See Scallys gone off on one again | Page 2 | Vital Football

See Scallys gone off on one again

Scally definitely would’ve been criticised over the MEMS sponsorship at the time it was announced! A small, unknown company, and no word of any details of the deal at the time. You can imagine all the “lack of ambition, cringeworthy” comments.

Don’t think there were any such comments to be honest.

Don't under estimate the power of social media. Labour seem a lot more active on twitter than the tories. People retweet and there friends retweet. It doesn't take long for Mapels tweet to reach thousands of people. People don't like injustice, while we don't know if there was one here (i.e. council tax money or loss of revenue) going to Gills people are free to assume that if no facts are forthcoming. Medway council tax went up the full amount, services like sure start are being cut, it relies on volunteers to support homeless, etc. and people are pretty fed up with Tories at a national level. I wouldn't be surprised if this kind of "bad press" motivates a few more to get out on polling day. Shame its not sooner.

Whether it will be enough to switch control at Medway who knows.

I just wish we could a few months without some off the field conflict. I'd love to have a football club where no one knew the chairmens name. He/She was just in the background quietly getting on with running the club.

I am amazed that a deal with the local council has been made and the literate and informed of Medway are up in arms because this doesn't happen anywhere else.
Well, get real Medway rate payers, it is happening all over the country.
GFC were late to get on the back of it.
FFS, stop keep whinging about how disgraceful it is, you do not know the details of any of it.
Fine, so Vince Maple complains heavily, so it doesn't matter if it is right or wrong, but he, is the opposition and the opposition is there to attack the ruling party, regardless of right or wrong.
If you think the principles are wrong, please address the other football clubs and their councils to find out what is so different to them, compared to GFC and Medway Council.

Scally definitely would’ve been criticised over the MEMS sponsorship at the time it was announced! A small, unknown company, and no word of any details of the deal at the time. You can imagine all the “lack of ambition, cringeworthy” comments.

Trev, that is a load of bollocks. The 4 year deal was announced at the player of the year do in May 2014, where PS stated on the night it was the the biggest sponsorship deal in the club's history worth half a million quid over four years.

So there were details announced at the time (unlike now) and from my memory no criticism, how could there have been of the best deal in the club's history.

No one is criticizing the deal, what people are questioning is the hidden information, or lack of, of which PS is part of by association with the council.

Last edited:
...that's it in a nutshell as a private company owned by Scally he doesn't have to inform interested parties anything. The Council on the other hand are elected to serve the council tax paying people of Medway. People have a right to see confirmation that no council tax money (or loss of revenue) has come from this deal. If it hasn't then the council has a cracking deal and we haven't. If it has then as tax payers we have every right to question it especially when the bill went up the maximum permitted and services are being cut.

What has anyone got to hide ? Hopefully nothing.

The cloak and dagger stuff is what pisses people off and allows some people to draw their own conclusions.

Anyway Scally and Mapel might need to make friends - he could be the council leader in 12 months time. The unease over this deal might well encourage a few more to get off their backsides and vote the tories out next May.
Mark, not quite true about disclosures the company owned by Scally has to make. They are set out in the Companies Act of England and Wales.

Captain, I do not understand your comment that "No one is criticizing the deal..."

Yes they are. I accept that certain aspects have not been revealed, but too many people have erupted regardless and purely because it is the local council.

Trev, that is a load of bollocks. The 4 year deal was announced at the player of the year do in May 2014, where PS stated on the night it was the the biggest sponsorship deal in the club's history worth half a million quid over four years.

So there were details announced at the time (unlike now) and from my memory no criticism, how could there have been of a deal the best in the club's history.

No one is criticizing the deal, what people are questioning is the hidden information, or lack of, of which PS is part of by association with the council.
You’re talking about the renewal of the sponsorship. How about when MEMS were originally announced as our sponsor in 2011 with the stadium renamed?

Exactly what has been hidden?
What full disclosure are you expecting?
Scally said there is a deal with Medway Council which doesn't involve financial benefit, that sounds like he has disclosed the details.
Yet again people are jumping on the political band wagon, the wicked Tories cutting back on services, the fact that Labour councils are doing the same doesn't count.
Lets all spend the imaginary pot of money from cloud cuckoo land and all the services will return.

The councillor was wrong to write direct to Scally; he should have taken it up with the appropriate person at the council.

I may have got the wrong end of the stick here but I thought that when Vince Maple questioned the deal and asked for more information on Sunday he was not specifically asking Gillingham FC to provide it. I think he expected the leader of the council, of which he is a part, to disclose everything.

The reason he has subsequently written to Scally appears to be in reaction to the accusation about funding Scally's lifestyle in Dubai. I don't know who made that accusation but Maple only wanted to make it clear that he and a colleague were not the source.

He is entitled to write direct to Scally on that different point in order to clarify and defend himself.

FFS, stop keep whinging about how disgraceful it is, you do not know the details of any of it.
F.

Which is the point that is being made. What are the details. Its different to a company to company sponsorship deal which is none of our business (unless we are share holders).

Medway Council is a public service funded by council tax payers. If truly no money is involved then all they need to do is provide the details and everyone can be satisfied.

I've just received a bill for the best part of 2K for this year council tax and frankly I don't want this council giving it the local football team even though I have supported them for 35 years. Despite what Shankly said there are a lot of things more important than football.

With all due respect, I think you might find that Vince Maple has nothing to do with the Medway Council leaders, who are Tories. He is the Leader of the opposition.
Therefore, whatever the Medway Council deem to do, he has no say, but obviously can whinge from the sidelines.

I

The reason he has subsequently written to Scally appears to be in reaction to the accusation about funding Scally's lifestyle in Dubai. I don't know who made that accusation but Maple only wanted to make it clear that he and a colleague were not the source.

He is entitled to write direct to Scally on that different point in order to clarify and defend himself.

Why put it in the public domain unless there is a hidden agenda or motive?

PS has disclosed all he has or wants to but maybe the council has not and it seems that Maple is just trying to make publicity for himself - should we all write and say we were not the source

With all due respect, I think you might find that Vince Maple has nothing to do with the Medway Council leaders, who are Tories. He is the Leader of the opposition.
Therefore, whatever the Medway Council deem to do, he has no say, but obviously can whinge from the sidelines.
Incorrect

The way I read Scally's comments, I took it to mean he was critisising two groups of people. Firstly the group of people who think Scally still lives in Dubai and the club is a cash cow for him and secondly those who seem to be making political capital out of it such as Mr Maple.

Mr Maple in response has read the comments to mean that the Labour Party are members of the GISC.

Incorrect

Hardy31 is correct. It is you who is incorrect.

Since the Tory party take up the majority of the council seats then they can freely make a decision themselves without consulting Mr Maple unless Mr Maple has some sort of veto to block the vote of the majority of elected officials.