Scally to stand down | Page 6 | Vital Football

Scally to stand down

Gimmer tells me that in the mid 2000s Mr Scally spent a number of years residing on and off in Dubai? Not sure who was actually doing the day to day hands on running of the club whilst he was abroad but could this latest situation merely be an extension of how he was running the club back then?
This is what I worry about. Paul Scally remaining as a Grey Cardinal type or even returning to running the club day to day solves very little. If we're talking about the toxic atmosphere his return would only make things worse, In terms of the decline of the club Paul Scally remaining as owner while someone else runs the club is merely a sideways move.

It may be easier for an intermediary to locate a potential buyer and do the initial negotiations. Certainly less stressful for Scally because anything he does is now instantly subject to criticism.

The interesting thing is, though, that he will now be paying Fisher to be the CEO as well as hoping to draw his normal annual remuneration, which will put further strain on the club's finances and mean that he is even less likely to be able to sell at a generous price.

That makes me think this may be short term, that a takeover may be closer than we think, and that maybe Fisher may be one of the investors. Scally's piece on KOL said something along the lines of Fisher "maybe" trying to put together a board of directors. Now that would be new and show the club is moving on.

Then perhaps all supporters can thank PS for all he initially did for the club when we even beat sides like West Ham, forgive the days of Burscough and Brackley surrenders, and then move on.

No.
I have no idea who "Fred" is.
I don't read Twitter (never have - apart from one-off links - which rarely make sense by themselves !)

I just think there are far too many unsubstantiated accusations out there....
...along with raising the status of "victimhood" such that no one is allowed to question said "victim".

If someone makes an assertion they should not be offended (or assume a conspiracy ;)) if someone asks for an explanation.

(Still haven't been told what chant was "vile" ....
And it is entirely possible I would agree)

I notice that you ask a lot of questions and then, when someone replies, you often ignore them.

I asked you a question (post #84) about long distance away games, linked to your question about vile chants. No reply, just a soft nudge:

Still haven't been told what chant was "vile"

Do you really expect either NW Blues (or me) to write down a list of the actual vile words aimed at PS by some foul-mouthed members of the SOB, so that you can judge whether or not they are vile ? I`d do it before a Judge and Jury - (and have done !) but don`t intend to do so here and now.

If you`re not prepared to accept that within the presence and hearing of several of us (on this Board) there has been direct abuse from the SOB aimed at PS, then so be it. If you`re implying that I (or others) don`t know what constitutes vile abuse then you`re mistaken.

If you`re at Tranmere on Saturday I would be prepared to whisper said vile tripe in your ear.

It may be easier for an intermediary to locate a potential buyer and do the initial negotiations. Certainly less stressful for Scally because anything he does is now instantly subject to criticism.
That’s assuming that there is someone who wants to buy a provincial football club with a fanbase problem.
I’m guessing that all of the previous serious buyers who would not invest because Scally insisted on total control will re-emerge.
The SOB were constantly telling us that he had offers but didn’t take them.

Last edited:
The interesting thing is, though, that he will now be paying Fisher to be the CEO as well as hoping to draw his normal annual remuneration, which will put further strain on the club's finances and mean that he is even less likely to be able to sell at a generous price.

That makes me think this may be short term, that a takeover may be closer than we think, and that maybe Fisher may be one of the investors. Scally's piece on KOL said something along the lines of Fisher "maybe" trying to put together a board of directors. Now that would be new and show the club is moving on.

Then perhaps all supporters can thank PS for all he initially did for the club when we even beat sides like West Ham, forgive the days of Burscough and Brackley surrenders, and then move on.
If he and the new CEO are employed by the club it will have absolutely no effect on the value of the club.
When someone is valuing a business the directors remuneration etc. is always added back as when/if you buy the company that is no longer a cost.

That’s assuming that there is someone who wants to buy a provincial football club with a fanbase problem.
I’m guessing that all of the previous serious buyers who would not invest because Scally insisted on total control will re-emerge.

If they read his one sided interview with the Sun, any serious buyers will probably be heading for the hills already, regardless of the fact that THEY may actually know how to do PR and not look to antagonise.

Gimmer tells me that in the mid 2000s Mr Scally spent a number of years residing on and off in Dubai? Not sure who was actually doing the day to day hands on running of the club whilst he was abroad but could this latest situation merely be an extension of how he was running the club back then?
When Scally was living in Dubai Kate he was very much responsible for the day to day running of the club.
In fact he said it was easier and more efficient to do so then as he wasn’t constantly interrupted every day.
With technology etc. as it is now you really do not need to physically present all of the time.

I've said before that there's more to life than work and being chairman of GFC is like running a public company with 5000 shareholders (the fans in our case).

Good luck to him, I hope he enjoys his life without that dickhead Fred taking shots at him.

UTG.

If he and the new CEO are employed by the club it will have absolutely no effect on the value of the club.
When someone is valuing a business the directors remuneration etc. is always added back as when/if you buy the company that is no longer a cost.

So you are saying that is he pays Fisher £100k-£200k a year, when he has not been paid anything up until now, the club will still be worth the same as if/before that money was paid out?

I still think there’s a lot of naivety about the potential for new owners, particularly in the current economic climate. If this was such an easy thing to achieve, why wouldn’t every club at our level have wealthy owners ? You just need to look around to see that it’s not the case. In truth there have been a few highly successful changes of ownership and an almost identical number of disastrous ones. I equally would like to see new owners not because I have anything against Scally, but the pressures he’s under aren’t fair and he’s 67. He deserves a break.

I know it’s going over old ground but simply putting the club up for sale is a fairly certain way of turning a relatively stable financial situation into an unstable one unless there is some certainty that a responsible new owner could be forthcoming. That’s why I support Scally‘s softly softly approach to finding new owners, although I recognise that can’t go on forever.

I'd be surprised if we could get any decent buyers. Why would someone want to take over a club where the vast majority of locals don't give a sh#t about them and have London on their doorstep?

This is the major problem regardless of anything Scally has done/will do/been like.

The myth goes on

simply thousands will return when PS is gone.
exactly where is the evidence that people are 'only' staying away because of scally. Fans come to games because of success.

when the dockyard closed and the towns lost so many jobs then we did actually lose a few thousand which has never recovered.

we did not even fill the ground every week during the champ years.

i had never thought of going to gills just because i was welcomed, its our club ffs.

i think this is the first move towards PS going. Walking away immediately will do nothing to obtain a good sale for PS.

I'd be surprised if we could get any decent buyers. Why would someone want to take over a club where the vast majority of locals don't give a sh#t about them and have London on their doorstep?

This is the major problem regardless of anything Scally has done/will do/been like.

I do maintain (and am in agreement/delusion with Scally) that in a new easier to access stadium, with a more successful football team, that we are an attractive proposition.

We are in a conurbation of 300k in Medway and 2 million in Kent.

When Scally took over we were averaging sub 4k gates if I have that right? To its pomp at around 8.5k-9k in the Championship, that is basically double in under a decade.

I realise a new owner won't guarantee success, but if by some divine chance we did get a wealthy enough benefactor that helped finance the stadium and the team and with the right initiatives locally and those that have stopped going in the last 10-15 years maybe returning, I do believe we could average over 10k in the championship and over 15-20k if not more if we by some miracle one day made the prem.

By no means are we a sleeping giant, but there is a lot of potential with the club.

Technically he isn't gone though, all the time he is still owner of the club.

I said before that I haven't been going to home games as ultimately I don't feel welcome, owing to his comments of 'if you are negative about me stay away'.

One side of me now thinks well you are welcome now, clean slate, new day to day running of the club and therefore a new voice/opinion etc, the other half is thinking he still calls the shots deep down as majority shareholder, and if I and others return he may feel rejuvenated at the larger gates, rekindle the fire in his belly and we're back to square one as a club.

Clearly, that seems unlikely - but we have been hearing he has wanted to sell for 15+ years - and ultimately I don't really trust his word that he will take a proper active step back - and he is a natural fighter, so it wouldn't surprise me if he did return formally in the months to come.

The day thousands properly return, are when he has formally sold up to someone else imo.
👎

My main thought while trawling through social media now:

It’s ok to want Scally out while condemning abuse such as the singing of the paedo song each away game. 🤷‍♂️ #Gills
Yes, of course. I think virtually everyone wants him out for a wide variety of reasons, some even for the bloke's own good health.
(or have I been whooshed here?)