So, Who Will Stay & Who Will Go? | Page 2 | Vital Football

So, Who Will Stay & Who Will Go?

Broadly agree with the opening post.

I'm not sure it's even worth keeping Bridcutt on a pay as you play deal, tbh. I'm in two minds on Jackson because we have Walsh so I'd be inclined to release him.

House playing in CM against Cheltenham ahead of Sorenson had a Draper/N'Lundulu feel about it.

I think we need a better defensive full back that Bramall, who is perhaps Robson but neither have done enough to convince me this season. Sanders is an obvious one to leave, likewise Archibald.

Bishop, I'd keep. He's versatile, and in all fairness to him, I think he's had a fairly decent season given how often he's been shifted about.

MA won't get rid of Maguire I wouldn't have thought and Adelakan is perhaps one to get out on loan for a season to see if this season can be put down to a very bad one rather than the norm.

I think the Jackson/Poole partnership has been alright; it's a tricky one as I kind of wish Jackson was under contract and we could release Walsh rather than Walsh being contracted for another year. Jackson's injuries and concussion issues feel a bit more freak than Walsh picking up strains, muscle injuries etc all the time.

"I am not aware that Hopper is in MA's bad books - I would be interested to learn where the OP got that from. "

I based that purely on the last few games where Hopper has not got a look in. Especially Saturday - a windy day, bobbly pitch, and playing against a team of giants - and Cullen gets the nod up front. A loan player and not tall either selected ahead of our main (and previously) very successful target man.

Not only was it a huge selection error, but an indication to me that its possible Hopper is not in MA's plans for next season. I do hope I'm wrong though.

On other comments, I agree completely that it will not be easy to move contracted players on. We have to do it though. I'm very encouraged by MA's statement that he needs space i the squad for the younger players, and we really don't want their path to the first team blocked by either other club's players or players of our own who have no long term future here.

I think the Jackson/Poole partnership has been alright; it's a tricky one as I kind of wish Jackson was under contract and we could release Walsh rather than Walsh being contracted for another year. Jackson's injuries and concussion issues feel a bit more freak than Walsh picking up strains, muscle injuries etc all the time.
Yeah, agreed, but I think it's a risk to carry Walsh and Jackson again, especially when you consider we're going to have Montsma coming back from an ACL.

I'm going to go against the grain slightly here and, perhaps controversially, question whether we want Poole as a long-term CB either. I'm not completely sold on that in all honesty. I think it was Burton at home where he was throwing himself into challenges and last ditch defending and whilst everyone seemed to love it, you don't see much of that in L1 from CB's. Granted, he was probably covering for other players in some instances but the whole last ditch thing isn't you often see from a Jackson or Walsh, for example.

He's also the sort of CB, from a height point of view, that attackers will pull on to but I'm a traditionalist and like my CB's aerially dominant! Got a decent spring on him, mind.

That said, he's still only 23 so not the finished article.

Yeah, agreed, but I think it's a risk to carry Walsh and Jackson again, especially when you consider we're going to have Montsma coming back from an ACL.

I'm going to go against the grain slightly here and, perhaps controversially, question whether we want Poole as a long-term CB either. I'm not completely sold on that in all honesty. I think it was Burton at home where he was throwing himself into challenges and last ditch defending and whilst everyone seemed to love it, you don't see much of that in L1 from CB's. Granted, he was probably covering for other players in some instances but the whole last ditch thing isn't you often see from a Jackson or Walsh, for example.

He's also the sort of CB, from a height point of view, that attackers will pull on to but I'm a traditionalist and like my CB's aerially dominant! Got a decent spring on him, mind.

That said, he's still only 23 so not the finished article.

See the logic, although I'm not sure you really need to be aerially dominant the way most teams play in L1 and I think he stood up okay to some of those more direct teams when he has played them (like Wycombe).

I think his best position would still be the right sided CB in a 3 but it's not as if we've played that that regularly. Not sure it'll be plan a for next season.

Agree with most of the post.
I would still make few changes to it though. First I would try to find us a safer pair of hands and let Long go on loan for one more season with Wright being a back up.
I would still keep Bishop due to his versality. Also I would not hold my breath that Maguire will leave but I would love to see that. Shame with Sanders but I think he will go.
As for Poole I don't really know where he should play. I think as a RB he will be steady defensively but won't give us much going forward. As a CB he would do great job but won't be dominant enough in the air. Best position is for him RCB when we play 3 at the back. Trouble is I don't think we will play this formation next season. One thing for sure, I love his attitude and determination so either way is good to have him in the squad.
In general we have to go for smaller but better squad. Plenty of changes required as there is a bit of dead wood to get rid off as well as usual injury prone suspects.

What you said is basically my hope for next season. Just cannot see how it is possible with the current squad.

If a number of players under contract do leave then i will be more optimistic but players like Sanders, Hakeeb, Hopper or any players that Michael was referring to are not going to leave unless it is financially and right for them footballing wise, other clubs are going to want to sign our under achieving players for the 2 out 1 in to be successful.

I think after witnessing Saturday's game at Accrington i am still on a downer with them, I don't mind watching my team lose but the distinct lack of passion and footballing ability on Saturday has probably affecting my footballing mood.
Chin up imps1. As has been mentioned, players that are not in the managers plans do tend to work something out and go. I expect we will take an unfortunate hit somewhere, to some extent, but it will in effect create at least some 'projected savings' for the kitty.

As for Accrington, it was as end a season game as I've ever seen, in the most difficult of weather conditions. Those issues in combination with the early match injuries didn't help but at least probably assisted giving MA 100% certainty of mind going forward; so far as the response went from what was a proper hotch potch side that will barely resemble our starting XI next year.

Time for a clean slate, a good recuperation opportunity for those that will feature next year and for the recruitment department to go into over drive.

Last edited:
From MA:-

"For us to be better, to get better, there maybe has to be double the amount that leave compared to the amount that come in. And maybe one or two young players might have to step up to the mark and come into the first-team environment. They’ve done it sporadically this season, they train with us quite a lot. There’s a lot of things and a lot of movement that has to happen this year for us to be better next year.”

We won't know for a few more weeks, but for what its worth, here's my take for next season's squad:-

Goalkeepers - Long, Wright

Full Backs - Bramall, Robson, Eyoma

Centre Backs - Poole, Montsma, Roughan, one of Jackson or Walsh

Midfielders - Bridcutt (only if its pay per game)

Forwards - Scully, Hopper, House, Kendal, Draper, Makama

TO LEAVE:-

End of Contact: McGrandles, Marquis, Jackson

In Contract But Should Be Released/Transfer Listed: Bishop, Sorenson, Adelakan, Maguire, Sanders

That would allow us to bring in 4, assuming we can move on at least 5 contracted players plus the 3 out of contract. We are severely short in midfield - where we desperately need huge changews anyway - and probably need another right back and wide player too.

Selling Scully might of course be on the cards, and Hopper seems to be in the MA bad books at present (along with a few others).

I would definitely give McGrandles a new contact, but with his partner already back in Scotland, I can see why he won't stay.

What are everyone's else's views?
It is awfully difficult getting rid of people on contracts especially well paid ones that no League two club or National League side could or would want to afford. ahem. We are Stuck with Maguire as the manager loves him.
I would keep Sanders however the manager does not rate him so unlikely. We are likely to have to offer some financial inducement/loss to punt Adelakun or Sorenson.
The only out of contract player I would want to keep is McGrandles and in my view the best player over the last two seasons.

Agree with this. I'd prefer to keep Jackson, he does seem more robust than Walsh. Sadly for Joe, he just appears to be broken. As good a player as he is, for much of the season he's been as good at CB as my 88 year old dad with plastic knees.

Loan out on the basis that they will come back better after a year playing every single week:
Sam Long
Max Sanders
Lasse Sorensen
Hakeeb Adelakun

Sell or release (when contract expires):
Max Melbourne
Joe Walsh
Adam Jackson
Liam Bridcutt
Theo Archibald
Chris Maguire

Happy to keep for the squad, but will listen to offers:
Tom Hopper

Take a closer look before deciding:
Charley Kendall
Freddie Draper
Ben House (still early days, in my opinion)

Ideally keep, but unlikely:
John Marquis
Conor McGrandles

Keep:
Jordan Wright (back up)
Regan Poole
TJ Eyoma
Cohen Bramall
Jamie Robson
Sean Roughan
Ted Bishop
Anthony Scully

Appleton will be busy!

Loan out on the basis that they will come back better after a year playing every single week:
Sam Long
Max Sanders
Lasse Sorensen
Hakeeb Adelakun

Sell or release (when contract expires):
Max Melbourne
Joe Walsh
Adam Jackson
Liam Bridcutt
Theo Archibald
Chris Maguire

Happy to keep for the squad, but will listen to offers:
Tom Hopper

Take a closer look before deciding:
Charley Kendall
Freddie Draper
Ben House (still early days, in my opinion)

Ideally keep, but unlikely:
John Marquis
Conor McGrandles

Keep:
Jordan Wright (back up)
Regan Poole
TJ Eyoma
Cohen Bramall
Jamie Robson
Sean Roughan
Ted Bishop
Anthony Scully

Appleton will be busy!

Saves mw writing out my list, mines pretty much the same, but I'd like to see Sanders given more chance and I'd probably listen to offers for sorensen.

Not too bothered by the loan players we have other than Fiorini and maybe whittaker.

I based that purely on the last few games where Hopper has not got a look in. Especially Saturday - a windy day, bobbly pitch, and playing against a team of giants - and Cullen gets the nod up front. A loan player and not tall either selected ahead of our main (and previously) very successful target man.

Not only was it a huge selection error, but an indication to me that its possible Hopper is not in MA's plans for next season. I do hope I'm wrong though.
I think MA has simply been careful with Hopper's fitness. He was out for five or six months with a genuine long-term injury, and there is little point making him play a large number of games when we have been edging towards safety for some time. MA rates Hopper, I would be surprised if he has changed his mind.

Saves mw writing out my list, mines pretty much the same, but I'd like to see Sanders given more chance and I'd probably listen to offers for sorensen.

Not too bothered by the loan players we have other than Fiorini and maybe whittaker.

I’d like to see Sanders more often, but I just don’t think MA rates him. The stumbling block in terms of selling him, for me, is his age - I honestly believe a season playing 35+ games at a team in League 2 would do him the world of good.

Likewise Sorensen, although agreed, if someone comes in and meet our valuation then so be it.

I decided not to include the loanees, but Griffiths, BNC and Fiorini will all be in the championship. Whittaker may flourish with a full pre-season with us, but has already gone on record saying he wants to fight for his place at Swansea. Which leaves Cullen, who I can’t make head nor tail of!

To all of you who are advocates for Sanders, can you please tell me what you see in him? I have only seen him on iFollow, but I am struggling to see a League One player of the future there. What attributes are you seeing that I am not?

Maybe completely wrong here, but it sounds like MA is going to be building a team, based more on budget constraints than ever before. We already know it is going to be a smaller transfer budget.

So despite everyone's misgivings, and the fact MA touted youngsters having to step up, I fully expect to see Wright as No.1 keeper next season.

So,

Keepers - Wright + Long (back-up) - Not ideal, but think finances will dictate this

Defence:
Regan Poole
TJ Eyoma
Cohen Bramall
Jamie Robson
Sean Roughan
Lewis Montsma

Hopefully, Montsma will come back stronger from his injury, and he is a good prospect.

Midfield - most difficult, as we don't really have one now, and will be worse when (not if) McGrandles goes.
But potentially
Bishop
House
Sanders - give him a go I say,
Two midfielders on a permanent contract, + 1 Loan

Up front
Scully (although I think he will go)
Hopper
Kendall (will be good to see if he can make step up)
Draper

So only a squad of 18 players. Will have to make up numbers with loans, but don't expect a squad of much more to be honest.

I would also keep Sanders.

He does all the basics right - he can pass, he can tackle, and his positional sense is good as regards covering for other players.

The big problem is he has never had a run of games to show what he can do. His confidence level must be low, because there have been times he has played well but been left out again the following game.

I thought I read in a post that MA had said in an interview a couple of months ago that Sanders would definitely be here next season. So maybe MA does think he has something, even though his traetment of him this season says exactly the opposite.

Will be interesting too if he was one of the players MA had in mind in his criticisms after Saturday's game. Personally I thought Sanders did OK. Not great but not poor. I guess this Saturday's team will tell - if Sanders is not selected he will be transfer listed this summer.

To all of you who are advocates for Sanders, can you please tell me what you see in him? I have only seen him on iFollow, but I am struggling to see a League One player of the future there. What attributes are you seeing that I am not?
I agree.I want Sanders to do well but at this time I can only see a bang average midfielder.I would very happy to be proved wrong if he stays though .

I agree.I want Sanders to do well but at this time I can only see a bang average midfielder.I would very happy to be proved wrong if he stays though .
As things stand a bang average L1 midfielder looks like something we need. I'd also like to see him get a run of games. The season before last he was on loan at Wimbledon (I think) and the fans there rated him if I recall correctly.