Salary Cap? | Page 3 | Vital Football

Salary Cap?

They might get a salary cap in League 2 but to be honest I just cannot see it happening in League 1. Are the likes of Sunderland, Ipswich, Portsmouth, Peterborough, Oxford going to vote for it? I very much doubt it. Look at the clubs likely to come down, Hull, Barnsley, Charlton vote for it ? I very much doubt that as well.

They might get a salary cap in League 2 but to be honest I just cannot see it happening in League 1. Are the likes of Sunderland, Ipswich, Portsmouth, Peterborough, Oxford going to vote for it? I very much doubt it. Look at the clubs likely to come down, Hull, Barnsley, Charlton vote for it ? I very much doubt that as well.
Hull are broke

I can't remember if it's been discussed but what could happen if a Team got relegated and had a wage bill well over the cap of that Division?

I think there is some transition process proposed

So not only would Sunderland*, for example, be getting parachute payments they'd be able to spend more than most other Teams? That Sounds a bit unfair.

* probably a example as they'd waste it on rubbish anyway!

So not only would Sunderland*, for example, be getting parachute payments they'd be able to spend more than most other Teams? That Sounds a bit unfair.

* probably a example as they'd waste it on rubbish anyway!
Well I think you have to give a club a chance to adjust their salary structure bearing in mind existing contracts etc.

Very surprisingly only two clubs in L1 indicated they were outright against the proposals with a number either undecided or wanting tweaks. I have to say I was more optimistic after the last meeting. Also, although its even more difficult to agree at the Championship level we could get a salary cap there as well. Simply without it, we are unlikely to get a rescue package.

How would the proposed cap work? Is it based on attendance and income or a flat equal cap?

E.g. Sunderland get 30,000 people on average so are allowed x, we get 10,000 people on average so are allowed x/3?

Or

Everyone gets x. Don’t pay x if you can’t afford it.

Very surprisingly only two clubs in L1 indicated they were outright against the proposals with a number either undecided or wanting tweaks. I have to say I was more optimistic after the last meeting. Also, although its even more difficult to agree at the Championship level we could get a salary cap there as well. Simply without it, we are unlikely to get a rescue package.

That would be great news and certainly level the playing field somewhat in League 1 if it is brought in. However if it is enforced with the same degree of competency that FFP is being administered how effective do you think it will be? It needs to be made as watertight as possible because there are always ways and means around these things that some will exploit to their full advantage.

Do you think that if introduced this likely to be a permanent cap or something in the short term while the full repercussions of the Pandemic are being dealt with?

That would be great news and certainly level the playing field somewhat in League 1 if it is brought in. However if it is enforced with the same degree of competency that FFP is being administered how effective do you think it will be? It needs to be made as watertight as possible because there are always ways and means around these things that some will exploit to their full advantage.

Do you think that if introduced this likely to be a permanent cap or something in the short term while the full repercussions of the Pandemic are being dealt with?
It will be a lot easier to administer than FFP or SCMP but as you suggest its the rules, monitoring and speedy judgments and punishments which will determine just how effective it is.

It was spoken about even before Covid but it probably wouldn't have stood the same chance of being adopted without the consequences of the pandemic. So very much seen as a long term measure.

I bet a couple of the relegated Championship sides will voice concerns.

It's going to be interesting to see how it all pans out and what the criteria will be for it all.