Spurs squad 2022/23 | Page 2 | Vital Football

Spurs squad 2022/23

Something like this would allow us to fight on all fronts.

Davies can be considered as the 3rd LWB aswell, maybe Bale fancies a 1 year contract to see if he can win a PL title with Spurs.

Impact from the bench will be key next season and will decide lots of games. Whatever way we go we need more fire power. Kane, Son and Kukusevski will get us goals but we need another two regular goal scorers to challenge the big boys.

GK: Lloris, Forster

LCB: Pau Torres, Davies
CB: De Vrij, Dier
RCB: Romero, Sanchez

LWB: Kostic, Sessegnon
RWB: Doherty, Royal, Singo

CM: Bentancur, Eriksen
CM: Hojbjerg, Skipp, Sarr

LWF: Son, Jesus
RWF: Kulusevski, Bryan Gil, Moura

ST: Kane, Bale

How many home grown within that lot and how many do we need ?

Can't say who we will sign but I don't think it will be Martinez ,Bastoni ,Torres or Jesus as I don't think they would come to us. We have already missed out on Boubacar Kamara on a free. I just hope we get improvements on Doer ,Davis, Doherty,Emerson and Hojbjerg.

How many home grown within that lot and how many do we need ?

If i’m right I think it’s 17 non home grown players.
For the PL that wouldn’t include the Welsh trained (Davies) but I think he would be classed as one of the 17 for the CL.

So for the PL list that squad would be fine with Forster, Davies, Sessegnon, Doherty, Skipp, Sarr, Kane and Bale all ok.

I think (and I’m open to correction) that Davies is the only player that needs to be taken off the above as non-homegrown for the CL.

In this case I’d imagine either Sarr or Gil would be omitted from the CL squad. The alternative of course would be to keep Tanganga in both squads at the expense of Sanchez.

I thought I would wait a couple of days to see if I could get a more realistic idea of who might be available to us.

GK Hugo, Forster

RWB Doherty, Spence, Perisic
LWB Sess, Kostic

RCB Romero, Sanchez
CB Dier, De Vrij
LCB Bastoni, Davies

CM Bentancur, Skippy, Eriksen
CM Hojbjerg, Sergej Milinković-Savić

RF Kulu, Lucas, Bale
ST Kane, Parrot
LF Son,

I would try to get the deal for Bastoni done, then go back in for De Vrij. He's only got a year left on his contact, it would also help Bastoni to settled in.
Sergej Milinković-Savić is going to cost £60-70m, Bastoni £50-60m which is why I would push for Bale and Eriksen on frees, Bale can certainly play down the middle to cover and rest Kane.
With outgoing sales those signings should still leave £70-100m in the kitty for a late left field signing and a couple of home grown youngsters.
Ideally I would like an upgrade for Sanchez, but I would be concerned about too many new faces in our back line.

So the front runners at the moment are

Forster
Perisic
Bastoni
Spence
Eriksen

Not bad but not enough 1st 11 quality for me. Only Perisic and Bastoni would be 1st 11 up grades.

3 free signings, one youngster and a signature signing isn't how our summer will pan out. We could cover that lot from player sales.

I think there will be a major striker coming in, costing same as Bastoni will cost.

Here's a question for you lads n lasses....when was the last time you felt excited by/for Tottenham Hotspur and its future?

Here's a question for you lads n lasses....when was the last time you felt excited by/for Tottenham Hotspur and its future?

I'm always excited about future possibilities, but this summer could be a pivitol moment in our development as a club; some of us have always believed that a few years into our stadium would transform our future - I believe, nay know that we're entering this tranformational period now.

We've built a Top 20 European club the right way, apart from the two years of Jose, we've also established ourselves as a top 4 club; eclipsing our North London rivals (anyone remember suffering St.Totteringhams day?).

Our trajectory is upwards and onwards.

Conte may just be the one to deliver silverware, so am I excited about our prospects in the coming seasons?

You'd have to be dead or dying not to be.

Last edited:
To be honest, the champions league final. I used to optimistic about the long term nature of our growth and what needs to happen before we can routinely compete with the big boys. But since that defeat my mindset mostly has been one of "that's the best that I'm likely to ever see of us in my lifetime".

But since Paratici's arrival, the promising finances of the club and Conte's impact (despite my reservations on his tactical decisions...) I'm starting to think big again. But I'm going to see how this window goes before i get too carried away...

To be honest, the champions league final. I used to optimistic about the long term nature of our growth and what needs to happen before we can routinely compete with the big boys. But since that defeat my mindset mostly has been one of "that's the best that I'm likely to ever see of us in my lifetime".

But since Paratici's arrival, the promising finances of the club and Conte's impact (despite my reservations on his tactical decisions...) I'm starting to think big again. But I'm going to see how this window goes before i get too carried away...

The ramifications of a sub expectations window are not worth thinking about. On every level.

Lots of occasions I get shall we say enthused as opposed to excited.
When Martin Jol had us in the ascendancy.
Same for Poch plus the CL run and final.
The sale of Bale and its money.
The start and finish of the new stadium.
The appointment of Jose ( because he wins a trophy at every club ).
There are more but these stand out.
What's the common denominator.....let down each time. The stadium not being the clubs fault ( that was Covid ).
But this time surely is our time.....isn't it ?

If I'm honest, it was May 2017. We had just got 86 points and finished second. By transfer deadline day it had drained out of me once I'd seen the signings. Even the CL final year, I was never optimistic. I knew we were on the decline, regardless of somehow getting to the CL final against the odds.

I do feel optimistic now though. Let's see how I feel after transfer deadline day has passed.

What's the common denominator.....let down each time. The stadium not being the clubs fault ( that was Covid ).

I always have understand financially what our limitations were; I've never wavered in that view given that we did not have an ultimate multi-billionaire owner who was prepared to chuck money around like confetti.

We massively over-performed under Poch for much of his tenure. Jose was a sickening appointment, but I tried to be positive about it until I saw the shite he was dishing up and knew it would all end in tears sooner rather than later.

WE are at the start of a momentus well funded jouney and whilst that doesn't guarantee success, it goes a long way towards getting us where we need to be.

Lots of relevant cliches to counter that but one that matters is persistence pays off.

Ex is right, Pochettino set our expectations too high too early. He created the most damaging false dawn of the lot. But in hindsight that era has brought us to where we are now so it's all good.

However, we should have won the CL. Naffer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of relevant cliches to counter that but one that matters is persistence pays off.

Ex is right, Pochettino set our expectations too high too early. He created the most damaging false dawn of the lot. But in hindsight that era has brought us to where we are now so it's all good.

However, we should have won the CL. Naffer.

Because of all the false dawns, I am ready for another one. I am battle hardened or maybe punch drunk to the point I don't really care anymore.
What will be, will be.