Shrewsbury (H) | Page 3 | Vital Football

Shrewsbury (H)

That was not a great game. In fact it was bloody awful and I was bored rigid for most of it. Typical midweek match, especially at home. No atmosphere and the team’s performance mirrored it. Can’t have been more than five thousand on tops.

After scoring so early we should have been comfortable but surrendered possession so easily and had no outlet. The play was so laboured and slow with no sense of urgency. A target man is a must in January as we desperately missed Wyke as a focal point. To be fair the substitutions worked. Obviously a good goal from Thelo but thought the keeper made a meal of it and it was an undeserved three points. If we play as bad as that Saturday I can’t see a similar outcome. That said will make a change to have a Saturday home gabe so hopefully there’ll be more on and a better atmosphere.

8098 on tonight

Darikwa MOM yeh good one I know that your just giving us a good laugh. The guy was dreadful sure he had plenty ball and he gave it away 90% of the time.
You only need to look over to tonight's left back to see a real class player, I watched him closely being his debut and he never misplaced a single pass.
What I see from a lot of our players is that they want to do the easy thing all the time continually going backwards and never looking to make things happen I really hate all this turgid backward play
Darikwa and Massey between them created less than what should be expected from one decent wing back on their own. Couldn't believe the team sheet showing them both on the field and the whole performance was nothing less than expected when seeing that sheet. We reverted to the set up pre Burton with the same result. Fortunately the side play to the end and we gained the right outcome. Langy up top on his own was idiotic too. He was wasted despite his fantastic work rate.

Only good things tonight Thelo and the result. That was so boring and there were some bang average and piss poor performances. Darickwa, Massey, McClean stunk, Tilt, Bennet, Whatmough, ok. Keane nowt special. Amos nowt to do, Cousins and Naylor nowt special. Lang hung out to dry with the negative tactics.
Shrews beaten in time added on from their own time wasting.
Feel so sorry for Langy, he ran his legs off.
They came with a defensive set up and doubled up (sometimes 3) on our skillful players

8098 on tonight
Season tickets count whether there or not. Non season ticket fans where we'll down but with the horrible weather and £48 to fork out with Saturday it wasn't surprising at this time of year. Step up marketing and a £45-00 for next three at this time of year could have helped.

We regressed 2 months with this performance...back to hoofing it 50 yards with no midfield player asking for the ball...Cousins didn't look ready, Naylor poor, Massey invisible, Keane is back to believing he's a top class international ( he's not ), Lang out of position, McClean shite, captain poor, back 2 ok but only plus point on night was Bennett who did his job right.

We need to strengthen January as I fear failure if we don't.

Max severely missed tonight.

Shrewsbury were the better team by far and deserved something ...they passed out from defence to midfield players asking for the ball, everything we didn't do. Black lad on left up top best on pitch.

I reckon it's quite funny (not funny haha, but funny peculiar) how we obviously all see the game in different ways. I think we all agree that the team generally were poor last night, (even though we might disagree on who were the worst performers) but it's telling how we all seem to have read certain aspects of the game in a different way.

Far from Lang being isolate, on his own, I thought our biggest problem last night was that Keane, Massey and McClean were all playing far too high up the field, with both Naylor and Cousins seemingly terrified of getting anywhere near our half way line ... hence, the massive gap we were seeing earlier in the season.

Key thing for me though is that we won. We played poorly, yet still took the points. Like one of our previous managers used to say, we "found a way to win". Like the teams under Shankly, Paisley, Fagan and Dalglish we managed to win whilst not playing particularly well. Like Utd, we carried on fighting, and got the win in Fergie-time. There's nothing wrong in this. It's what teams have to do.

I agree about their lad up front left had a good game, but their Motm by a country mile was their keeper.

Any road, automatic promotion place, games in hand, New Year bounce still to come, Tics moaning like we're hovering above the relegation zone ......... brilliant.

Oh ....... and Steve Cotterill ........ up yours with your "Wigan can afford etc etc". Didn't hear you saying owt about our predicament last season.

agree about their lad up front left had a good game, but their Motm by a country mile was their keeper.

Disagree on the keeper. Whilst Thelo scored a good goal I thought he should have comfortably saved it as he seemed to dive over it.

Disagree on the keeper. Whilst Thelo scored a good goal I thought he should have comfortably saved it as he seemed to dive over it.
I understand your point here, but I was referring to the other numerous saves he made, some from very close range, and hit with not inconsiderable force.

I understand your point here, but I was referring to the other numerous saves he made, some from very close range, and hit with not inconsiderable force.
Again another example of how fans see things differently. I wasn't hugely impressed with their keeper, I think all the saves he did make were ones you'd expect your keeper to save. He did nothing particuarly outstanding.

Regarding Thelo's goal, I've come to the conclusion that if that were against us, we'd have been very disappointed in Amos for letting it in.

Shrewsbury were the better team by far and deserved something ...they passed out from defence to midfield players asking for the ball, everything we didn't do. Black lad on left up top best on pitch.

They were better team first half no mistake but were forced back 2nd half not best team overall …their keeper was forced into 3 or 4 decent saves …other than the goal and the clearance off the line I can’t remember Amos having to do much at all…….a draw would have been a fair result ….as for their number 11…he ought to have had a good game given the rest stops he had ….went down for 3 or 4 minutes (twice !) ….multiple fractures to his ‘tie ups’ ?

That was very poor last night looked disjointed in every department. Back four looked like panic every time a ball came in the box No ball player in the middle of the park. And nothing up front. So to get a win. Was a great surprise Why Tilt gets a place before. Watts. Is a strange one. Played right in there hands playing two defence minded midfield men. And that. Jones must be one crap player. If Edwards get on before him.