Scally to stand down | Page 7 | Vital Football

Scally to stand down

The myth goes on

simply thousands will return when PS is gone.
exactly where is the evidence that people are 'only' staying away because of scally. Fans come to games because of success.

when the dockyard closed and the towns lost so many jobs then we did actually lose a few thousand which has never recovered.

we did not even fill the ground every week during the champ years.

i had never thought of going to gills just because i was welcomed, its our club ffs.

i think this is the first move towards PS going. Walking away immediately will do nothing to obtain a good sale for PS.
Spot on Jerry.
I want to watch the Gills 'cos I'm a Gills fan. I don't give a toss what the Chairman thinks of me or whether he welcomes me. I'm not going round his house for dinner, I'm watching my team at Priestfield.

Ps. As for dinner at Scally's, I admit he'd probably be tight enough to charge me for it.
:-)

Pps How about the new Chairman doles out a bunch of nice flowers and a glass of Prosecco to all returnees to make them feel welcome.

Spot on Jerry.
I want to watch the Gills 'cos I'm a Gills fan. I don't give a toss what the Chairman thinks of me or whether he welcomes me. I'm not going round his house for dinner, I'm watching my team at Priestfield..

I should add with myself that my lad was born August 2021, so this has made it harder for me to go to games as the Mrs wants me around and I want to spend time with him - so it has been easy excuse for me.

But in relation to being made to feel welcome comments, I would say his words were 'stay away if you are negative'. I have quite literally heeded that advice personally.

I wouldn't have been dishing out any of the obscene abuse, but I would have been chanting Scally out if I had gone, I won't lie, I doubt most of you would have wanted to be around that/wanted me there as a result. I could be wrong.

Also given I want him out, I do think personally it would be very hypocritical of me to then make him think all is well, by boosting the attendance and giving over money.

The last year has been awful really as a football club, to the point that although I love the club and want the best for us, my weekends haven't been destroyed when we lose, as it used to be, this may be a by product of fatherhood and thinking there is more to life to football, but it has coincided with the toxicity and situation around the club.

So with all that in mind, I have not been desperate to get down Priestfield. Away games are another matter.

I don't think my fire to want to go back will be fully there until he actually sells (unless my lad says in a few years Dad can I go and Scally is still at the helm then), I know I may be crucified for that.

Last edited:
So, if Scally announced buyers next month, I assume that you would start going to Priestfield again?
Correct ?
Top man 👍
Honestly, there’s no shame in just saying that you’ve fallen out of love with it and have other priorities.

Spot on Jerry.
I want to watch the Gills 'cos I'm a Gills fan. I don't give a toss what the Chairman thinks of me or whether he welcomes me. I'm not going round his house for dinner, I'm watching my team at Priestfield.

Ps. As for dinner at Scally's, I admit he'd probably be tight enough to charge me for it.
:-)

Pps How about the new Chairman doles out a bunch of nice flowers and a glass of Prosecco to all returnees to make them feel welcome.
That wont be cheap.

So, if Scally announced buyers next month, I assume that you would start going to Priestfield again?
Correct ?
Top man 👍
Honestly, there’s no shame in just saying that you’ve fallen out of love with it and have other priorities.

Yes I would. Not every game, as I didn't before anyway, but yes first game back I would be there and for a lot of that season.

For some context and comparison, back in 2012 I relocated to Bucks for a job (came back in 2015) and the only time I saw the now Mrs was weekends, and even then I still went to Gills home games on most Saturdays.

I'm pleased and concerned with the news.

I'm pleased for Scally and his mental health. He's not remotely innocent in the situation but the abuse and targeting from the small core of the SOB is totally unacceptable. Thankfully Scally isn't vindictive enough screw the club over to spite them. I assume the level of stalking got too much and he was probably starting to feel very unsafe.

I'm concerned that we really don't know what will happen next. I like that Scally runs a tight ship and I don't want a rich owner. This is before we get into the realities of which ****** could try to buy us.

However, by far my biggest concern is that the abusive SOB element will see this as vindication and proof that their behavior is okay. The way they've gone about it is totally unacceptable. They will 100% do this again once they realise there isn't some magic success pill the club can take.

Some have mentioned unifying the fans, whilst I generally agree I have no desire to be unified with Fred & Co. They can go f*** themselves and go create a new club for all I care.

It would be great if the good people like Mark can get back into Gills again though.

An exciting start to the week. Here's hoping this is the start of a new direction for the club.

Fisher clearly has connections and a history of gaining investment elsewhere.

I only have two worries

(1) will scally actually relinquish control and let Fisher run the show. If not Fisher may go the same way as the previous CEO's

(2) His message states if he reignites the fire he may be back. I think better for all for this not to happen.

Scally can take a lot of credit for his tenure but recently the clubs needed a fresh direction. Even he admitted that he'd taken it as far as he could.

Hopefully we'll have more wins than court cases going forwards.

Id love to say hasta la vista scally but suspect he'd reply with I'll be back !!!!
Welcome back, Mark (y)

Welcome back, Mark (y)

Very kind. Only missed one game on my boycott - shortest in history !

Ive read the forum occasionally over the summer but not posted as there's not been much to comment on really, same old debates going around in circles. Now we have something new, potentially a brave new dawn or not. Only time will tell.

If the new fella can sort out the basics then thatll do for starters. To everyone saying hes gone then i think you are reading way too much into it. Hes taking an extended break but is still co-chair and owner. It could go either way. He could come back rested and full of nautical catchphrases or he could sell up. I still think the former but time will tell.

Ive read the forum occasionally over the summer but not posted as there's not been much to comment on really, same old debates going around in circles. Now we have something new, potentially a brave new dawn or not. Only time will tell.

If the new fella can sort out the basics then thatll do for starters. To everyone saying hes gone then i think you are reading way too much into it. Hes taking an extended break but is still co-chair and owner. It could go either way. He could come back rested and full of nautical catchphrases or he could sell up. I still think the former but time will tell.
Welcome back Mark.

What did you have for lunch?

Basics like apostrophes? 😜

Imagine the carnage if he returns and says he has found a new lease of life and will reprise power for the foreseeable future? I can't imagine it, and while I'm pretty much on the fence (not fully Scally-out, not a big Scally apologist), he'd go down in my estimations for what will be retrospectively seen as an attention-seeking and pointless announcement.

It's not black and white though, if he remains, I think it'd be purely in a position to ensure the club is sold and ends up in good hands.

Fun to speculate and really I'm just interested to see how this progresses. I just REALLY hope it doesn't put the brakes on the improvement of the first team squad and/or spook Harris off.

Basics like apostrophes? 😜

In my defence sat on a beach with sunglasses on, bright sunshine so i can barely see the keys - lucky to have got the right letters let alone punctuation.

Just outside Bournemouth by the way. They used to be our peers. Wonder what happened to them !

This is a case of wait and see but it looks to me like he has stepped back rather than stepped down, He certainly hasn't 'gone' anywhere.
I just hope the outcome is that NH can get on with running the side and we can start to look forward to a better future.

This is a case of wait and see but it looks to me like he has stepped back rather than stepped down, He certainly hasn't 'gone' anywhere.
I just hope the outcome is that NH can get on with running the side and we can start to look forward to a better future.
Harris runs the team
Fisher runs the club
I want communication from Harris about the team
I want to hear nothing from Fisher (or Scally)

When we recruited NH, I think we all could not quite believe it but gave PS credit for a cracking appointment. We accepted we were already relegated but the positivity was palpable. I liked the idea of bringing in Shorey as well.

Even though I had not heard of Fisher, I feel the same today, just because it is a change and nobody has so far found any negatives about him.

In compared to January, things are definitely more upbeat even though we find ourselves in a lower division.

PS does deserve credit for that, although his absence is a key contribution.

I know this won’t lead to any major immediate investment. What I hope is some fresh ideas. He was CEO of a firm in charge of all the main horse racing venues - hopefully he’ll have a contact or two who’ll know how to attract agency staff. No extra budget needed here, as opening up at least the GRS food/drink facilities will make you money. There are some real east wins here, whereas Scally has been in tortoise mode for too long. You don’t have dental bills once all of your teeth fall out mentality.

If Scally truly cared about his health then he would step away and say “I’m not going to worry myself with anything GFC related for the next 2-3 months, so no micro-managing. You do what you want within reason. I’ll look back in 2-3 months and will gauge the atmosphere, workload and attractiveness of the club”

Hopefully this is in the best interests of both GFC and PS, although after 27 years of living and breathing it I find it hard to believe he'll be able to walk away from it as easily as his statement suggests, especially given he has a vested finacial interest.

Given the out of order abuse he's suffered over the last couple of years it's hardly surprising he's taken this decision.

Not convinced Paul Fisher will want the attention PS has courted over the years, from SSN and the like, he'll more just want to get on with the job.

There is more to life than football, hopefully this will work out for the better for both PS and GFC going forward. Only time will tell I guess.