Shrewsbury (H) | Page 2 | Vital Football

Shrewsbury (H)

Only good things tonight Thelo and the result. That was so boring and there were some bang average and piss poor performances. Darickwa, Massey, McClean stunk, Tilt, Bennet, Whatmough, ok. Keane nowt special. Amos nowt to do, Cousins and Naylor nowt special. Lang hung out to dry with the negative tactics.
Shrews beaten in time added on from their own time wasting.
Feel so sorry for Langy, he ran his legs off.

Only good things tonight Thelo and the result. That was so boring and there were some bang average and piss poor performances. Darickwa, Massey, McClean stunk, Tilt, Bennet, Whatmough, ok. Keane nowt special. Amos nowt to do, Cousins and Naylor nowt special. Lang hung out to dry with the negative tactics.

Good job we won then. Would have hated to have seen your post match assessment had we lost.

At least the players turned up.

Shocking home support considering we couldn't go to any games last season and haven't had a home game for ages.

Langy kept going but he needs to calm himself down or else he will continue picking up unecessary yellows.

Tilt played well and Edwards was fairly decent with some intent when he came on.
Will Keane was missing most of the game and McClean had a nightmare for him.

Sign of a good team not to give up though.
Shrewsbury were a bunch of shithouses though with their constant niggly fouls.

McLean rubbish Darwika rubbish apart from goal .Calum worked hard Massey did his job. Bennett average Assagard brilliant and should start on Sat. Poor performance all round, but a team that never gives up until the final whistle. They got what they deserved with all the niggling fouls

I thought Massey & Darikwa we’re 2 of our better players tonight. McLean had one of his worst games in a Wigan shirt. But we dug in and ground out a result, these are the games that win you promotion

After watching that tonight. How good is max power. And any one who doesn’t think we need a centre forward. Knows nothing about football
We had one sat on the bench. He should have started alongside Lang. Hopefully we don't play that awful boring formation on Saturday because we will struggle again. At least we managed a win with it without the opposing side going down to ten men.

I thought Massey & Darikwa we’re 2 of our better players tonight. McLean had one of his worst games in a Wigan shirt. But we dug in and ground out a result, these are the games that win you promotion
Each to their own opinions but I couldn't believe that they both started in an home game.

Darikwa MOTM for me tonight. Up and down the wing all game, must have had almost 50% of our overall possession alone as his teammates always went to him as he was the only one providing an out ball and had no support whatsoever from Massey, who was crap and should have been hooked at HT. People will always see the game differently which I respect, but the Darikwa scapegoating is starting to piss me off now if I'm honest, both him and Bennett had very good games. McClean was crap, but still a moment of quality for the goal and that's why he's an important player for us. Thought the central midfield and Keane were all terrible as well, that includes Thelo until his fantastic goal that got us out of jail.

Make no mistake, we're a very average side without Wyke holding it up. The manager got the team wrong for me as Lang is no lone striker and couldn't do anywhere near the job Wyke does. I know Humphrys can't finish his dinner at the moment, but he has to play due his physicality. Our players are like statues whenever we have the ball, it's like they don't know what to do if they can't go long to Wyke. I'd give anything for a Morsy in central midfield who doesn't stop moving and always shows for the ball.

Get to January still in the top two and it will have been a hugely successive December as I can't see us getting six points from the next two playing like that. Hopefully the weather improves for Saturday.

That was not a great game. In fact it was bloody awful and I was bored rigid for most of it. Typical midweek match, especially at home. No atmosphere and the team’s performance mirrored it. Can’t have been more than five thousand on tops.

After scoring so early we should have been comfortable but surrendered possession so easily and had no outlet. The play was so laboured and slow with no sense of urgency. A target man is a must in January as we desperately missed Wyke as a focal point. To be fair the substitutions worked. Obviously a good goal from Thelo but thought the keeper made a meal of it and it was an undeserved three points. If we play as bad as that Saturday I can’t see a similar outcome. That said will make a change to have a Saturday home gabe so hopefully there’ll be more on and a better atmosphere.

Can’t understand why watts as been dropped one of the star players
Good point this. I respect that Tilt is very good in the air, but it feels like he's a got a big mistake in him at some point and it also feels like he's far too easy to wind up which will lead to him getting sent off one day.

As a matter of fact, I hate the chopping and changing of our centre backs in general. It's never healthy doing that in my opinion as it makes it impossible for the full-backs and keeper to build a solid understanding and rapport with them, especially at set pieces. It's no coincidence that we've stopped keeping clean sheets since Leam started tinkering with the CBs every game.

The crowd was poor, but expected. It's a UCL night before Christmas payday and has been absolutely pissing down non stop for two days straight. That rain will have knocked hundreds off the gate tonight I bet.

Agree. I thought Massey worked hard and showed some nice touches. He was our most attacking player tonight.I

I think McLean can be forgiven one bad game after the blood, sweat and tears he has put into the rest of the season so far.

I am getting a bit concerned about Will Keane's prolonged drop in form. He was class up to the last 5games but seems too easily marked out of the game recentlt.

Asgaard had another cracker although there were times when he looked like he was in the back four he had to come so deep for the ball.

Can some one explain why our back four, when presented with 20yards of open field in front of them still feel the need to pass either sideways or back to Amos. Bloody infuriating.

Great start to the game, crisp, sharp & quick passing got us a well worked lead within 2 mins of the start, just a shame we didn't keep it up but I'll take an injury time winner all day.....we weren't at our best but managed to secure the 3 points which they say is the sign of a good team. Was impressed by Joe Bennett but less than impressed with JM's & his misplaced passes, hopefully just a bad day at the office.....there were a few Latics players guilty of misplaced passes but perhaps that's down to the terrible conditions & it was nice to get the 'winless midweek at home' monkey off our back.

Can some one explain why our back four, when presented with 20yards of open field in front of them still feel the need to pass either sideways or back to Amos. Bloody infuriating.
Short Pass sideways, short pass backwards, repeat and hoof (straight to the opposition) ... simple !
Just like watching Dunkley playing in the Championship albeit the current crop keep the ball in the stadium.

Shrewsbury were effective at filling the spaces and did have 11 players behind the ball for long periods of time. Tricky to break down and the players that you would expect to assist there not stepping up.
Naylor's passing was poor in the first half too.

Great start to the game, crisp, sharp & quick passing got us a well worked lead within 2 mins of the start, just a shame we didn't keep it up but I'll take an injury time winner all day.....we weren't at our best but managed to secure the 3 points which they say is the sign of a good team. Was impressed by Joe Bennett but less than impressed with JM's & his misplaced passes, hopefully just a bad day at the office.....there were a few Latics players guilty of misplaced passes but perhaps that's down to the terrible conditions & it was nice to get the 'winless midweek at home' monkey off our back.
We complete that many passes in a match some are bound to be poor.

Take the 3pts and move on - sign of a good team to have so many off it and still win - reflect on how that must be a heartbraker for the chasing pack .......!
Ps Massey was biz - again 😉

Darikwa MOTM for me tonight. Up and down the wing all game, must have had almost 50% of our overall possession alone as his teammates always went to him as he was the only one providing an out ball and had no support whatsoever from Massey, who was crap and should have been hooked at HT. People will always see the game differently which I respect, but the Darikwa scapegoating is starting to piss me off now if I'm honest, both him and Bennett had very good games. McClean was crap, but still a moment of quality for the goal and that's why he's an important player for us. Thought the central midfield and Keane were all terrible as well, that includes Thelo until his fantastic goal that got us out of jail.

Make no mistake, we're a very average side without Wyke holding it up. The manager got the team wrong for me as Lang is no lone striker and couldn't do anywhere near the job Wyke does. I know Humphrys can't finish his dinner at the moment, but he has to play due his physicality. Our players are like statues whenever we have the ball, it's like they don't know what to do if they can't go long to Wyke. I'd give anything for a Morsy in central midfield who doesn't stop moving and always shows for the ball.

Get to January still in the top two and it will have been a hugely successive December as I can't see us getting six points from the next two playing like that. Hopefully the weather improves for Saturday.

Darikwa MOM yeh good one I know that your just giving us a good laugh. The guy was dreadful sure he had plenty ball and he gave it away 90% of the time.
You only need to look over to tonight's left back to see a real class player, I watched him closely being his debut and he never misplaced a single pass.
What I see from a lot of our players is that they want to do the easy thing all the time continually going backwards and never looking to make things happen I really hate all this turgid backward play