Southampton v Aston Villa - Match Thread, Sat 22nd February, 3pm | Page 2 | Vital Football

Southampton v Aston Villa - Match Thread, Sat 22nd February, 3pm

I thought Anwar had a decent game on Sunday , but we need someone to play closer to Samatta , so I would bench Anwar for an extra midfielder and play Super Jack No. 10.

I would prefer us to play 3-5-2 the way Sir Brian did.

Yes he did make the first goal from a fantastic ball from Reina and a good cross which Samgoal was about to head in when robbed by an og from Tubb arsehole or whatever he's called

I disagree. This is a must win game. Were running out of games to keep this 'must not lose' mentality. This is a game we could win and we bloody need to. We have to get 3 points from this game.

I'd go 3-5-2 and set up to counterattack for the first half.

Reina
Konsa Engels Mings
Guilbert Luiz Nakamba Hourihane(!) Targett
Grealish just behind Samagoal

The only reason for having Conor anywhere near the 11 is playing in a 3 you can carry him for the inevitable free kicks when SJG gets fouled.

After Alderweireld scored his first goal in 150 years against us....
Saints lost last 2 at home.
They have a shit home record .

We will be fine ....honestly . We won't ride into town and get their home record back on track or make sure they break their current losing streak. No chance. :cry:

I disagree. This is a must win game. Were running out of games to keep this 'must not lose' mentality. This is a game we could win and we bloody need to. We have to get 3 points from this game.

Yup. Been told a good few times through this season that the 'whatever' match wasn't a must win. The league table is suggesting they were though and this one for sure, when you see who else we face after.

After Alderweireld scored his first goal in 150 years against us....
Saints lost last 2 at home.
They have a shit home record .

We will be fine ....honestly . We won't ride into town and get their home record back on track or make sure they break their current losing streak. No chance. :cry:

We let Billing score his first EPL goal too lad or my favourite was when Diego Forlan scored his first goal against us too after being piss poor for all season.

Yup. Been told a good few times through this season that the 'whatever' match wasn't a must win. The league table is suggesting they were though and this one for sure, when you see who else we face after.

Yep. It's why I am still peed off about Sunday. Another glorious opportunity spurned. They are now all must win games regardless of the opposition. I realise that is unrealistic but tough. They have put themselves in this situation and under this pressure.

Yep. It's why I am still peed off about Sunday. Another glorious opportunity spurned. They are now all must win games regardless of the opposition. I realise that is unrealistic but tough. They have put themselves in this situation and under this pressure.
13 cup finals. If we can win 10 on the trot last season with that crappy squad we had, we can get a few this season too.

I've watched them in more games than that this season and their midfield isn't the strongest. Danny Ings is keeping them floating in the same way Benteke did for us. They're overall a poor team with a poor home record. Our midfield has to do better this time, it's shown it can hold it's own in a few games against similar level of opposition this season.

They completely over ran our 3 man midfield last time, always seemed to have 2 if not 3 players snapping at Jacks heels every time he got on the ball and continuously ran in behind Engels with their pace. Their weakness is at the back if anywhere. First goal is hugely important in this one

I thought El Ghazi was the right option against spurs which I posted pre game because of their poor defence, and his sometimes erratic play might cause them problems. Overal though he didn’t do an awful lot and wasn’t enough of a threat.

Away from home when there will be periods of the game we need some steel or a smart head to get behind the ball, he’s the last man you want on a pitch. I think he’s one of the stupidest footballers I’ve seen for sniffing the danger, not his game I know but as a winger I think you need to at least slightly conscious of this.

As a few have put, get Jack in the middle and bring Hourihane in for the one free kick we have in the game :grinning: That way, we pack the centre of the pitch out a bit to cover his weaknesses.

To be fair to Connor, as much as I’m not his biggest he deserves a chance because he’s not worse than Drunkwaiter even if they play different roles.

But we’ve actually won the same number of games than Arsenal this season who are 10th, and only 1 less than Wolves who are 8th, which would suggest actually it’s our inability to not lose which is the problem, rather than a problem with winning. We’ve only lost 1 game less than Norwich who are the only team worse than us in that regard. Obviously I’d rather win every game but sometimes it’s just about getting points on the board whenever we can. We have huge issues with game management and keeping concentration for the full 90 minutes. Agree though the longer time goes on the more desperate for full points we become.

If we play as we did against Spurs and manage to cut out the mistakes we'll win. Mings back would help.

Ings is what sparked Southampton into life and they can't rely on him. Otherwise they're pretty poor. They will try to rough things up in midfield and we have to deal with that.

I'd play the same team except Mings for Engels and Nakamba for Luiz. Danny and Nakamba should give us some bite in midfield.

As they're the home team I think they'll find it difficult just to sit back, which will give us chances.

I thought Anwar had a decent game on Sunday , but we need someone to play closer to Samatta , so I would bench Anwar for an extra midfielder and play Super Jack No. 10.

I would prefer us to play 3-5-2 the way Sir Brian did.

Yes I’ve been saying 3-5-2 for months. I don’t really get this 3-4-3 formation as it leaves too light in central midfielders, great having an extra centre back but if your too easy to cut through in midfield then the defenders are going to be under too much pressure to deal with no matter how many are at the back. Unless you have world class defenders and world class counter attacking players then 3-4-3 doesn’t work, we don’t have either (I wouldn’t class Grealish as a counter attacking player). 3-5-2 has the benefit of an extra defender and also the benefit of an extra midfielder. Maybe it’s slightly defensive but we need to tighten things up

Drunkwater should be nowhere near the team.
He was crap, but he missed the game v Bournemouth and we played even worse! Definitely between a rock and a hard place when it comes to midfield selection. Probably need to switch back to 3 in midfield to mask each of their deficiencies

But we’ve actually won the same number of games than Arsenal this season who are 10th, and only 1 less than Wolves who are 8th, which would suggest actually it’s our inability to not lose which is the problem, rather than a problem with winning. We’ve only lost 1 game less than Norwich who are the only team worse than us in that regard. Obviously I’d rather win every game but sometimes it’s just about getting points on the board whenever we can. We have huge issues with game management and keeping concentration for the full 90 minutes. Agree though the longer time goes on the more desperate for full points we become.

Yeah, not going to get a calculator out (!) but if we had won a few of the ones I thought were must wins, we'd be where the manager and CEO were claiming we were aiming at the get go, not right by the trapdoor.

I get your point, mine remains, we've had a few games that were, to me, must wins , that we lost.