Southampton v Aston Villa - Match Thread, Sat 22nd February, 3pm | Page 3 | Vital Football

Southampton v Aston Villa - Match Thread, Sat 22nd February, 3pm

Yeah, not going to get a calculator out (!) but if we had won a few of the ones I thought were must wins, we'd be where the manager and CEO were claiming we were aiming at the get go, not right by the trapdoor.

I get your point, mine remains, we've had a few games that were, to me, must wins , that we lost.

We are now at the stage where every game is a must not lose it game

We are now going to have to get some results against the top sides we have coming up otherwise we are gone.

But we’ve actually won the same number of games than Arsenal this season who are 10th, and only 1 less than Wolves who are 8th, which would suggest actually it’s our inability to not lose which is the problem, rather than a problem with winning. We’ve only lost 1 game less than Norwich who are the only team worse than us in that regard. Obviously I’d rather win every game but sometimes it’s just about getting points on the board whenever we can. We have huge issues with game management and keeping concentration for the full 90 minutes. Agree though the longer time goes on the more desperate for full points we become.

Agree, if we knew how to shut up shop we’d have 5-6 more and it would be a whole different situation.

Although Engles made the mistake, I’d we had gone say 5-3-2 for the last few mins who knows if Freddy could’ve covered it? Will never know but we need to be smarter.

Just looking over on Erods predictor and every single prediction, win draw or lose has us down to score at least one goal.
It would seem its unanimous where our problem lies regardless of the lineup or the formation we play.

We beat Everton didn't we or did I dream that !
Wow , some people just go out of their way looking for negatives ;)
Don't come in here with your blind positivity Sil. I won't stand for it lol

200w.webp

They completely over ran our 3 man midfield last time, always seemed to have 2 if not 3 players snapping at Jacks heels every time he got on the ball and continuously ran in behind Engels with their pace. Their weakness is at the back if anywhere. First goal is hugely important in this one
Weak midfield too. Its ours if we want it.

Hourihane in please for the dead balls and free kicks jack will get around the box. That El Ghazi effort on Sunday from 22 yards , Jesus .
Praying Mings is back. Engels cannot start either way , he is dire.

Unless you have world class defenders and world class counter attacking players then 3-4-3 doesn’t work, we don’t have either (I wouldn’t class Grealish as a counter attacking player). 3-5-2 has the benefit of an extra defender and also the benefit of an extra midfielder. Maybe it’s slightly defensive but we need to tighten things up

You don't need world class defenders but I agree with what you're getting at.

For me its a combined problem, defensively Marv is carrying the entire midfield - he either has an unfit drinkwater beside him or Luiz who is inconsistent and not a strong tackler/defensive player. Plus he then has wing backs both bombing forward at the same time who are also suspect defensively (Guilbert was bought when we were still in the Championship!)

Mings has a similar problem, inexperienced himself despite his age due to injuries. He has Konsa on his right who is confident but he was playing League One football not so long ago and Hause who just isn't quite good enough.

Defensively it's a house of cards.

Edit: I get why people are upset with Dean, he is making a conscious decision to be open and play offensively. He could just make us dig in and be more solid and compact and hope Grealish finds space upfield on the break. Even with McGinn I am not sure we have the players to find a balance.