🚹 Son Heung-Min - Player Thread | Page 15 | Vital Football

🚹 Son Heung-Min - Player Thread

Captaincy is a tough call if Lloris and Kane leave. Especially if Hobby goes too. Out of our senior players only Son will remain as a first choice starter.

Even if Dier and Davies stay, I can't see them.being more than bench rotation options, ditto for Skipp.

Porro and Romero seem to have the right drive but are too junior, both I could see as future captains.

So we might actually end up with Son by default.

Son seems to do a good job as captain for his country. He's mostly loved by his teammates bar the one fight with Hugo. It might help him raise his game further if we gave it to him, shows we trust him as the main man now Kane's left - he's carried that weight on his shoulders successfully before when Kane's been injured.

I'd go for Bentancur too but I don't think it's as ridiculous a suggestion as some thing. I think people can over estimate the captain's role on the pitch tbh. You can still have vocal organisers behind him shouting at players to keep shape. A captain can just be the best guy to put an arm round a players shoulder after a mistake and tell them to keep their head in the game, lead by example and as others say, grab a game by the scruff of the neck and we know he has all that in his locker.

Son seems to do a good job as captain for his country. He's mostly loved by his teammates bar the one fight with Hugo. It might help him raise his game further if we gave it to him, shows we trust him as the main man now Kane's left - he's carried that weight on his shoulders successfully before when Kane's been injured.

I'd go for Bentancur too but I don't think it's as ridiculous a suggestion as some thing. I think people can over estimate the captain's role on the pitch tbh. You can still have vocal organisers behind him shouting at players to keep shape. A captain can just be the best guy to put an arm round a players shoulder after a mistake and tell them to keep their head in the game, lead by example and as others say, grab a game by the scruff of the neck and we know he has all that in his locker.
Whatever the criteria is for the captaincy for it to have any value it has to be earned. And after the season Son has just had he certainly hasn't earned it. It would take rewarding mediocrity to a new level at Spurs.

Hopefully, from what we've seen and heard about AP, he's cut from a different cloth from recent Head Coaches and he's more likely to choose a player on merit.

I wouldn't mind seeing Son given the vice captaincy, but not the captaincy. I think he does a good job as captain for SK, but for club it is a bigger job.

Son is a big character around the team and he does inspire a lot of our younger players. He has good leadership qualities.

I wouldn't mind seeing Son given the vice captaincy, but not the captaincy. I think he does a good job as captain for SK, but for club it is a bigger job.

Son is a big character around the team and he does inspire a lot of our younger players. He has good leadership qualities.
What are his leadership qualities?

I would have expected him to have been in the so-called 'committee' given his seniority but he wasn't.

Call me old fashioned but I'm only picking the captain from centre half and centre mid. Assuming, they need to play most weeks that leaves 3 obvious choices - Biss, Bents, Romero.

If you deviate from those 3, then you perhaps introduce Maddison. My instinct is that he'd grasp that nettle and take the captaincy very seriously. He is our talisman who will be our biggest goal creator and take the free-kicks.

So Big Ange should assess the personalities of these 4 and pick a captain and vice-captain.

I don't want to see that armband anywhere near Kane, Son, Hojbjerg or Davies.

Whoever it is has to have respect. They have to be good enough and be consistent. We can't have any old guard near it IMO. Davies and Dier can't be considered.

It's utterly ridiculous We are still in this position nearly 4 years later.

All entirely speculative, for as long as Kane is at the Club he will be captain, and Levy won't be letting him go anywhere right now. I'm not saying that that will necessarily be the right decision, but I'll be very surprised if Kane isn't in the eleven for Postco's first PL outing. Levy will want Postco to have every chance to succeed, and the odds on that happening are considerably better if Kane remains with us.

All entirely speculative, for as long as Kane is at the Club he will be captain, and Levy won't be letting him go anywhere right now. I'm not saying that that will necessarily be the right decision, but I'll be very surprised if Kane isn't in the eleven for Postco's first PL outing. Levy will want Postco to have every chance to succeed, and the odds on that happening are considerably better if Kane remains with us.

I think you're right. Once again we may become subservient to Kane by letting him continue being the captain. He'll be pushing Maddison out of the way and taking the free-kicks.

Even if he signs the new contract, I would not consider him as someone that should ever wear the armband. In the current England team I would have Hendo, Stones, Maguire, Walker and Rice as ahead of him.

This is where we learn a lot about Big Ange.

I think you're right. Once again we may become subservient to Kane by letting him continue being the captain. He'll be pushing Maddison out of the way and taking the free-kicks.

Even if he signs the new contract, I would not consider him as someone that should ever wear the armband. In the current England team I would have Hendo, Stones, Maguire, Walker and Rice as ahead of him.

I think it will be a club decision unfortunately. If Hugo goes and Kane stays, it's a certainty Kane gets the arm band.

It will be all for the wrong reasons.

Will AP get the backing from the board and the fans if he starts making those tough decisions? That's my fear.

Kane is so beyond the pale as to any sort of scrutiny beyond forums like these that I can just see the backlash now if he pulls him after 60 minutes because he's not happy with what he's seeing. Or he doesn't start him every game.

If Kane runs down his contract and we have another season that doesn't meet expectations there will be only one person taking the flak and we'll be looking for a new manager next season and having the same discussions on here in a year's time. .

Hadnt even considered it but the Loris/Kane captaincy has been as dull as dishwater for me. Zero drive and communication. Fergie used to say he didnt need to manage whilst he had Keane on the pitch because he did the managing for him. What kind of message has the apathetic Loris and Kane given our team over last 3-4 seasons?

Muttley made a good point earlier. New start, new captain. Why not Maddison. He has the character. He never wilted even in relegation battle and from what i have seen of him he is not one to back down. Him and Bents would be good for me. Biss needs to nail down that starting position first for me.

National captain for son is a walk in the park. Even on his darkest day he is the star of the team and the fans think he walks on water. We need someone with the right attitude and drive to be able to effect the team even when things arent 100% with their own game. Son is 100% incapable of this. When he is off the game we dont even know he is on the pitch.

I think it will be a club decision unfortunately. If Hugo goes and Kane stays, it's a certainty Kane gets the arm band.

It will be all for the wrong reasons.
Whilst I will be happy to see Kane remain with us, the prospect of Richarlison leading the attack horrifies me, I do share the view regarding his taking over the captaincy. For me he doesn't demonstrate any worthwhile leadership qualities.
Romero looks like the best candidate, albeit that given the temperament he's often displayed, he will be a gamble, whilst Bentancur doesn't enter the equation because he's still out for quite sometime, and its unlikely that whoever takes over initially from Lloris will then be replaced a few months later (although it's not out of the question I guess that Bentancur maybe named Club captain as soon as Lloris departs).
As I've said though, all academic, if Kane's at the Club I'd be amazed if anybody else was given the captaincy, and I'll be surprised if he's not at the Club next season.

Will AP get the backing from the board and the fans if he starts making those tough decisions? That's my fear.

Kane is so beyond the pale as to any sort of scrutiny beyond forums like these that I can just see the backlash now if he pulls him after 60 minutes because he's not happy with what he's seeing. Or he doesn't start him every game.

If Kane runs down his contract and we have another season that doesn't meet expectations there will be only one person taking the flak and we'll be looking for a new manager next season and having the same discussions on here in a year's time. .

I get it, but even if Kane signs up for an additional 2 years he must understand that every thirty-something gets subbed more than the younger lads.

Everyone is just assuming that Kane will get another 30 goals every season for any club he plays for. He simply won't. His body will slow down and so will the goals. Just like what happened to Shearer.

Post's system may slow down Kane's goal as well. They will be shared around. Celtic scored 114 league goals in an easy league but Kyogo only got 27 (24%) of them. Kane got 48% of ours.

I dread the thought of Levy allowing Harry to run that final year down and walking away from the money. I still think Levy will take the money.