Scottish Independence Referendum | Page 3 | Vital Football

Scottish Independence Referendum

80deg16minW - 16/9/2014 17:34

zzz - 16/9/2014 17:27

What happens though if (when) they go tits up?

Last time they lost all their money and had to join us we were the ruling empire of the world?

If they do it again are they going to join the states or China?

What i found frustrating is that at the debates whenever the yes camp was asked a question they said they had a plan. Whenever the no camp pointed out that evidence said that couldn't happen, the no camp changed the subject and started shouting about scotland.

Do they not see what is going to happen to them? Because at the moment they think that what has been proven will not happen is going to happen regardless.

Also is there going to be a mass exodus if the vote comes back yes? People exodus not corporation exodus.

I can't remember if it was the last referendum on Quebec separation or the one before but it doesn't matter, it was a close call and some very significant head offices moved from Montreal to Toronto to avoid anymore bullshit.

A global Steel business I know, had previously identified two acquisitions in O&G in particular value-add steel transformations; if the 'yes' vote wins they are shelving both, it's multi-million expansion investment plan that could create a significant number of jobs, in the last week their chief treasury officer advised the board that the investments should only be considered being made south of the border - his general advice can be summed as whilst he expects a short term lift, once currency union falls apart they will be effectively wiped out for around two decades, I read his reasoning it was sound. That said, I hope he's wrong, because if it isn't the 30,000 Scottish graduates that come to England every year will turn into a deluge and Scotland will just get weaker and weaker.

Apparently there's already a mini exodus of Scottish savers into Carlisle. Lots of banks there saying people have been coming in and transferring accounts.

Haha! Priceless.

I wonder how far the 'No' campaign will go to scare people into going their way!
I wonder if there was no oil up there, would Westminster be at all interested?!

Oh, maybe they would seeing as 60% of Scottish land is not owned by Scotland.

Galvin's Shinpads - 17/9/2014 17:10

Haha! Priceless.

I wonder how far the 'No' campaign will go to scare people into going their way!

Well the 'yes' campaign has lied countless times to convince them and are now sending flash mobs and chav gobshites around to stifle the better together politicians - so it sound like it's a right old dirty fight.

oil revenue tax take for the whole of the UK from NS oil makes up between 1 and 2% of revenues, so it's almost irrelevant - but you seem to have taken the yes vote hook like and sinker....

Personally, I'm all for a yes vote now...I really hope they go, we will be so much better off.

Haha! Priceless.

oppose to physically scaring them.

Maybe the consequences are just scary.

Banks and businesses getting out of dodge aren't doing it for the British governments benefit. Maybe they are scared.

So far the snp have sounded like a caricature party from south park.

Haha! Priceless.

oppose to physically scaring them.

Maybe the consequences are just scary.

Banks and businesses getting out of dodge aren't doing it for the British governments benefit. Maybe they are scared.

So far the snp have sounded like a caricature party from south park.

Spursex - 17/9/2014 17:45

Haha! Priceless.

Well the 'yes' campaign has lied countless times to convince them and are now sending flash mobs and chav gobshites around to stifle the better together politicians - so it sound like it's a right old dirty fight.

oil revenue tax take for the whole of the UK from NS oil makes up between 1 and 2% of revenues, so it's almost irrelevant - but you seem to have taken the yes vote hook like and sinker....

Personally, I'm all for a yes vote now...I really hope they go, we will be so much better off.

I'm not necessarily for the 'Yes' campaign. I just think that change isn't so bad.

Galvin's Shinpads - 17/9/2014 18:08

Haha! Priceless.

I'm not necessarily for the 'Yes' campaign. I just think that change isn't so bad.

It might just force Scotland to stand on it's own two feet and become more entrepreneurial and that can't be a bad thing.

A narrow victory for either side is the worst possible outcome. A decisive mandate is needed either way. A narrow victory just means that this issue will never die and will continue to raise its ugly head every so often just like Quebec.

Spursex - 17/9/2014 19:01

Galvin's Shinpads - 17/9/2014 18:08

Haha! Priceless.

It might just force Scotland to stand on it's own two feet and become more entrepreneurial and that can't be a bad thing.

I think in fairness, the 'Yes' side have been wanting to stand on their own two feet for yonks now. This is the first time they have been given a chance to make it a reality.
It's the folk in the 'No' campaign who strike me as the folk who wish to remain living off London's charms.

Scotland has a big enough population to make a tax network possible. Unlike Northern Ireland and Wales.
Anyway, we're not far away now. It looks like it'll go right down to the wire.

Good luck to Scotland today. I look forward to the passport controls being in place sooner rather than later! :17:

What we need is a direct link between the camps in Calais to the border control at Gretna.....the more people that end up in Scotland the more chance they will have of a real taxable regime...and being a very social and fair minded society they will welcome the immigrants with open arms...unless they happen to be English of course....ha ha ......

spurdon - 18/9/2014 09:43

I just can not see them voting Yes so think its all a storm in a tea cup.

totally agree - said it days ago, when it comes down to voting today plenty will tick No despite telling everyone they are voting yes

basic human nature, 'better the devil you know'

Shetland MP has said they'd seriously consider trying to rejoin the UK if Scotland goes independent. Considering the huge amount of oil there, i'd absolutely love it if they did... Not because of the money, but because it was what Salmond based all his hopes and dreams on.

I expect a narrow no victory which the separatist will try to use to leverage greater concessions/preferencial treatment from Westminster. The spectre of Scottish independance will not die with this kind of victory much to everyones detriment.

CanadianSpur - 18/9/2014 17:48

I expect a narrow no victory which the separatist will try to use to leverage greater concessions/preferencial treatment from Westminster. The spectre of Scottish independance will not die with this kind of victory much to everyones detriment.

well with a bit of luck the yes vote will win - it's best for all concerned if it does.

Spursex - 18/9/2014 10:47

CanadianSpur - 18/9/2014 17:48

well with a bit of luck the yes vote will win - it's best for all concerned if it does.

I've said the same with the Quebec separatist here. Get out and leave the rest of the country to move forward without the albatross of threatened sepratists hang round our necks.