So what next? Who stays? Who goes? Who comes in? | Page 22 | Vital Football

So what next? Who stays? Who goes? Who comes in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coca Cola cup 94 was one of my greatest ever memories! Nothing Mickey mouse about it to me.

Not then, no. But modern £00tball has swallowed so much integrity and has rendered these things mickey mouse these days, in my humble.

Not then, no. But modern £00tball has swallowed so much integrity and has rendered these things mickey mouse these days, in my humble.

The media might give the interpration of that, but there are still the same number of cups now as there were then. It might mean more money to stay in the league, but silverware is silverware. Just because other teams don't prioritise it, that's their problem as far as I'm concerned.

I know for sure i'd have gone mental if we scored a couple of late goals in February against City. I'd rather take survival than the cup win I think, but if we were in the same situation in the 90's my answer would likely have been the same.

Consolation cups for the top six teams who mess up the rest of their season. Same as the FA Cup sadly.
Add the Europa Cup to that. Rewarding failure of the European elite who failed in the earlier stages of the Champions League.

Add the Europa Cup to that. Rewarding failure of the European elite who failed in the earlier stages of the Champions League.
I see less of a point to the Europa League. It's just so bloated and goes on forever. Almost a curse for midtable teams with small squads that have overperformed.

I was a bit young to remember the details of the UEFA cup, but was it the same?

If they took out the group games and made it a one leg knockout cup, there would be so much more enthusiasm for it.

I see less of a point to the Europa League. It's just so bloated and goes on forever. Almost a curse for midtable teams with small squads that have overperformed.

If they took out the group games and made it a one leg knockout cup, there would be so much more enthusiasm for it.

That was the original format except with 2 legs, as it was with all 3 European competitions. It has lost a lot of its quality due to them putting 3 or 4 teams from the top leagues into the Champions League. Try telling a Seville fan its worthless they've had some great nights in it recently.
I think its seen as a bigger deal in other countries than here, we've been brainwashed into thinking its all about top 4 and the Champions League. But unless you support one of the top 4 or 5 teams there's fuck all to play for

That was the original format except with 2 legs, as it was with all 3 European competitions. It has lost a lot of its quality due to them putting 3 or 4 teams from the top leagues into the Champions League. Try telling a Seville fan its worthless they've had some great nights in it recently.
I think its seen as a bigger deal in other countries than here, we've been brainwashed into thinking its all about top 4 and the Champions League. But unless you support one of the top 4 or 5 teams there's fuck all to play for

I get that there will be teams who probably live for it. I forgot about the extra teams going into the Champions League. Did UEFA used to be reserved for 2nd place?

I still think it is massively bloats though. I'd almost dread Villa fluking into it at this stage of our progression. Would wipe our team out. Not that there is much danger of it happening mind you!

But the league format was the whole point behind the change.
It was designed purely by EUFA to promote its own competition to as many clubs as possible, to give its cup a bigger platform for self promotion and income.
Its a tried and tested formula that FIFA also use in the World Cup.
All competitions ruined by the league format that gives small clubs and tiny countries a game in the early stages, problem is though nobody is interested in watching the product until the later stages.

I get that there will be teams who probably live for it. I forgot about the extra teams going into the Champions League. Did UEFA used to be reserved for 2nd place?

I still think it is massively bloats though. I'd almost dread Villa fluking into it at this stage of our progression. Would wipe our team out. Not that there is much danger of it happening mind you!

I think it was 2nd, 3rd and 4th, maybe also 5th place, along with the league cup winners in the UEFA cup. FA Cup winners went into the Cup Winners Cup before they did away with that competition.
I understand what you are saying about volume of games, but Wolves seem to be coping ok with it. Fulham made the final 10-15 years back and think they finished mid table in PL that year as well. Unless you support one of the top 4 teams, you really need to look at these competitions as a chance to win some silverware.

The media might give the interpration of that, but there are still the same number of cups now as there were then. It might mean more money to stay in the league, but silverware is silverware. Just because other teams don't prioritise it, that's their problem as far as I'm concerned.

I know for sure i'd have gone mental if we scored a couple of late goals in February against City. I'd rather take survival than the cup win I think, but if we were in the same situation in the 90's my answer would likely have been the same.

Yeah, I really don't need to be fed opinions via the media Tom. The way clubs treat the cup (and it is happening to the FA Cup also) is devaluing it in my eyes and some of the actions of some clubs have made it far more micky mouse.

And yes, agree, a cup is a cup, I'd not object to a day at Wembley where we actually win.

Back on track, ( I hope), if Heaton is unfit to start the season do we try to hang on to Reina or get another keeper in? For me, if Heaton is going to be missing for a chunk of the new season, we need decent back up.Are we confident that the keepers we have now can keep us out of trouble until Heaton’s return? I have my doubts.

If Heaton's out and Sarkic gone, then we're down to 2 keepers one or even both of whom could get injured. We need another keeper whatever. That's assuming Kalinic goes.

I hear bloody leicester mite beat us for watkins bloody leicester every bodies favourites to go down b4 we went down what happened they even won the league bloody Leicester they are just keeping our seat warm till we replace them

I hear bloody leicester mite beat us for watkins bloody leicester every bodies favourites to go down b4 we went down what happened they even won the league bloody Leicester they are just keeping our seat warm till we replace them
Would love to agree with you but sadly Leicester have established themselves as a top side since they won the Prem. Another string to their bow is getting Rogers in place a bloke I would have loved at Villa when we sacked Bruce. They are miles ahead of us right now but you never know...if we can pip them for Watkins it would show we mean business.

We have only 6 players that are the standard required.

Heaton
Mings
Konsa
Luiz
McGinn
Grealish

A few of the others are squad players.

Steer
Targett
Guilbert
Nakamba

At a push

Trez
Ghastly

Which means we need at least 5 quality players and not average players from the chumps. When I see some of the players we are linked with I shudder at the thought. I hope it's just lazy journalism otherwise it's time to say goodbye to a few in the first group and prepare for life in the chumps.

We have only 6 players that are the standard required.

Heaton
Mings
Konsa
Luiz
McGinn
Grealish

A few of the others are squad players.

Steer
Targett
Guilbert
Nakamba

At a push

Trez
Ghastly

Which means we need at least 5 quality players and not average players from the chumps. When I see some of the players we are linked with I shudder at the thought. I hope it's just lazy journalism otherwise it's time to say goodbye to a few in the first group and prepare for life in the chumps.
I can only hope to reassure you that last season we didn't know a lot about most of the transfers before they happened and I expect, as you so rightly pointed out, that most of the stories are just that. The press, as usual are phishing.

You're an extremely hard taskmaster Fulford, I think there are more than six who could continue to do a job, not ideal I admit, but I'm hoping for quality additions, 3 or maybe 4. The back 4 are probably covered, especially if we keep possession better and attack more, thus reducing the constant strain of defending. I'd target another midfielder, a flexible wide man and an out and out striker as a minimum - just hope they can get the right people. After that I'd be happy to get in some quality youngsters for the future.

We really need a wing back thats better defensively, possibly two. Left back is the more urgent side but there seem to be more RBs around, so perhaps Freddie can cover LB?

That, a striker and winger are absolutely essential. The bare minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.