Salary Cap? | Vital Football

Salary Cap?

Yay 100%

Might mean if you ever get to the Championship it'll be a short adventure but a nay could lead to the end of many L1 and L2 clubs

I agree with the need to do something but I'm not sure that it's the best option purely because everyone need to be on board for it to work and I'm not sure they will be.

If someone can come up with 150 words, I can turn this into an article.

If this doesn’t apply to the National League as well, we could begin to see the better players chasing the money and playing in non league.

From listening to Gary Neville on the football show on Sky this morning, he seems to think it may be happening in the next few months so it seems it is certainly being proposed and discussed.

If this spread up the ladder to the premier league this would be amazing.
Big clubs will always have the jump on the smaller clubs because of crowd size, history, and I guess location. But it’s a start.

Are we talking a squad salary cap, a la Major League Soccer in USA?
That was how I interpreted it as 2.5M was the figure bandied about for L1 but there was no detail at all to clarify the position. As always the devil will be in the detail including anticipating the fiddles and loop holes that will need to be shut down such as signing on fees, bonuses etc. Sorry The EFL won't be anticipating anything like that and will just wait for it to happen, wring their hands whilst pointing out they haven't got anything in the rules to cover it before sending it off to an independent body to be quietly parked NFA.

Are we talking a squad salary cap, a la Major League Soccer in USA?

I have read somewhere that squads may be limited to 20 Players over the age of 21.

Probably just rumours so could well be that Cap will be for the 20 players and to give teams some wriggle room under 21's are not included.

Hopefully if it happens then it will be for the senior squad above the youth team.

It will certainly weed out the poor managers who can only work on a big budget and should mean the good coaches/man managers come good.

We could see the return of an emergency loans system for significant injuries which makes common sense when you consider how many players we had to stock up on in January 2019 to cover all eventualities for the Championship run in. That would take some policing admittedly as the temptation would be there for unscrupulous clubs to guild the lilly on the number and/or extent of injuries should they feel the urge to tactically jerrymander their squad.

If you need a salary cap, something has gone badly wrong. See also: neoliberal capitalism.

Something has gone wrong since the turn of the year but I do wonder if the pandemic has just been used as an excuse to bring this forward as it's arguably overdue and many an owner of clubs at our level and L2 are rubbing their hands together at the prospect of it

Definitely.. although would it be that simple? Would clubs offer alternatives to cash to get round the cap?

I totally agree with your concerns. How easily could it be to breach the limits?
For every Saracens, how many have got away with it through Luke, or creative accounting?