So, Who Will Stay & Who Will Go? | Page 3 | Vital Football

So, Who Will Stay & Who Will Go?

As things stand a bang average L1 midfielder looks like something we need. I'd also like to see him get a run of games. The season before last he was on loan at Wimbledon (I think) and the fans there rated him if I recall correctly.
Who knows maybe Sanders will come good .I'm hoping he can.

To all of you who are advocates for Sanders, can you please tell me what you see in him? I have only seen him on iFollow, but I am struggling to see a League One player of the future there. What attributes are you seeing that I am not?

No one will be able to answer that properly, because the real answer is simply that MApp was hesitant to play Sanders even when the midfield was badly misfiring, so therefore, for some, there's some sort of conspiracy and/or MApp is an idiot, for not playing our greatest ever undiscovered gem. Of course, it might just be that the manager knows slightly more than all of us, and Sanders isn't ready/good enough, but why let the truth get in the way of a good story?

See also the hype on here about Draper last Autumn. Purely based on a mixture of desperation and him being 'local'. Apart from being surprisingly powerful for his age what exactly did young Freddie do this season? (Rhetorical question. The answer is 'not much')

Before anyone flies in, none of that is meant of a criticism of either player - both of whom will be with the club next season, I reckon, and hopefully, will both come good - more a reflection on the slightly hysterical nature of this forum at times.

The best place for some players can be on the bench because they become better than if they were playing!

I think the Sanders issue is more because he doesn't seem to have been given a chance, even when the midfield was mis-firing, and doesn't seem to have been given as many chances as others (Sorenson as an example).

Next seasons starting budget is going to be exactly the same as this seasons starting budget.

We went over budget in January to try and ensure survival, and the comment that has been made about it on the radio has been misunderstood.
Thanks for clarifying that Jules. It did seem like most of the stuff I read, was showing a budget reduction, so nice to be proven wrong.
However, one thing is for sure, we will have a lower budget than the majority of clubs next season. So I think that it is that, that will dictate who is going to be able to come in, and who we get rid of.
Might be why MA said what he did about those going, and coming in. High Earners to go??? Will be a VERY interesting watch, plus with a shorter turn-around (kind of like the play off final time), it will be a lot harder.
I for one can't wait.

No one will be able to answer that properly, because the real answer is simply that MApp was hesitant to play Sanders even when the midfield was badly misfiring, so therefore, for some, there's some sort of conspiracy and/or MApp is an idiot, for not playing our greatest ever undiscovered gem. Of course, it might just be that the manager knows slightly more than all of us, and Sanders isn't ready/good enough, but why let the truth get in the way of a good story?

See also the hype on here about Draper last Autumn. Purely based on a mixture of desperation and him being 'local'. Apart from being surprisingly powerful for his age what exactly did young Freddie do this season? (Rhetorical question. The answer is 'not much')

Before anyone flies in, none of that is meant of a criticism of either player - both of whom will be with the club next season, I reckon, and hopefully, will both come good - more a reflection on the slightly hysterical nature of this forum at times.

Eh? What? The Manager might know a thing or two more than Barry from Metheringham, who used to play right back for Coleby on a Saturday afternoon? Well I never.

Just on Sanders, Mapp hinted a few different things in interviews. I think one was a comment about his concentration, and one about playing 'like an u23 player'.

I don't think he has been particularly great in the last few appearances, but earlier in the season I thought he played quite well. Tried to pass forward, got about the pitch a bit etc. I think that's why some supporters liked him especially as the midfield had been a bit of a mess. But there were clearly some other things Appleton didn't love that were maybe less noticeable outside of him just being on the ball.

I thought it was interesting Appleton saying after MK(?) that Sanders was really good if we had runners he could play through balls to and pick out wingers. I think a bit like Fiorini, we haven't always had those options for midfield players to find this season.

Last edited:
The best place for some players can be on the bench because they become better than if they were playing!

I think the Sanders issue is more because he doesn't seem to have been given a chance, even when the midfield was mis-firing, and doesn't seem to have been given as many chances as others (Sorenson as an example).

Yet exactly. I don't think anyone is saying he is amazing but rather to make our model work should we be giving him the chance to develop that, say, Fiorini has. Of course, if it's been judged that he simply isn't up to it and no amount of game time will change that then fair enough.

Eh? What? The Manager might know a thing or two more than Barry from Metheringham, who used to play right back for Coleby on a Saturday afternoon? Well I never.

Must have been Barry, of Meg, who I heard a couple of times this season then, saying "I just can't understand why he doesn't play Sanders".

Whether it was a question or a statement of simple fact, I don't know, but apparently everyone's entitled to an opinion, about everything (even if they have no idea what they're talking about). Some people just have to talk.

£5 to the first reply to point out "that's what message boards are all about".

Must have been Barry, of Meg, who I heard a couple of times this season then, saying "I just can't understand why he doesn't play Sanders".

Whether it was a question or a statement of simple fact, I don't know, but apparently everyone's entitled to an opinion, about everything (even if they have no idea what they're talking about). Some people just have to talk.

£5 to the first reply to point out "that's what message boards are all about".

that's what message boards are all about.

That's a very good point. We all badly want to see homegrown players succeed but there definitely is a tendency on here to make far more of them than is realistic. Draper failed to score in nine appearances (admittedly only three starts) but he is only 17 - expectations are too high on that basis, which is not necessarily a good thing for the player. Will he play regularly next season? I would be extremely surprised if he does, and the same goes for Long, Makama and the others. History shows that the majority of our teenage prodigies never make it in professional football, and that is probably where our expectations should rest. If any surpass that, fantastic.

Besides which, our budget isn't pitiful like some seem to believe. I expect our first team next season to consist largely of good quality League One players with an occasional sprinkling of youngsters - the same as it has always been, in fact.

History shows that the majority of our teenage prodigies never make it in professional football, and that is probably where our expectations should rest. If any surpass that, fantastic.

I agree with this, but it does mean our youth system always seems to have a whiff of "jam tomorrow" about it.

I think a smaller but better squad is obviously the way to go isn't it. That's why you'll hear it from a lot of managers, not just with us. It's very hard to achieve though - in order to really make it work you need a more or less 100% success rate in signings. Miss that and you need to start adding more players and you start getting that squad bloat.

I don't know that as an aspiration it tells you much at all really - who is going to say 'I intend to sign half a dozen players who'll barely play'? No-one but most clubs still have those players on the books.
A smaller but better squad is the way to go for a financially prudent Club such as our own. But injuries would become an even greater concern (if that’s possible) with a smaller squad. I think we really need to look at our training programme to make sure we are preparing the players to the level we should be; physically and method.

Something many have commented upon on here.
Appleton’s comments mirror what a fair few were saying months ago, and being shot down for saying, that there would need to be a mass overhaul in the summer. Good to hear it, but wish it wasn’t necessary. Now that it has been said, will Clive and the Board be willing and able to provide the support that MA is wanting? Is that scale of a revamp already budgeted for, or will we end up with another unbalanced squad? Will MA stay if recruitment seems to be going belly up again? Exciting close season ahead!

I think we need to make sure we don’t overreact. Ok, this season hasn’t gone the way we want. Doesn’t mean we need to ditch the whole squad. Jackson is still a league 1 quality cb. He’s just been unlucky with concussions. Sanders and Sorensen have given me no reason to think they’re not league 1 quality.

We’ve had a bad season for many reasons that are out of control and we do need some improvements but I think there is something to say for the risk of a signing not working