
Incidentally, Chelsea finished 4th on 66pts in season 19-20 and won CL following year. Personally I see no reason to be negative about the coming season.

As with any season there are fine lines with stats.

Some of our defending in the games we won comfortably was poor.

Villa away is a great example. We could have easily been 3 down by half time. Poor finishing meant we got away with it.

We play with 7 defensive players and we still look vulnerable down the middle when Hojbjerg and Bentancur are breached and we are pretty woeful at dealing with crosses with curve and pace. Set pieces or from crosses.

If we don't address these issues we will get exposed in the CL.

Plenty of room for improvement.

As with any season there are fine lines with stats.

Some of our defending in the games we won comfortably was poor.

Villa away is a great example. We could have easily been 3 down by half time. Poor finishing meant we got away with it.

We play with 7 defensive players and we still look vulnerable down the middle when Hojbjerg and Bentancur are breached and we are pretty woeful at dealing with crosses with curve and pace. Set pieces or from crosses.

If we don't address these issues we will get exposed in the CL.

Plenty of room for improvement.
Agreed!