So, Who Will Stay & Who Will Go? | Vital Football

So, Who Will Stay & Who Will Go?

mikeosullivan

Vital Squad Member
From MA:-

"For us to be better, to get better, there maybe has to be double the amount that leave compared to the amount that come in. And maybe one or two young players might have to step up to the mark and come into the first-team environment. They’ve done it sporadically this season, they train with us quite a lot. There’s a lot of things and a lot of movement that has to happen this year for us to be better next year.”

We won't know for a few more weeks, but for what its worth, here's my take for next season's squad:-

Goalkeepers - Long, Wright

Full Backs - Bramall, Robson, Eyoma

Centre Backs - Poole, Montsma, Roughan, one of Jackson or Walsh

Midfielders - Bridcutt (only if its pay per game)

Forwards - Scully, Hopper, House, Kendal, Draper, Makama

TO LEAVE:-

End of Contact: McGrandles, Marquis, Jackson

In Contract But Should Be Released/Transfer Listed: Bishop, Sorenson, Adelakan, Maguire, Sanders

That would allow us to bring in 4, assuming we can move on at least 5 contracted players plus the 3 out of contract. We are severely short in midfield - where we desperately need huge changews anyway - and probably need another right back and wide player too.

Selling Scully might of course be on the cards, and Hopper seems to be in the MA bad books at present (along with a few others).

I would definitely give McGrandles a new contact, but with his partner already back in Scotland, I can see why he won't stay.

What are everyone's else's views?

I think that is largely in the ball park of what I expect though we know that Maguire won't be sold and bar last Saturday Ted Bishop has had a very decent season considering he's been asked to fill in all over the pitch so I actually hope he stays and gets a proper run in his best position, which is that which Fiorini has excelled in at the end of this season.

We will look to move on those who have barely featured since the turn of the year despite us having so many injuries. The fact that House played in midfield ahead of Sorenson in the past couple of weeks was a clear indication of where his position is in the scheme of things. Adelakun clearly is so out of favour and Sanders has probably not taken that chance that was presented to him. If Sanders stays though I would be fine with that.

I also agree about McGrandles. If it was a purely footballing decision getting him signed on again is a no-brainer, but with his family being back north of the border I expect he'll be on the way and that's a decision we all get and respect.

How much would it cost to get rid of contract players though? Yes, some clubs might be able to take over that wage but it’s not always easy shifting on contracted players. Not sure how much wriggle room we will have if we already have a fairly sizeable squad (though most have been injured).

How much would it cost to get rid of contract players though? Yes, some clubs might be able to take over that wage but it’s not always easy shifting on contracted players. Not sure how much wriggle room we will have if we already have a fairly sizeable squad (though most have been injured).

I agree. The days of paying up a contract are long gone with the amount of money that would involve probably getting into six figures per player. Not a wise use of a budget

Perhaps we will utilise the Peterborough way of transfer listing every player who enters the last 12 months of their contract to try and make those squad places available. Might mean some who we wouldn't want to go such as Poole or Scully have to be sold to allow the overhaul to take place

Due to having a number of contracted players that we may be both looking to move on but struggle to do so, I suspect that contract renewals for the likes of Jackson and Bridcutt may be unlikely anyway. I have a sneaky feeling Jackson may just get an offer as he was very unlucky with the concussions and he does seem to be a 'go to man' for MA in terms of his physicality and competitive qualities - aspects we appear to regularly struggle in.

I wouldn't be surprised to see one of Scully and/or Poole sold in this window. If Poole goes then that increase the chances of Jackson being retained.

McG is an interesting one. The timing of his injury was appalling for him personally and very sad to see. Will it stop him being able to get a club well into the Autumn? Would we offer him a contract given his proven excellent attitude and consistency, in order to tempt him with security? Would we avoid that option if we knew (speculation only) that he wanted to move 'home' and his heart wasn't really set on staying in Lincoln? Whatever happens he can hold his head up high for his efforts over the last two seasons and I hope he gets a timely and positive outcome.

For all sorts of reasons, a lot of our squad will be 'leaving'. I can see Mcgrandles moving north of the border. Some players out of contract. Some players are going to attract a bid. Then there's the ones who aren't up to the standard.
I think in every position we don't really have a settled first team choice, that is definitely going to be here next season.
I was reading the POSH forum the other day. Some speculation there that Jorge Grant might not be in the managers future plans, and that they believe they still owed Lincoln a chunk of the fee from last summer. So a deal might be do-able. Their thoughts not mine. But he wouldn't be a bad signing to be part of our backbone to support the youngster coming through.

From MA:-

"For us to be better, to get better, there maybe has to be double the amount that leave compared to the amount that come in. And maybe one or two young players might have to step up to the mark and come into the first-team environment. They’ve done it sporadically this season, they train with us quite a lot. There’s a lot of things and a lot of movement that has to happen this year for us to be better next year.”

We won't know for a few more weeks, but for what its worth, here's my take for next season's squad:-

Goalkeepers - Long, Wright

Full Backs - Bramall, Robson, Eyoma

Centre Backs - Poole, Montsma, Roughan, one of Jackson or Walsh

Midfielders - Bridcutt (only if its pay per game)

Forwards - Scully, Hopper, House, Kendal, Draper, Makama

TO LEAVE:-

End of Contact: McGrandles, Marquis, Jackson

In Contract But Should Be Released/Transfer Listed: Bishop, Sorenson, Adelakan, Maguire, Sanders

That would allow us to bring in 4, assuming we can move on at least 5 contracted players plus the 3 out of contract. We are severely short in midfield - where we desperately need huge changews anyway - and probably need another right back and wide player too.

Selling Scully might of course be on the cards, and Hopper seems to be in the MA bad books at present (along with a few others).

I would definitely give McGrandles a new contact, but with his partner already back in Scotland, I can see why he won't stay.

What are everyone's else's views?

Agree with much of that but also question whether or not both MA and JG will stay. I just don't believe the dynamic has worked. Perhaps it was just an unlucky season with injuries but as has been mentioned many times, there have also been too many identikit lightweight players in the squad.

Bit of a kick in the knackers for people who have renewed their tickets expecting a better show next season in my opinion.

Potentially a similar squad as this season and to make changes persuade 2 to leave and in order to get 1 in.

Depending on wages and who wants them it might be difficult to persuade the no longer wanted players to look elsewhere.

Bit of a kick in the knackers for people who have renewed their tickets expecting a better show next season in my opinion.

Potentially a similar squad as this season and to make changes persuade 2 to leave and in order to get 1 in.

Depending on wages and who wants them it might be difficult to persuade the no longer wanted players to look elsewhere.
Depends what individual expectations are. I'm looking to see some youngsters develop, a handful of signings mainly to re-boot a decimated midfield; and a comfortable finish somewhere around 12th to 14th; setting us up for a stronger campaign in 23/24 . I think that is still realistic and achievable from the position we currently find ourselves in.

Depends what individual expectations are. I'm looking to see some youngsters develop, a handful of signings mainly to re-boot a decimated midfield; and a comfortable finish somewhere around 12th to 14th; setting us up for a stronger campaign in 23/24 . I think that is still realistic and achievable from the position we currently find ourselves in.

What you said is basically my hope for next season. Just cannot see how it is possible with the current squad.

If a number of players under contract do leave then i will be more optimistic but players like Sanders, Hakeeb, Hopper or any players that Michael was referring to are not going to leave unless it is financially and right for them footballing wise, other clubs are going to want to sign our under achieving players for the 2 out 1 in to be successful.

I think after witnessing Saturday's game at Accrington i am still on a downer with them, I don't mind watching my team lose but the distinct lack of passion and footballing ability on Saturday has probably affecting my footballing mood.

Broadly agree with the opening post.

I'm not sure it's even worth keeping Bridcutt on a pay as you play deal, tbh. I'm in two minds on Jackson because we have Walsh so I'd be inclined to release him.

House playing in CM against Cheltenham ahead of Sorenson had a Draper/N'Lundulu feel about it.

I think we need a better defensive full back that Bramall, who is perhaps Robson but neither have done enough to convince me this season. Sanders is an obvious one to leave, likewise Archibald.

Bishop, I'd keep. He's versatile, and in all fairness to him, I think he's had a fairly decent season given how often he's been shifted about.

MA won't get rid of Maguire I wouldn't have thought and Adelakan is perhaps one to get out on loan for a season to see if this season can be put down to a very bad one rather than the norm.

If you are quoting from a source outside of Vital Lincoln City, please ensure you always provide a link to that source - we do not wish to attract plagiarism suits or any other legal problems. Likewise images and photographs - please make sure you are the owner or have legal rights to them.

I presume the OP refers to Mark Whiley's article on Lincolnshire Live today:

https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/...s/michael-appleton-calls-big-overhaul-6990967

"Appleton says he will look to move on players who are under contract. The likes of Max Sanders, Lasse Sorensen and Hakeeb Adelakun have barely figured this season and could be among those heading for the exit door."

I think that constitutes three almost certain departures right there. Moving players on does not have to cost us anything just because they are under contract - the usual conversation is along the lines of not being in the manager's plans / we won't stand in your way etc.

I would be surprised to see Bishop leave, other than through his injury problems. He has been played out of position for much of the season and has played in a makeshift, misfiring, lightweight midfield when not.

I am not aware that Hopper is in MA's bad books - I would be interested to learn where the OP got that from.

I think it implies the opposite - that supporters can expect better because the dross will not be here. Most fans would happily swap three or four of those for two players who actually contribute.

I think a smaller but better squad is obviously the way to go isn't it. That's why you'll hear it from a lot of managers, not just with us. It's very hard to achieve though - in order to really make it work you need a more or less 100% success rate in signings. Miss that and you need to start adding more players and you start getting that squad bloat.

I don't know that as an aspiration it tells you much at all really - who is going to say 'I intend to sign half a dozen players who'll barely play'? No-one but most clubs still have those players on the books.

It wouldn’t surprise me if most of those mentioned all get released some way or another. The bummer point is that we’re attempting to cancel/release players we brought in last summer, many of which some of us (including me) were excited about for the forthcoming season. We’re assuming as the result of an overhaul we’ll bring in better players, but it can’t be any worse than last summer (or can it)?

If Sanders and Sorensen are told they are not in MA plans im sure, given their age and inexperience, they will be very keen to move on. Adelakun less easy to move id guess. I hope Bishop stays, he provides perfectly decent cover at RB and has potential to kick on in midfield. I hope Maguire doesn't stay ~ he slows play down and acts a fool, but i think MA wants him here.

The big problem this season was that from an early stage it was clear that N’lundulu and Adelakun, and to an extent Sorensen and Maguire, weren’t performing at the required standard, and then the horrendous injuries kicked in.
I get the argument about having a smaller squad of better players, but where would that leave us if several key players get injured again?