schools | Page 3 | Vital Football

schools

What are you talking about, jokerman?!

I clearly said at the very beginning of the post, "Stolen, but sums up my sentiments". Look, it's here:
https://forums.vitalfootball.co.uk/threads/lions-led-by-donkeys.104796/

You even posted on the thread! Why did you not mention this then? And why bring it up on this thread?

For one of the most level headed posters on here, one to whom many of us (I'm sure) usually represents sound rationale, this is all most peculiar. I only did it once, ffs! It's not as if it's such a huge faux pas, is it? I didn't pass it off as my own thoughts, just something that pretty much expressed my sentiment. Would it have been better if I'd just posted a link? Perhaps it would have been. But I really don't understand, why now and why here?!
Easy. I'd already had a pop at the other post. Don't care that it's not you, so making that clear is neither here nor there. It's cut and paste from you and if someone said what a load of old bollux, you'd say care to explain why you think that. That's putting them to work. Go on. Do another cut and paste to invite comment. I dare you.

how long as jokerman been admin on this site. He doesnt like copy and paste. why not ? It's good to include dialogue from people who are more knowledgeable about a subject than we are.

Easy. I'd already had a pop at the other post. Don't care that it's not you, so making that clear is neither here nor there. It's cut and paste from you and if someone said what a load of old bollux, you'd say care to explain why you think that. That's putting them to work. Go on. Do another cut and paste to invite comment. I dare you.

You've lost me.

People often link to articles to start a discussion.

If this is all simply because I cut and paste rather than put a link then it's all a bit of a storm in a tea cup. The reason I cut and paste the article rather than add a link was because I was hoping people would read it and I was worried that the particular website it came from (which I honestly can no longer remember but could probably find again) might put some people off reading it. But I say again, I made it clear it wasn't mine right from the off.

You seem to be pissed off about this but I'm genuinely struggling to see where you're coming from. It's as if you're giving me too much credit here. There was no hidden agenda on my part. I just read an article that struck a chord with me and then reposted it here for discussion. It was maybe mischievous of me because I knew it would be controversial but so what if it was?!

As for daring me, I'll take you up on that. Next time I read something that strikes a chord and that I think might be of interest and provoke discussion or debate on here I'll stick it up. As I always have.

You've lost me.

People often link to articles to start a discussion.

If this is all simply because I cut and paste rather than put a link then it's all a bit of a storm in a tea cup. The reason I cut and paste the article rather than add a link was because I was hoping people would read it and I was worried that the particular website it came from (which I honestly can no longer remember but could probably find again) might put some people off reading it. But I say again, I made it clear it wasn't mine right from the off.

You seem to be pissed off about this but I'm genuinely struggling to see where you're coming from. It's as if you're giving me too much credit here. There was no hidden agenda on my part. I just read an article that struck a chord with me and then reposted it here for discussion. It was maybe mischievous of me because I knew it would be controversial but so what if it was?!

As for daring me, I'll take you up on that. Next time I read something that strikes a chord and that I think might be of interest and provoke discussion or debate on here I'll stick it up. As I always have.

I've lost you. OK. Do you at least follow the argument that by cutting and pasting pieces, saying you agree with them and, implicitly or explicitly, inviting responses, you are inviting people to work quite hard in response to very little effort on your part. Not asking do you agree. Asking do you understand. If you do understand, can you also see how it might be quite fun to make this point about you of all people on here. Again, not asking if you agree. Just do you understand. As to whether you agree or not - of course you don't, and of course you won't stop doing it. And I am seriously upset. Look at all the work you've put me to. Serves me right for taking the piss. There is a God. He's keeping score. And if the consequences come quickly rather than get banked for the final reckoning, all I can do is be grateful for his mercy, and apologize for my comments.

how long as jokerman been admin on this site. He doesnt like copy and paste. why not ? It's good to include dialogue from people who are more knowledgeable about a subject than we are.

You are right on all counts, but it is better to say what you think than to say what other people think. No one can say better than you what you think.

I have two sons, one in year 3 and the youngest in nursery. My Mrs has been sent an email asking about our thoughts/concerns about our youngest going back to nursery. I have to say our main worries aren't him contacting the virus but whether nursery will be so different that it worries him. My sister is a teacher and she says it's a nightmare choosing between being safe from the virus, and keeping normality for kids and protecting their mental health and sociability. A very difficult and incredibly sad situation to be in.
I think that last bit sums up the feelings of the nation, even the world.
Strànge that everywhere you go you see random acts of kindness and apart from a few idiots, the world weirdly seems a better place in some ways.
Its not just working but everyday life that is changing and that will include the way we school our kids.
Stay safe mate.

There are clearly big differences in how schools are acting during lockdown. I am hearing about home schooling, virtual lessons etc. My boys get one or 2 emails a day, and it takes them 15-30 minutes to do the work they are set each day (if they have any at all).

I hope the teachers are working hard at home grading these kids, as I'm not seeing much evidence of work being done.

I've lost you. OK. Do you at least follow the argument that by cutting and pasting pieces, saying you agree with them and, implicitly or explicitly, inviting responses, you are inviting people to work quite hard in response to very little effort on your part. Not asking do you agree. Asking do you understand. If you do understand, can you also see how it might be quite fun to make this point about you of all people on here. Again, not asking if you agree. Just do you understand. As to whether you agree or not - of course you don't, and of course you won't stop doing it. And I am seriously upset. Look at all the work you've put me to. Serves me right for taking the piss. There is a God. He's keeping score. And if the consequences come quickly rather than get banked for the final reckoning, all I can do is be grateful for his mercy, and apologize for my comments.

Finally. I understand you!

Yes, now I understand I can very much see how it'd be fun to make that point about me. Very good. Though definitely not worth all that hard work. For either of us.

A levels and GCSEs were cancelled a couple of months ago. My eldest 2 would be doing their a levels / GCSEs this week as far as I'm aware

Agreed. My point is that they should be carrying on with the exams, rediculous decision to just cancel them.

Agreed. My point is that they should be carrying on with the exams, rediculous decision to just cancel them.
Good point, I mean, "exam conditions" by definition mean everyone would be socially distanced and could quite easily remain so on entering and leaving the venue in much the same way as we all do when we go shopping

No, I disagree. A decision had to be made in advance and was done. It wouldn't be fair on families if some kids went to school when their siblings didn't and exams / coronavirus are stressful enough without the added worry of not knowing what is going on. Some kids have computers and comfortable spaces at home, others don't. The only fair thing to everyone was to cancel

No, I disagree. A decision had to be made in advance and was done. It wouldn't be fair on families if some kids went to school when their siblings didn't and exams / coronavirus are stressful enough without the added worry of not knowing what is going on. Some kids have computers and comfortable spaces at home, others don't. The only fair thing to everyone was to cancel

My point is that they should have simply waited and have them once kids are back as exam age children are more sensible and these are some of the most important times for kids of this age. Revision and exam classes could be held in the summer. Less reason for any other kids to go back before September.
To just have teachers guessing how kids would do in an exam is ludicrous. My kids predicted scores for A-levels were all lower than achieved at exam (all As or A+) how is that fair on those types of kids.

My point is that they should have simply waited and have them once kids are back as exam age children are more sensible and these are some of the most important times for kids of this age. Revision and exam classes could be held in the summer. Less reason for any other kids to go back before September.
To just have teachers guessing how kids would do in an exam is ludicrous. My kids predicted scores for A-levels were all lower than achieved at exam (all As or A+) how is that fair on those types of kids.

Ill start off by simply admitting, there is no way of making it fair for all kids. Thats the simple truth. So with that in mind, its about picking the 'Most fair'...

If you cancel the exams and estimate how they will have done in the exam yes, youll be disadvantaging people that do better in exams. But then on the other hand, exams also disadvantage people who know it all but simply do not do well in exams. Going ahead with exams would also disadvantage those who were not able to continue learning as well as others at home due to lockdown and even many may be ill during this time also so unable to keep up. It would massively disadvantage people from poorer less educated families too as their parents will not be able to give them as much support/help as those from better edicated etc.

Add to that, exams are stressful enough, without having to do them with absolute limited help from teachers in the run in. That would be huge stress on students. Hugely unfair to put that pressure on them when theres alternatives.

Yes as i said, its not a perfect answer thats fair on absolutely all, but then neither is the other option. For me, the option picked is by far the lesser of two evils. We are always telling schools that kids have too many exams. Now we take some away and some are moaning. I would imagine that if the govt made kids do exams there would be uproar in the press and amongst teachers and pupuls. Its actually just about the only good clear and quick decision that the govt made IMO.

I really feel for school age young people in this crisis. It could be a long time before some of them get back to classroom learning and I sincerely hope that this long gap doesn`t affect them too adversely.

HMG needs to listen carefully to what the teaching professionals have to say about resolution options. Sometimes (often, perhaps) government becomes convinced they know better than (teacher) experts in the field - they don`t.

Ill start off by simply admitting, there is no way of making it fair for all kids. Thats the simple truth. So with that in mind, its about picking the 'Most fair'...

If you cancel the exams and estimate how they will have done in the exam yes, youll be disadvantaging people that do better in exams. But then on the other hand, exams also disadvantage people who know it all but simply do not do well in exams. Going ahead with exams would also disadvantage those who were not able to continue learning as well as others at home due to lockdown and even many may be ill during this time also so unable to keep up. It would massively disadvantage people from poorer less educated families too as their parents will not be able to give them as much support/help as those from better edicated etc.

Add to that, exams are stressful enough, without having to do them with absolute limited help from teachers in the run in. That would be huge stress on students. Hugely unfair to put that pressure on them when theres alternatives.

Yes as i said, its not a perfect answer thats fair on absolutely all, but then neither is the other option. For me, the option picked is by far the lesser of two evils. We are always telling schools that kids have too many exams. Now we take some away and some are moaning. I would imagine that if the govt made kids do exams there would be uproar in the press and amongst teachers and pupuls. Its actually just about the only good clear and quick decision that the govt made IMO.

But we do have an exam system and that is what the kids have been preparing for and prep exams could be done in July or aug etc.

Your other argument is the age old one about pressure, is it right, etc etc. Then change the rules.

Its like the scrap the season argument - don't change the rules half way through.