South Park Stand 13/01/1990 - Memories | Page 6 | Vital Football

South Park Stand 13/01/1990 - Memories

When did people start calling the Sincil Bank side the West Bank?

Can't remember exactly - some time in the 1970s/80s I should think.

The reason being that "West Bank, West Bank, give us a song!" sounded so much snappier than "Sincil Bank side, Sincil Bank side, give us a song!" would have done.

Sincil Bank Terrace Away Enclosure 2 (S).jpg
Sincil Bank Terrace, Away Fans Enclosure, to the right of this picture, taken 13 1 1990. I've mostly attended City matches since 1986, with a few visits prior to that. I've always known this terracing as the West Bank. I'll follow it up with a slightly better view.

View attachment 40594
Sincil Bank Terrace, Away Fans Enclosure, to the right of this picture, taken 13 1 1990. I've mostly attended City matches since 1986, with a few visits prior to that. I've always known this terracing as the West Bank. I'll follow it up with a slightly better view.

Compared to today it shows how far the SB development has come out of the 'dark' ages of football grounds to the family friendly entertainment environment now .

Sincil Bank Terrace Away Enclosure (R).jpg
Another view of the Sincil Bank Terrace, Away Fans Enclosure. I can just about make out 3 hardy Aldershot fans present in the distance (not the 2 lads in front who are City fans). Aldershot clearly travelled in big numbers in those days! You only need to look at this picture to see what state football had got itself into in those days. There was a "sterile" area between where we stood and where the Away Fans enclosure was located. Not quite enough to stop the occasional missile from crossing the gap. I used to like starting off by watching the game from roughly where this picture was taken, as in those days we invariably attacked toward the South Park end in the first half. After that, me and my brother and a couple of others would head off to the Railway Terrace for the second half.

I have fond memories of watching matches from the St Andrews and South Park stands from 1965 to 1971. The St Andrews stand probably gave a better sideways-on view of the match but, the South Park stand gave that breathtaking view of the cathedral (with the added interest of steam trains passing from time to time) and on a cold winters night it was a sight to behold seeing that remarkable building sitting above the railway embankment!

Can't remember exactly - some time in the 1970s/80s I should think.

The reason being that "West Bank, West Bank, give us a song!" sounded so much snappier than "Sincil Bank side, Sincil Bank side, give us a song!" would have done.

Fifty years this month since I left Lincoln.

I don't recall there being a choirfest in the Railway end in the 70s.

Fifty years this month since I left Lincoln.

I don't recall there being a choirfest in the Railway end in the 70s.

Perhaps the 1980s then. But they were certainly very active in the late 1960s, with such long-forgotten songs as "Hey, hey, the reds are here", "All you need is Ford" and "You'll not see nothing like the City team."

I just used to mime of course.

We never ever called it the West Bank, always the Sincil Bank side, and thats from 1960 until it wasn't anymore. Great 'airey' toilets and barbed wire on top of the bank to stop fans escaping. The rumours of machine gun posts were untrue. Those were the days !!
We’re there not broken glass bottles on top of the walls too?

Further information on ticket prices on the terraces. Until 1966-67 there were separate prices for Sincil Bank, the Shelter (Railway End) and the Terrace (in front of St Andrew's Stand). As an example, in 1948-49 the adult price for Sincil Bank was 1s 3d, for the Shelter it was 1s 6d and for the Terrace it was 2s 6d.

From 1967-68 prices were for Ground (Sincil Bank and Railway End) and Terrace (front of St Andrew's Stand).

From 1970-71 there was a single price for all three areas of terracing.

I remember paying £1.10 to go in the corner terrace and I had season in there in the early 90s it was £69.

I know underneath the new stand the hospitality is split into two but the bar areas in the old South Park Stand seemed cavernous to what we have today. Also am I imagining that there was a window in the old SP stand overlooking the pitch? I'm pretty sure it was decorated with curry house red flock wallpaper as well.

There were definitely windows in the lower part of the st Andrews stand that looked out across the pitch.