Scottish Independence Referendum | Page 2 | Vital Football

Scottish Independence Referendum

Yes vote would be 'nightmare' for engineering and defence businesses
EEF boss Terry Scuoler leads warnings of economic damage Scotland voting for independence would have on industry
'No' campaigner John Reid with after meeting with shipyard workers in Glasgow.
'No' campaigner John Reid with after meeting with shipyard workers in Glasgow. Photo: Reuters

By Alan Tovey

3:51PM BST 15 Sep 2014

Comments30 Comments

A Yes vote in Scotland would be a “disaster” and “nightmare” for the newly independent country that would result in it losing highly skilled defence sector jobs and jeopardise investment in its manufacturing industry for decades, according to experts.

The warnings over the likely impact on the aerospace, defence and engineering sectors of Scots voting to break away from the Union came just days before Thursday’s vote.

One of the most bleak assessments yet of the likely effects of a Yes vote came from Terry Scuoler, chief executive of EEF, the manufacturers’ association which represents more than 6,000 companies employing 900,000 staff.

Terry Scuoler, EEF chief executive, says people need to 'wake up to the enormity' of a Yes vote

Scottish nationalists 'severely underestimate the economic risks of independence', says think tank

"Independence would be a disaster for Scotland, economically and politically,” he said. “People need to wake up to the enormity of the decision they are facing and the potential nightmare scenario were the Yes campaign to succeed.”

Mr Scuoler – a Glaswegian – said an independent Scotland would suffer a “long and painful” economic decline, with skilled jobs being lost and never replaced.

“The vast majority of Scotland’s trade is with the rest of the UK and it is simply fanciful to think there will be no consequences from disconnecting ourselves from our biggest market,” he added.

“The Yes campaign has sold a vision of a prosperous future. But it is an illusion, and a dangerous one at that. The reality is there would be deeply damaging implications for the economy and the living standards of ordinary Scots for decades to come.”

He called for “‘hard-headed” thinking over how to vote and said that “the truly courageous and patriotic route is to vote ‘No’ and preserve the United Kingdom”.

Polls indicating only a very narrow margin separates the two camps mean that the vote is too close to comfortably call, raising questions about the future for businesses operating in the sectors.

According to data from trade body ADS, aerospace, defence and marine companies in Scotland account for a tenth of the entire UK industry, and 800 companies operate north of the border, employing nearly 40,000 people.

“The greatest cause of damage is uncertainty and I’m afraid whichever way the vote goes a level of uncertainty will remain,” said defence and industry analyst Howard Wheeldon. “If it is a Yes vote there will be damage to businesses while there are negotiations about how the process will work, if it’s a No there will a ‘what happens next?’ attitude, especially if the vote is close.”

He said that while he did not expect companies to pull back operations to England in the event of Scotland voting for independence, the level of support indicated for the country breaking away would be an issue.

“There’s a large contingent of the defence industrial base in Scotland and it will be riven with uncertainty for a long time to come,” Mr Wheeldon said. “The permanent issue is that companies will think carefully about future investment in Scotland. They have learnt a lot over the past few months over whether Scotland wants to be in Europe or a member of NATO.”

One of the largest employers affected by the situation is BAE Systems, which has 3,500 staff in Scotland, concentrated at its Glasgow shipyards.

The company has been largely tight-lipped about the referendum, saying the vote is matter for the people of Scotland and the Government, but that "the continued union offers certainty and security” something it could “no longer rely on” in the event of a Yes vote.

However, Mr Wheeldon said it was unlikely that BAE would return Navy shipbuilding to the UK in the short-term should the vote go in Scottish nationalists’ favour.

However, ADS did flag up key concerns raised by members over independence, including increased costs through different taxation and legal systems, supply chains being rethought to avoid cross-border complexity, reduced support for exports through lower spending power and weaker global competitiveness because of diminished influence in organisations such as NATO the UN and EU.

Paul Everitt, ADS chief executive, said: “ADS members... benefit from the stability, strength and scale of the whole of the UK. The outcome of the referendum on the future of Scotland could have a profound impact on these sectors’ global competitiveness. ADS believes such economic risks and long-lasting consequences are a legitimate part of the pre-referendum debate.

“There is genuine uncertainty about the impact of independence on the UK’s – and Scotland’s – international influence, export opportunities and inward investment.”

I think whatever way Scotland goes in the end, we are unlikely ever again, to see as good a referendum platform as 'Fuck the Tories'.

I think it's ironic that they could possibly be leaving the union in much the same way as they joined. By putting all their eggs in an idiotic, unplanned cluster fuck of a basket.

Genuinely feel sorry for them.

whatever happens it's so close that they've doomed the country to in fighting and discontent... Even if they reach the giddy heights of 60/40 in one direction, the ones who lose will be so pissed off they'll probably never forgive the rest. The nationalists will get worse whichever way this goes...

If Scotland vote yes then they are going backwards and running from their problems. As a Welshman who has English parents I just cant stand nationalism. We should all work together. I would feel so let down of so many Welsh people wanted to leave the UK. I'd have to move away from my homeland if it came to that.

Galvin's Shinpads - 15/9/2014 19:31

I think whatever way Scotland goes in the end, we are unlikely ever again, to see as good a referendum platform as 'Fuck the Tories'.

What's really ironic is that it may well be the saving of the rest of the Nation...happy days!

freundorfoe - 15/9/2014 23:03

whatever happens it's so close that they've doomed the country to in fighting and discontent... Even if they reach the giddy heights of 60/40 in one direction, the ones who lose will be so pissed off they'll probably never forgive the rest. The nationalists will get worse whichever way this goes...

The Scots have always been a divided nation; clan v clan, Catholics v Pro's, general sectarianism, lowlanders v Highlanders and God knows how many times they switched sides between different Royal Houses...and that's before we even look at how divided they are on politics.

So, it will be nothing new.

I lived up there among Scottish people for 20 years and got to know the Scottish Psyche quite well although it is evident that there are three distinct camps....intelligent people using their heads and intelligent people following their hearts, and 'thicko's' who will follow their hearts as they dont have heads, and that is where the vote will be won or lost.

Especially noticeable was when the had a few 'swallers' too many. Many had almost a paranoid deep down rooted despising of the English, nationalistic tendencies are evident all of the time. A lovely passionate race but they still feel conquered and controlled and Scots hate that.

So the thickos will vote with their hearts and if not enough intelligent people vote with their heads, then the union is over!

Was in Scotland on Friday and Saturday, doing the 3 Peak challenge, and the scots I spoke to want out, they want their independence. They really think they will thrive without us. They seem to think they have enough resources to survive and make shit loads of cash.

I drove through Glasgow an saw the biggest shit hole in the world. I drove through Lochness and Nevis and their is feck all their except highlands, lakes and sheep. I suppose they have some oil, but that won't last for ever.

They hate us too. I say feck em.

The thing that bothers me is that we're bending over backwards to draft up more powers for the Scots while they push ever closer to cutting off their own noses.

I say let them have at it. Offer nothing. They can have what they're getting now, or they can go do their own thing.

By the way, how much is it going to cost them - roughly - to start up their own public services? It sounds like they're going to want a shit ton of them (because the Scots are oh so liberal and left-wing, even though every Scot i've known personally, wasn't) and they're not going to spring up out of thin air after Westminster stops running them and funding them.

They claim (incorrectly) that they'll have billions in windfall from oil, but I imagine most of it is going to be absorbed by the financial scare they cause by leaving, their currency uncertainty, big corporations (including big-oil) heading south, and their probable lack of control over their own currency. I doubt they'll have much left to start building up their own bureaucracy.

ahx00 - 16/9/2014 11:35

By the way, how much is it going to cost them - roughly - to start up their own public services? It sounds like they're going to want a shit ton of them (because the Scots are oh so liberal and left-wing, even though every Scot i've known personally, wasn't) and they're not going to spring up out of thin air after Westminster stops running them and funding them.

They claim (incorrectly) that they'll have billions in windfall from oil, but I imagine most of it is going to be absorbed by the financial scare they cause by leaving, their currency uncertainty, big corporations (including big-oil) heading south, and their probable lack of control over their own currency. I doubt they'll have much left to start building up their own bureaucracy.

It's why the Pound is so important to them; with it they hope they will be able to start borrowing from day 1, but then as it would still be a currency union they have to rely upon the BOE to underwrite it, without the pound, no matter what currency mechanism they come up with their currency will cost them dear in the markets, will probably be shorted heavily and will effectively devalue whatever they float it at.

Some think this will be a good thing as it will force the scots to cut public services as the interest charges (think the PIGS) will be unsustainable and if they meet their current spending commitments they will be running a huge deficit on top of their structural one...

Will the Scots quickly realise how far and how fast they'll have to bring in free market policies and fierce austerity measures?

Perhaps, but if they do, it won't be pretty.

the whole thing is a bit 'fishy' if you ask me - I mean - Salmon and Sturgeon. Conspiracy!

As for Ex's comments re LAbour never winning again without Scottish seats that in itself is enough to want to see a No vote! Destroy the humanoid Cameron.

And that's another thing - Cameron??????????????? hoots man the McDonalds winnae have that

Change is good. It's the only way the proverbial bonnet of the UK car can be lifted open and checked properly.

Good things could come from Scottish Independence. In 2 days time, we'll see.

Galvin's Shinpads - 16/9/2014 13:05

Change is good. It's the only way the proverbial bonnet of the UK car can be lifted open and checked properly.

Good things could come from Scottish Independence. In 2 days time, we'll see.

I'm pretty much in accordance with that, except of course I can see a massive upside for the rest of the UK when the dust finally settles and it may at long last also change Scottish attitudes and make them more entrepreneurial (which is what the ScotNats also claim I admit)...

I think a big dose of realism once the celebrations die down would be a huge plus for Scotland.

ST2 - 16/9/2014 11:53

the whole thing is a bit 'fishy' if you ask me - I mean - Salmon and Sturgeon. Conspiracy!

As for Ex's comments re LAbour never winning again without Scottish seats that in itself is enough to want to see a No vote! Destroy the humanoid Cameron.

And that's another thing - Cameron??????????????? hoots man the McDonalds winnae have that

You're such a buzzkill - a land free of labour is worth voting for - watching them wiggle against the ScotNats has been the highlight of the debate - it's like they're all just trying to out-do each other with promises of ever more lavish spending....

Then of course sometime later that bitch called reality will bite.

Bye bye Scotland - within a decade labour will have disappeared forever!

Happy days.

Move over Cameron, here comes Boris.... :17:

What happens though if (when) they go tits up?

Last time they lost all their money and had to join us we were the ruling empire of the world?

If they do it again are they going to join the states or China?

What i found frustrating is that at the debates whenever the yes camp was asked a question they said they had a plan. Whenever the no camp pointed out that evidence said that couldn't happen, the no camp changed the subject and started shouting about scotland.

Do they not see what is going to happen to them? Because at the moment they think that what has been proven will not happen is going to happen regardless.

Also is there going to be a mass exodus if the vote comes back yes? People exodus not corporation exodus.

zzz - 16/9/2014 17:27

What happens though if (when) they go tits up?

Last time they lost all their money and had to join us we were the ruling empire of the world?

If they do it again are they going to join the states or China?

What i found frustrating is that at the debates whenever the yes camp was asked a question they said they had a plan. Whenever the no camp pointed out that evidence said that couldn't happen, the no camp changed the subject and started shouting about scotland.

Do they not see what is going to happen to them? Because at the moment they think that what has been proven will not happen is going to happen regardless.

Also is there going to be a mass exodus if the vote comes back yes? People exodus not corporation exodus.

I can't remember if it was the last referendum on Quebec separation or the one before but it doesn't matter, it was a close call and some very significant head offices moved from Montreal to Toronto to avoid anymore bullshit.