Southampton v Aston Villa - Match Thread, Sat 22nd February, 3pm | Page 35 | Vital Football

Southampton v Aston Villa - Match Thread, Sat 22nd February, 3pm

:clown: Yeah Reina hasn’t been our MoM in most games he’s played. Awful tactical setup in front of him means he’s facing a barrage of shots every game.
Reina been decent for us, he’s obviously well past his best but in a desperate situation at least he can do a job. That said, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a keeper “run” back to their own goal as slowly as Reina did yesterday

At one point yesterday it was Tyrone v the Southampton attack. Can't say I noticed Hause or Konsa heading crosses and corners clear and blocking shots. I saw them getting beat in the air by Shane Long.

I don't get the hostility towards Mings based on yesterday.
Hause and Konsa aren’t good enough. I’d say we have issues throughout the team but having championship centre backs only makes things worse. Mings might make mistakes but at least 90% of the time he looks decent, the others don’t.

Having been there yesterday I thought Mings was the one defender getting us out of the shit yesterday actually.

You want to blame anyone then our full backs were the ones putting in a display that ranks with the worst I have ever seen from players in their positions.

I said a few games ago time for the old head of Elmo , I know this will amuse some but the experienced player is something we lack when the going gets tough

Hause and Konsa aren’t good enough. I’d say we have issues throughout the team but having championship centre backs only makes things worse. Mings might make mistakes but at least 90% of the time he looks decent, the others don’t.

Funny isn't it Hause hasn't even made the bench in the first half of the season now he's preferred to Engels and Konsa even though it left us with two left-footed CB's you can't make it up.

‘Villa on Tour’, they aren’t my cup of tea but you know ‘fans’ are looking for something to moan about/looking for a scapegoat when they’re the target of people’s frustrations.

The problem I have with Reina (well with Smith really) is that he’s been picked after Nyland played a blinder. If you play well you should stay in whoever you are.
As for Mings, looked good in the championship but for me he’s not a centre half at all. His clearances are anywhere, often to the opposition, and he’s weak in the air for such a tall guy. He doesn’t impose himself physically, in fact all 4 of these centre halves are lightweight. If we had two decent centre halves I’d play Mings at left back. Smith was some sort of centre half I’m led to believe and Terry definitely an all time great. How they’ve come to pick these four I’ve no idea. And I don’t buy Smith had no say in the transfers. The idiots have blown the owner’s money on yet another absurd gamble and all deserve to carry the can.

‘Villa on Tour’, they aren’t my cup of tea but you know ‘fans’ are looking for something to moan about/looking for a scapegoat when they’re the target of people’s frustrations.

Harmless lads watching the villa and spreading the word for Villa , some idiot away fans out there who I'm sure don't even watch the game.
I've met a few who think if you criticise any Villa player ever you're not supporting the team . Absolutely brain dead muppets

I said a few games ago time for the old head of Elmo , I know this will amuse some but the experienced player is something we lack when the going gets tough
Elmo as an attacking full back is ok to be honest. Surprised he hasn’t been given more of a go

Funny isn't it Hause hasn't even made the bench in the first half of the season now he's preferred to Engels and Konsa even though it left us with two left-footed CB's you can't make it up.
Hause couldn’t even make the starting line up regularly in the championship and yes as you point out was nowhere to be seen first half of the season. Doesn’t exactly fill you wit confidence on his ability does it

Harmless lads watching the villa and spreading the word for Villa , some idiot away fans out there who I'm sure don't even watch the game.
I've met a few who think if you criticise any Villa player ever you're not supporting the team . Absolutely brain dead muppets

Exactly that, harmless. Not a fan of the whole vlog thing myself and I don’t know them but I’m sure they’re alright. There are worse things to moan than a few boys with a gopro.

The problem I have with Reina (well with Smith really) is that he’s been picked after Nyland played a blinder. If you play well you should stay in whoever you are.
As for Mings, looked good in the championship but for me he’s not a centre half at all. His clearances are anywhere, often to the opposition, and he’s weak in the air for such a tall guy. He doesn’t impose himself physically, in fact all 4 of these centre halves are lightweight. If we had two decent centre halves I’d play Mings at left back. Smith was some sort of centre half I’m led to believe and Terry definitely an all time great. How they’ve come to pick these four I’ve no idea. And I don’t buy Smith had no say in the transfers. The idiots have blown the owner’s money on yet another absurd gamble and all deserve to carry the can.
Reina is 10 times the keeper of Nyland to be honest.

I said at the end of the summer that it was a mistake in letting Jedinak, Whelan and Hutton go all at the same time. For all their limitations they had two things that nobody else had... Genuine Premier League Experience and Toughness. The way Whelan was playing in the second half of last season he'd walk into this team. Mings is talking about the team having to "unite" - yet with any of those three in the dressing room the kids wouldn't have a choice or they'd be strung up...

Hause had a few injuries during the first part of the season if I remember right so that probably explains him not even being on the bench. The last start Elmo had in the league was man city where he got destroyed and everyone was moaning that we'd started him.

Having been there yesterday I thought Mings was the one defender getting us out of the shit yesterday actually.

You want to blame anyone then our full backs were the ones putting in a display that ranks with the worst I have ever seen from players in their positions.

Yep agree, nobody comes out of yesterday's no show with any credit but Mings was the 'pick' of our back 5, if u can call it that! Not convinced about Hause at all, distribution in particular is woeful and just watch his lack of response to Long's run in front of him for the first goal....sums up everything that was depressing about yesterday's performance. Lack of desire, awareness...you name it...we lacked it!

I said at the end of the summer that it was a mistake in letting Jedinak, Whelan and Hutton go all at the same time. For all their limitations they had two things that nobody else had... Genuine Premier League Experience and Toughness. The way Whelan was playing in the second half of last season he'd walk into this team. Mings is talking about the team having to "unite" - yet with any of those three in the dressing room the kids wouldn't have a choice or they'd be strung up...

Look at where they are now. Whelan couldn't hack it in the Scottish league and is now at Fleetwood. No one wanted Hutton and he's decided to retire. Jedinak is still without a club and has been using our facilities to train.

Would any of them have been able to play in this league at the pace it is now even as a sub? I doubt it. The mistake wasn't letting 3 players who are past it go. The mistake was not bringing in another one or two with good premier league experience in to replace them. Another couple of Heaton like signings and we might have been much better off. Easier said than done if course.

I like the Villa on Tour stuff. Young lads seemingly carving out a business for themselves. Good luck to them I say.

If someone has had a pop at them then that is very poor.

Some fans do puzzle me . Yesterday there was a steady flow of people in our row going up and down to the concourse. Had to move out of the way for one bloke at 53 minutes. - What did he do at half time ? Unless they needed to "take" something !!!!

Don't get me wrong I like Mings but he makes his name with last-ditch blocks and stuff like that a bit like a poor mans JT but we need a couple of proper CB's who read the game and stop the crosses and shot happening in the first place, the fecking keeper is there to block any shots that do come in.
I think we've conceded if that's the right word the most shots against in this league and therefore the most goals as well

How dare you call out the untouchable Mings.

I’ve only seen the highlights, he looked all over the shop. It’s like he smokes a couple of spliffs before a game he seems that laid back and chilled sometimes. If he starts a game for England in the euros against a half decent side that could ruin him because he’ll get torn apart.

Unless he concentrates harder for England than he does Villa?

It’s unfair of me to call out a player having not seen the game, but every other player gets called out for mistakes (rightly so) and Mings is not faultless this season

Mings has been average at best. I have started liking him less since his stupid error at Man United. Yesterday again he made two mistakes and we were lucky not to be punished. Our defenders are all rubbish sadly, midfielders cannot create and a striker in Wesley who has to be the worst I have ever seen. All of those point to us going in one direction and that is championship. Still cannot believe a striker exists who cannot control a football and is playing in the prem league and is a freakin Brazilian. There is only one club who can buy such a player and we all support it. Samatta is a million times better.