Southampton v Aston Villa - Match Thread, Sat 22nd February, 3pm | Page 34 | Vital Football

Southampton v Aston Villa - Match Thread, Sat 22nd February, 3pm

For me the only chance of staying up is if we sack Smith, get the replacement spot on and get the new manager bounce.

It's very hard to get the replacement 'right' so even that is a very tall order. Smith isn't up to it, he's out of his depth at this level.

The players will rightly take a lot of the blame but they have a manager who is tactically naive given resources and seems to be unable to motivate them.

On the playing side it's shocking how spineless so many of them are. El Ghazi received what amounted to a love tap and used it as an excuse to get off the pitch. Should never play for us again

Hourihane comes on and does the usual invisible man impression, should not play for us again.

Luiz, I just don't see it, nice on the ball at times but has no ability to take a game by the scruff of the neck, doesn't have the balls to stand up and be counted.

Trezeguet - one of the worst footballers I've seen in a while to wear the shirt. Whilst it's nice he makes an effort the guy is just pure shite, a headless chicken.

I can't even be arsed to go through the defence as it's tragic. Mings for all the praise he gets is just an average player at this level as well.

We're in poor shape. We had to spend big last summer but we got it emphatically wrong.

How long before we're called John Terry's Aston Villa?
I think that would be a complete disaster if Terry got to take over.
He surely must have input under the present set up and considering the position he played, the fact he was a captain who won many trophies and England caps absolutly nothing appears to feed through into our on field activities.
If and when Smith goes the job has to go to a proven manager.

The entire first team, apart from Samatta, have been building up to a none performance like that for most of the season and should be dropped, especially Reina, who has made silly errors in every game.
This squad are destined for relegation and the only chance they might have to avoid it is a change in formation to a 3-5-2. Putting another striker beside Samatta will help him, just as playing Hogan in a two would have got the best out of him, so I guess that will be a no-go then.

:clown: Yeah Reina hasn’t been our MoM in most games he’s played. Awful tactical setup in front of him means he’s facing a barrage of shots every game.

And yet there we are out of the bottom three with the teams below us playing just as shit as us.

We still have a good chance of staying up, so firing Smith would be a massive gamble. Whoever comes in still has the same squad to try and conjur something out of.

Well that winter "break" did us the power of good player swanning off on the piss all over the world, coming back in fecking holiday mode, there again they've been in look at me I'm a Premier League player all season.
Gone to a few heads Mings being a particular case in mind

And yet there we are out of the bottom three with the teams below us playing just as shit as us.

We still have a good chance of staying up, so firing Smith would be a massive gamble. Whoever comes in still has the same squad to try and conjur something out of.
we need a new manager bounce for 5 or 6 games to get us 4 wins , we can't build on any win we've got yet

:clown: Yeah Reina hasn’t been our MoM in most games he’s played. Awful tactical setup in front of him means he’s facing a barrage of shots every game.

Yeah. Reina. I mean what has he ever done in his career. Yet the good fans of AVFC throw his world cup, euro champs. bundesliga winning exploits to one side and declare he is crap. :lol:. You can't make this shit up sometimes.

He got us into the shit yesterday because of the tactical set up being so rigid and easily sussed before and during the game. They pressed. There was zero outlet but as per the manager instructions the plan remained play from the back at all costs . The shambles of isolating whoever plays up front continues the forward being surrounded by 4 defenders continues and rules the long pass option from the equation.

So yes Reina got us into the shit a few times but he also got us out of it . Would have been 3 nil down after 20 mins otherwise.

Well that winter "break" did us the power of good player swanning off on the piss all over the world, coming back in fecking holiday mode, there again they've been in look at me I'm a Premier League player all season.
Gone to a few heads Mings being a particular case in mind

How dare you call out the untouchable Mings.

I’ve only seen the highlights, he looked all over the shop. It’s like he smokes a couple of spliffs before a game he seems that laid back and chilled sometimes. If he starts a game for England in the euros against a half decent side that could ruin him because he’ll get torn apart.

Unless he concentrates harder for England than he does Villa?

It’s unfair of me to call out a player having not seen the game, but every other player gets called out for mistakes (rightly so) and Mings is not faultless this season

I can’t for the life of me understand any stick towards Reina, he was the best we could get in January and he’s looked good since joining. He’s not a robot and with the amount of shots he inevitably faces he’s not always gonna get it spot on. Pick on someone else who warrants it ffs.

How dare you call out the untouchable Mings.

I’ve only seen the highlights, he looked all over the shop. It’s like he smokes a couple of spliffs before a game he seems that laid back and chilled sometimes. If he starts a game for England in the euros against a half decent side that could ruin him because he’ll get torn apart.

Unless he concentrates harder for England than he does Villa?

It’s unfair of me to call out a player having not seen the game, but every other player gets called out for mistakes (rightly so) and Mings is not faultless this season

Having been there yesterday I thought Mings was the one defender getting us out of the shit yesterday actually.

You want to blame anyone then our full backs were the ones putting in a display that ranks with the worst I have ever seen from players in their positions.

Mings had a shocker yesterday, not a good day for his Instagram . Seems to be carrying an injury though , was definitely limping off at the end.
That England call up went to his head

Having been there yesterday I thought Mings was the one defender getting us out of the shit yesterday actually.

You want to blame anyone then our full backs were the ones putting in a display that ranks with the worst I have ever seen from players in their positions.

Frustrating as I thought Tarrgett would have wanted to prove a point yesterday. Freddy I can’t make my mind up about. One week he looks good enough for this league, the next he is all over the place. Don’t think it helped him yesterday being up against Djenepo who was bang at it

Mings had a shocker yesterday, not a good day for his Instagram . Seems to be carrying an injury though , was definitely limping off at the end.
That England call up went to his head

Our defence looks 10 times worse without him back there though. Put him in a better team and he will look quality again.

At one point yesterday it was Tyrone v the Southampton attack. Can't say I noticed Hause or Konsa heading crosses and corners clear and blocking shots. I saw them getting beat in the air by Shane Long.

I don't get the hostility towards Mings based on yesterday.

Watched yesterday and said I wouldnt watch MOTD but given the bloody aweful weather outside I decided to have a look a few moments ago.
If anything it looked even worse condenced into six minutes.
Very reminicent of some of the displays the year we went down.
Good to see we provided ammunition for the panel to take the piss out of yet again.