See Scallys gone off on one again | Page 3 | Vital Football

See Scallys gone off on one again

Someone on the not606 board has submitted a FOI request to Medway Council and will be publishing this on the board once he has a response. Will try and post a link up if he ever does get a response to his questions.

You’re talking about the renewal of the sponsorship. How about when MEMS were originally announced as our sponsor in 2011 with the stadium renamed?

The 3 year deal with KRBS was according to Scally worth 400k, with naming rights to the stadium included. The automatic retailing sponsorship was a one year deal, who according to Scally stepped in at short notice when KRBS pulled out with no details of the deal announced, and then MEMS took over on a 3 year deal, with naming rights to the stadium but no financial figure released, and then in 2014, MEMS renewed their deal, worth according to Scally worth over 500k over 4 years.

Whilst Scally has no obligation to reveal details, call me cynical but it appears from the above Scally only reveals financial details of the deal if its a good deal.

Don't think this deal with the council is something that has been thought through very well. I just hope it doesn't come back to bite GFC on the arse.

Last edited:
With all due respect, I think you might find that Vince Maple has nothing to do with the Medway Council leaders, who are Tories. He is the Leader of the opposition.
Therefore, whatever the Medway Council deem to do, he has no say, but obviously can whinge from the sidelines.

Ah, I see. same argument as the national government who despite having no overall majority don't think they have to inform or seek the approval of parliament or the Lords on any subject so any constituency that has a Labour MP can regard themselves as a mushroom (for the uninitiated - kept in the dark and fed with bullshit).

Trump is using the same model across the pond only I am not sure he is even consulting fellow Republicans before making and changing policy.

I think Mr Maple represents a ward within Medway and those within his ward may regard themselves as mushrooms at the moment.

This whole drama could have been avoided if there'd been a bit more decorum from all parties.

Tory Led Council - Obviously agreed something with the club while keeping the opposition party in the dark. Haven't really revealed anything concrete in terms of what is in the deal regarding payments and/or funding besides vague assurances. Details are needed.

Opposition on the Council - It's their responsibility to query everything, but they really did make a storm in a tea cup about this. Going off on Twitter about injustices and politicking makes them seem reactionary. If Maple had sent a letter to both the Council and Scally requesting confirmation that there was to be no tax payers money used, then fair enough that would be respectable.

Scally - He has no responsibility to reveal details of the sponsorship deal as GFC are a private company, but he could have easily said something along the lines of "at no cost to the tax payer, Cllr Jarrett will reveal further details in due course". Furthermore, as we've come to know him, not react so badly and make things worse when it comes to releasing an official statement etc.

Reading Maple's letter, it appears his main gripe is to confirm that Scally wasn't referring to the Opposition group on the council as those claiming he's using tax payers money to fund his Dubai lifestyle...which having read Scally's original statement it could definitely be perceived that way.

This whole thing is fucking embarrassing to be honest, and could have been completely avoided if everyone involved hadn't been reactionary idiots.

This whole drama could have been avoided if there'd been a bit more decorum from all parties.

Tory Led Council - Obviously agreed something with the club while keeping the opposition party in the dark. Haven't really revealed anything concrete in terms of what is in the deal regarding payments and/or funding besides vague assurances. Details are needed.

Opposition on the Council - It's their responsibility to query everything, but they really did make a storm in a tea cup about this. Going off on Twitter about injustices and politicking makes them seem reactionary. If Maple had sent a letter to both the Council and Scally requesting confirmation that there was to be no tax payers money used, then fair enough that would be respectable.

Scally - He has no responsibility to reveal details of the sponsorship deal as GFC are a private company, but he could have easily said something along the lines of "at no cost to the tax payer, Cllr Jarrett will reveal further details in due course". Furthermore, as we've come to know him, not react so badly and make things worse when it comes to releasing an official statement etc.

Reading Maple's letter, it appears his main gripe is to confirm that Scally wasn't referring to the Opposition group on the council as those claiming he's using tax payers money to fund his Dubai lifestyle...which having read Scally's original statement it could definitely be perceived that way.

This whole thing is fucking embarrassing to be honest, and could have been completely avoided if everyone involved hadn't been reactionary idiots.
GFC is not a private company, although Scally does have all the controlling shares. The company, which has legal personality, is also mortgaged to the tune of £1.8m and has other significant liabilities. The Companies Act determines what he has to reveal; in essence, the Companies Act creates a deal, ie in return for limited liability, creditors have to be protected. There are also other laws that govern the behaviour of directors. The only thing Scally is not obliged to do is disclose matters that are commercially confidential unless, of course, they are in breach of the forgoing etc.

GFC is not a private company, although Scally does have all the controlling shares. The Companies Act determines what he has to reveal

While true, the company accounts will likely provide no real information of note beyond if the council gives money to the club. Neither the club nor the accounts are required to provide information as to what services the club will provide in order to do the deal. If the council does cut rent to Beeching Cross or other places then we may see rent costs fall.

And considering it could potentially be two years before the deal is seen in any accounts, the requirements of the deal will probably be seen long before then.

Extracts from his statement on KOL today:

"I'm not into politics, this isn't a political move"

"I have seen some pretty poor comments, to be honest, and I suspect they have come from the opposition party"

"The council are doing a very good job in bringing in industry and regeneration into the area"

As you say, Paul, very neutral and balanced.

Extracts from his statement on KOL today:

"I'm not into politics, this isn't a political move"

"I have seen some pretty poor comments, to be honest, and I suspect they have come from the opposition party"

"The council are doing a very good job in bringing in industry and regeneration into the area"

As you say, Paul, very neutral and balanced.

Since Scally isn't looking into going into politics then how can it be a political move on his part? From other comments he made in the letter which you have not quoted above, then I don't think Scally really cares if the council leadership was left wing or right providing he gets an agreement he thinks is best for the club.

Is that the same "not interested in politics" PS that urged gills fans in the club programme to vote for Rehman Christi not so long ago, the very same MP who broke parliamentary rules for not declaring 9 'gifts' worth £900 of complimentary VIP tickets from PS.

Not that he likes getting involved in politics.Seems he's quite good at getting involved without even trying.

Last edited:
As a non-Medway resident, this conversation is SO boring. Just saying...
;)
Mind you, Scally's an idiot for getting into a spat with a politician. They all have their own agenda and are interested in nothing but themselves (and I've met a fair few, from the Govt Cabinet downwards).

That's still getting involved in politics, whether it be backing labour or conservative candidates.

Sucking up to whoever is in charge is hardly being political. If Labour takes over Medway council after the next local elections then I'm sure Cllr Maple will become Scally's new best friend.

I'm sure that's true but what doesn't change is Scally's talent for getting into pontless squabbles and inflating them. Hopefully this one is soon forgotten.

Is that the same "not interested in politics" PS that urged gills fans in the club programme to vote for Rehman Christi not so long ago, the very same MP who broke parliamentary rules for not declaring 9 'gifts' worth £900 of complimentary VIP tickets from PS.

Not that he likes getting involved in politics.Seems he's quite good at getting involved without even trying.
Yes - urging people to vote one way or the other; no - not Scally's problem what an MP declares and it's hardly high treason

Scally not political? He's always out and about with Chishti. Scally's a Tory through and through, most millionaires are!