South Park Stand 13/01/1990 - Memories | Page 3 | Vital Football

South Park Stand 13/01/1990 - Memories

I watched most of the 75/6 games from there. Back in the day when kids were lifted over the turnstyles and people were told to "utch up" to make room for them. ;)[/QUOTE said:
The benefit of having those bench seats.

I watched most of the 75/6 games from there. Back in the day when kids were lifted over the turnstyles and people were told to "utch up" to make room for them.
The benefit of having those bench seats.
A splinter group?

When I first started watching City, 42 years ago, my Dad and I used to sit in the South Park stand just in front of the “Tea Bar”. I can still remember the cartons of Five Alive and the strong smell of tobacco! The football not so much! Lots of memories of that Millwall game, what I saw of it before we were slowly shepherded out of the stand for our own safety! (They had moved an overspill of the Millwall fans in to the stand, with stewards pushing us out of the exits. Nearly packed in watching City at that point. The Millwall arses tried ripping up the ‘benches’, trying to set them on fire.)

I think anyone who was at that Millwall game will remember it well. I was sat in the St Andrews stand right above where the fighting took place at half time in the enclosure only to look up and see all the Millwall fans leaving the South Park stand en mass and running across the pitch. I hadn't realised they had ripped the benches out. It was a pretty horrendous night all round, probably the worst weather ive seen football played in at the bank, plus we lost. Whenever there was bother at football back then, the officials at all clubs would always say that it was a just a minority that caused it but i do believe that on this particular night, with the terrible weather keeping the crowd down to the 3000 mark that the troublemakers were actually in the majority, with our railway end only too happy to oblige. I often wondered what carnage would have happened if we had won and the weather had been better.It was when Millwall were at the height of their notoritey,

September 1975.

You are correct. Since none of the original 'media' still exist I retyped my South Park article about 4 years ago for potential use on a revamped Trust website and may of gone dyslexic with the Stoke City year. Being a complete pedant I wanted to check if the original in Deranged Ferret No.5 was also wrong but am now unable to find that issue along with Nos 29, 51, 52, 57 & 58. Looking at some of my other DF contributions in about 35 issues many are on a par with the 'rubbish' I now post on Vitals but I did chuckle re-reading some of my spoof letters (as used in Viz).

South Park Stand 17 2 1990.jpg
This picture was taken 17 2 1990, just after the South Park Stand had been demolished. City beat Colchester United 2-1. Personally, I never went in the South Park Stand. Usually the West Bank or Railway Terrace (or both after a half time swap) for me. The notes I wrote at the time state that for the previous home game against Wrexham away fans were housed in the St Andrews Stand. For this game, though, they were back in the enclosure in the Sincil Bank Terrace.

The old South Park Stand was very evocative of the traditional style ground back in the day even though it had a unique look and charm to it. Only sat in there a couple of times but I can remember fans stamping their feet on the wooden flooring. I recall some Burnley fans attempting to kick off in there too but cannot remember the year. Must be mid 1980s.

Didn't often sit in this stand, but it produced some atmosphere when full. I particularly remember two games, Sheff Wed March 1978 which we won 3-1 and I shouted "relegation Wednesday" after one of our goals, which produced a febrile reaction from nearby Imps and Owls fans.
The other was against Rotherham in 1985 which finished 3-3. I seem to remember the last goal was scored right on the final whistle and nobody was sure if the ref had given it.
I remember both those matches, but the Rotherham game was also around 1978

The Wendies taking over the West Bank that day is a bit of an urban myth, I was on there that day and remember the general uninhibited reaction when, after spending most of the second half defending a 2-1 lead with 10 men, Alan Jones helped Grotier's clearance on its way from about 30-35 yards to make it 3-1 late on.

Its not Chester ... the first time they came they did take the entire Westbank bringing 7k for a 1-1 draw, its no myth I'm afraid.

The following season re: Jones's 40+ yarder they didn't. Wednesday fans wrote to The Chronicle complaining that they were penned dangerously so, in the corner and weren't allowed on the empty South Park Stand terrace to their right .... some moaned that they didn't get in till half-time (only one turnstile open) as the queue went as far back as the Roundabout.

sheff weds.jpg

Its not Chester ... the first time they came they did take the entire Westbank bringing 7k for a 1-1 draw, its no myth I'm afraid.

The following season re: Jones's 40+ yarder they didn't. Wednesday fans wrote to The Chronicle complaining that they were penned dangerously so, in the corner and weren't allowed on the empty South Park Stand terrace to their right .... some moaned that they didn't get in till half-time (only one turnstile open) as the queue went as far back as the Roundabout.

View attachment 40548
Thanks, as per my earlier post I've acknowledged I got the wrong match and stand corrected!

Has anyone got a photo (before or after) of the night the wall collapsed v Stoke?

I was sat on the S/E corner wall behind the corner flag watching transfixed as the event unfolded .... and I always wondered why they didn't rebuild it afterwards. It was only a wall for goodness sake, and it made the SP Stand look even more carbuncular (we've got form for that haven't we?) than previously.

For the record I only went in it once v Oxford 84ish, when Clint Phillips (a Chelsea fan) got everyone singing "one man went to mow".

The old South Park Stand was very evocative of the traditional style ground back in the day even though it had a unique look and charm to it. Only sat in there a couple of times but I can remember fans stamping their feet on the wooden flooring. I recall some Burnley fans attempting to kick off in there too but cannot remember the year. Must be mid 1980s.
If it's the game I'm thinking of Imposter it's was from 89/90 season (not long before the stand shut), John Schofield scored with a header early on v Burnley and it kicked off up there, remember a mum running out there with a child holding her hand.
We were in our usual spot back then under the floodlight in the SE corner terrace, another part of the ground that's long gone.

The “new” South Park stand is the only part of the ground I haven’t seen a game from (at least in my lifetime not counting when West Bank was just a bank).
Think I’ve been in old & new St Andrews including the posh seats, St Andrews terrace, corner terrace, Railway End, Stacey West ( standing & sitting), West Bank, Co-op Stand, Old South Park, Exec boxes.

If it's the game I'm thinking of Imposter it's was from 89/90 season (not long before the stand shut), John Schofield scored with a header early on v Burnley and it kicked off up there, remember a mum running out there with a child holding her hand.
We were in our usual spot back then under the floodlight in the SE corner terrace, another part of the ground that's long gone.
That's correct Davidimp. The date was 25/11/1989. For some reason I made a record of the fact that was the last time football hooliganism took place in that stand.
I hope everyone has enjoyed this thread. I will be posting some more images of the old ground later.

Photo was taken in the first half with the Imps attacking the South Park end, wall went immediately after Ratter's second half winner.
If only there was footage of this game ... If I had a DeLoreon this would be one of the first games I'd go back to (and hand myself a Sports Almanac obviously)

The “new” South Park stand is the only part of the ground I haven’t seen a game from (at least in my lifetime not counting when West Bank was just a bank).
Think I’ve been in old & new St Andrews including the posh seats, St Andrews terrace, corner terrace, Railway End, Stacey West ( standing & sitting), West Bank, Co-op Stand, Old South Park, Exec boxes.

You’ve not missed out. the view is not the best even from the back. Mind you, it’s marginally better than the bicycle shed 😆