schools | Vital Football

schools

The pledge

Vital Reserves Team
I see a lot of friends with children posting on facebook about whether they should send their children back to school, so as a Primary School Headteacher I thought it might be worth sharing my thoughts.

First of all teachers and Headteachers will do everything they can to make their schools as safe as possible. No one goes into teaching for the pay, the work life balance or the holidays, if they did they wouldn't still be in the job. Teachers go into the profession because they care about children, your children. But as much as they care about your children they cannot make it 100% safe. The government guidelines sent to us at 8:17pm on Monday evening are lengthy, at times contradictory and in many places impractical.

To give one simple example of their impracticality, I have 20 classes in my School and 20 classrooms. I could repurpose two other rooms as classrooms, possibly three. At the beginning of June I am supposed to take in Nursery, Reception, Year 1 and Year 6, so 50% of children plus vulnerable and Key worker children in other year groups. They have to be in classes of no more than 15 children, so each class is split in half. I therefore need 20 classrooms plus one additional one for vulnerable and key worker children. 21 classrooms needed 23 available, so that's doable. By July I'm supposed to have all year groups back but taught in groups of 15, therefore I need 40 classrooms. So come July either all the children won't be back, or they will be taught in classes of 30 or I will have to build 17 new classrooms in less than 2 months. That's just the practical building problem, I've not even started on trying to staff it! So, schools will do everything possible to try to make things as safe as possible, but it wont be 'safe', and they won't be able to follow all the Government guidelines,

How safe will it be then? The simple answer is I don't know, I'm not a health professional or even a virologist, I was trained to teach children how to read, write, add up and take away! But I have been to Tesco once a week over the last 7 weeks. I've queued patiently outside, had my trolley wiped before I went in, followed the arrows on the floor and kept 2m away from anyone else . Yet I still try to spend as little time there as possible. That level of calm and social distancing is something I will aspire to in school, but is something I don't think it is possible to attain, or to be perfectly honest, get anywhere near. Children will not social distance, they will hug each other, they will play with each other, they will touch each other, and everything in the classroom, corridors, toilets, playgrounds etc. So ask yourself this question. If you could take your children to the supermarket with you at the moment would you do it? And if you would, would you be happy to stay in there several hours with them? If the answer is yes to both of those questions think about sending your child into school (but do genuinely think about it, school will not be as safe as the supermarket). If the answer is no to either question, don't even think about it.

Finally, trust the teachers and the Headteacher at your child's school. They care about your child and have their best interests at heart. If they say something is not possible, even if the school down the road is doing it, it's not possible. They will have thought through all options and there will be genuine reasons why they have taken the decisions they have, and they may not be able to share those reasons with you. Trust them, back them and support them, they will be doing the best they possibly can for your child.

again taken from a virus support group

As a parent of a 7 year old I personally think it is insane to be even thinking about sending some of them back! My daughter is in year 2, so she wont be going back until July at the earliest and is that worth it for a couple of weeks? To see how happy she was chatting with her friends on zoom there is no way they will social distance when they see each other in person!
So many things are up in the air! My wife and I continue to be furloughed, but my daughter cant go to school, but in June my 3 year old is allowed back to the childminder!

I see a lot of friends with children posting on facebook about whether they should send their children back to school, so as a Primary School Headteacher I thought it might be worth sharing my thoughts.

First of all teachers and Headteachers will do everything they can to make their schools as safe as possible. No one goes into teaching for the pay, the work life balance or the holidays, if they did they wouldn't still be in the job. Teachers go into the profession because they care about children, your children. But as much as they care about your children they cannot make it 100% safe. The government guidelines sent to us at 8:17pm on Monday evening are lengthy, at times contradictory and in many places impractical.

To give one simple example of their impracticality, I have 20 classes in my School and 20 classrooms. I could repurpose two other rooms as classrooms, possibly three. At the beginning of June I am supposed to take in Nursery, Reception, Year 1 and Year 6, so 50% of children plus vulnerable and Key worker children in other year groups. They have to be in classes of no more than 15 children, so each class is split in half. I therefore need 20 classrooms plus one additional one for vulnerable and key worker children. 21 classrooms needed 23 available, so that's doable. By July I'm supposed to have all year groups back but taught in groups of 15, therefore I need 40 classrooms. So come July either all the children won't be back, or they will be taught in classes of 30 or I will have to build 17 new classrooms in less than 2 months. That's just the practical building problem, I've not even started on trying to staff it! So, schools will do everything possible to try to make things as safe as possible, but it wont be 'safe', and they won't be able to follow all the Government guidelines,

How safe will it be then? The simple answer is I don't know, I'm not a health professional or even a virologist, I was trained to teach children how to read, write, add up and take away! But I have been to Tesco once a week over the last 7 weeks. I've queued patiently outside, had my trolley wiped before I went in, followed the arrows on the floor and kept 2m away from anyone else . Yet I still try to spend as little time there as possible. That level of calm and social distancing is something I will aspire to in school, but is something I don't think it is possible to attain, or to be perfectly honest, get anywhere near. Children will not social distance, they will hug each other, they will play with each other, they will touch each other, and everything in the classroom, corridors, toilets, playgrounds etc. So ask yourself this question. If you could take your children to the supermarket with you at the moment would you do it? And if you would, would you be happy to stay in there several hours with them? If the answer is yes to both of those questions think about sending your child into school (but do genuinely think about it, school will not be as safe as the supermarket). If the answer is no to either question, don't even think about it.

Finally, trust the teachers and the Headteacher at your child's school. They care about your child and have their best interests at heart. If they say something is not possible, even if the school down the road is doing it, it's not possible. They will have thought through all options and there will be genuine reasons why they have taken the decisions they have, and they may not be able to share those reasons with you. Trust them, back them and support them, they will be doing the best they possibly can for your child.

again taken from a virus support group

Phew! I read all of that panicking that there are some kids out there who attend a school where you're the headteacher.

The last line made sense and restored my calm.

Last edited:
Good posts. I can not get my old head around how you can possibly expect 5, 6, and 7 year olds to understand fully the situation and to keep to the social distancing rules - kids at that age are buzzing about and interacting. No way they should be returning to school yet imho.

I can not get my old head around how you can possibly expect 5, 6, and 7 year olds to understand fully the situation and to keep to the social distancing rules

But it’s common sense. And if they fail to do it and there’s a devastating second wave it will be their fault. Stupid fucking kids. The only comforting thought is that it will truly fuck up their future prospects.

On a more serious note, I will have a tough decision to make when the nurseries re-open. Unless there are any significant developments before then my daughter will be staying at home - hopefully the wife will remain on furlough until it’s safe to go back in the water.

I think it is simple as school year is nearly over anyway.
Either its all back and carry on as if there was no virus or everyone stays off for a few months. Worst case it will just be a long summer break.

The ones who need something done are only those taking GCSE or A levels. They should be back now as a top priority and if the year goes into the summer break then thats just how it is.

Either its all back and carry on as if there was no virus or everyone stays off for a few months. Worst case it will just be a long summer break.

The ones who need something done are only those taking GCSE or A levels. They should be back now as a top priority and if the year goes into the summer break then thats just how it is.
Mrs VG and I were saying the same.
It seems to us that it's back to front!
It's an economic decision , to get parents of pesky little ones , back to work and off furlough.

We used to have (up until March) around 45 kids coming to our house for lessons (max 5 per class).
The house has 2 entrances , from 2 different streets, so the kids don't walk through our living area.
All this is negated by the fact my wife sits next to these kids (aged 5 to 19) for lessons , and distancing gaps cannot be maintained.
I have agreement with her that her that this won't be happening anymore , and she will begin to teach online instead.

... as a Primary School Headteacher I thought it might be worth sharing my thoughts....

Apologies to all for the deviation - but I couldn’t get past the first sentence of this thread.

Are you really a head teacher?

I’m astounded that someone who expressed bigoted views on this board and made unsavoury allegations of others on this board could ever be trusted to care for children and promote values like tolerance.

Do you think your employers would approve of the stuff you post on this board?

Do you spout the teaching of TR in school assemblies?

Do you discriminate against any Muslim children at your school?

Apologies to all for the deviation - but I couldn’t get past the first sentence of this thread.

Are you really a head teacher?

I’m astounded that someone who expressed bigoted views on this board and made unsavoury allegations of others on this board could ever be trusted to care for children and promote values like tolerance.

Do you think your employers would approve of the stuff you post on this board?

Do you spout the teaching of TR in school assemblies?

Do you discriminate against any Muslim children at your school?
Someone's made a **** of himself , yet again.

Good posts. I can not get my old head around how you can possibly expect 5, 6, and 7 year olds to understand fully the situation and to keep to the social distancing rules - kids at that age are buzzing about and interacting. No way they should be returning to school yet imho.
My 6 year old understands pretty well the situation. I dont think he's any sort of child genius (no more than me, anyway), but he manages to know theres a virus/germs that means we all have to stay away from others or he could get very ill. He understands this perfectly well. In fact, he can be quite vigilant in enforcing it as well at times!

Whether he remembers he's supposed to keep his distance at ALL times is another thing though. As i guess it is for us all. This is where im sure he would struggle..like many of us have done also. I wont be the only person to have walked up the aisle of tesco the wrong way by accident!

We saw some friends in the park recently and talked to them from a distance for a bit and he started off social distancing from their child but playing, kicking a ball too and fro etc, but it gradually got forgotten as he went back to normal getting much closer to his friend. But if reminded calmly he would distance again without much worry at all.

Whether its physically possible to socially distance in a school with 15 other students, well im not sure, and thats another matter. Ive not been in a classroom for years. Ill go with what the teachers are saying (most are saying not). But regarding what they understand, little ones understand a lot more than people give them credit for. Were not talking about nursery age here, he's been doing bloody verbs, adjectives, adverbs and nouns this week at (home)school and does times tables! I'd hope he understands the concept of a virus/social distancing.

I've noted a disturbing trend towards cutting other people's stuff and pasting it on here, saying I agree with this or some such and inviting a response. It's lazy. It's exploitative -yes you Buddha. Slam down something and invite the proles to slog through their point-by-point responses to it. A real middle management trick. Next thing, we'll have people cutting and pasting responses to the original cut and paste, things'll be fully automated and we'll all be out on the streets with nothing to do. It has to stop, and stop now. That's all. Carry on.

Phew! I read all of that panicking that there are some kids out there who attend a school where you're the headteacher.

The last line made sense and restored my calm.

Typical click-baiting tactic - which I fell for.

Bit like that Ali G sketch where he says something and then says “not” at the end.

Anyway, I might have made a tit of myself, but I’m just comforted that this caudex isn’t allowed to be loose educating the next generation. Phew!

I've noted a disturbing trend towards cutting other people's stuff and pasting it on here, saying I agree with this or some such and inviting a response. It's lazy. It's exploitative -yes you Buddha. Slam down something and invite the proles to slog through their point-by-point responses to it. A real middle management trick. Next thing, we'll have people cutting and pasting responses to the original cut and paste, things'll be fully automated and we'll all be out on the streets with nothing to do. It has to stop, and stop now. That's all. Carry on.
You just don't know how hard I've had to try to resist just copying that whole post and re posting it as mine.
But I did.
I feel so proud of myself.
Am I a grown up now? 👍👎

good old rashbutt lowers the whole tone as usual. I have common sense, intelligent, not arrogant, listen to others, and being an expert on 1 subject doesnt make me an expert on everything. So u should have guessed from that I'm not a teacher or headmaster. I exclude Bromley from my latest insult.

A levels and GCSEs were cancelled a couple of months ago. My eldest 2 would be doing their a levels / GCSEs this week as far as I'm aware

If i
You just don't know how hard I've had to try to resist just copying that whole post and re posting it as mine.
But I did.
I feel so proud of myself.
Am I a grown up now? 👍👎

If it were down to me, you'd have a field promotion, Nobby, honest. Sadly, very little is down to me, and less day by day.