Saddlers v GILLS team is in | Page 2 | Vital Football

Saddlers v GILLS team is in

We were second best today , Walsall deserved the three points. Their left winger and left back were the difference. Fantastic save from Holy to keep it at two goals conceded. Nothing worrying. Like alderman said , a bad day at the office.

Far too early to generalise like that after one home game and two away games.
Thought that might provoke a response - I was referring to Millwall too which I went to - I think some may have got carried away with Hanlan and Charles-Cook after the Burton game, both are good prospects with some good moments so far but to compare them to the likes of Asaba is also too early.

Thought that might provoke a response - I was referring to Millwall too which I went to - I think some may have got carried away with Hanlan and Charles-Cook after the Burton game, both are good prospects with some good moments so far but to compare them to the likes of Asaba is also too early.

I’ve not seen anyone compare them favourably to Asaba.

Do agree though that anyone reading too much into players’ form after three league games and a game against a Championsip reserve side is getting a bit carried away.

Referee allowed/encouraged a physical game and apart from Zak and Garmston, we were second best in that department. I remain convinced that we are definitely better than last season and am still optimistic about the months ahead. Morgan Ferrier (National League player last season) was on fire and very strong for the Saddlers. Garmston had a very good game for us and waspp my MOM. Wilko delivered the cross for our goal and won alot in the air, tbf, he did quite well.

I thought in spells we played ok but with no real end product. The distribution let us down as did our lack of movement off the ball, especially in the last third. They defended well throwing bodies on the line during the last 10 mins. I think if it wasn't for Bryne's intercepted pass and their clinical finish from that we could of gone in on level terms with a shout in the second half.

Well, I didn't think we were very good, especially in the first half. Second half was better but we didn't look like we had any chance of scoring until Wilkinson came on. He had a couple of good chances with headers but unfortunately put them straight at their keeper. Had we got our goal five or ten minutes earlier we might have had a chance to grab an undeserved point but it really was too little too late.

Agree that Garmston and Zak were our best players, and that Holy made a couple of decent saves.

Ehmer and Parker were both poor today. Couldn't understand why Lovell took Hanlan off and not Parker?

It was disappointing after hearing how well we played at Accrington and witnessing how well we played against Burton and Millwall.

One good thing though, they served bitter at the ground. Why don't more clubs?

Anyway, roll on Wednesday. If we can get a good result against Sunderland the confidence will rise again.

Last edited:
I think we had the Saturday Tuesday blues today. In particular I thought that the inexperience of Hanlon and Cook may have cost us. The midfield never got out of second gear and Byrne and Parker were second best in every department. For me O'neil was woeful and just couldn't handle the Walsall left winger. O'neil failed to chase back on so many occasions it was embarrassing. I lost count the number of times he left the pacey Morgan Ferrier (who was signed by walsall from Borehamwood for 35 K) to Max Ehmer.( Luke you have to defend as well as attack). Ferrier turned Ehmer inside and out and drove the ball into the the top corner. Byrne was intercepted which led to the second goal.
Hanlon and cook were very ineffective and it may be the pressure of playing two games per week began to tell.
Garmston for me was easily the MOM. He was superb in both defence and attack and created many crosses at will constantly beating the Walsall right back.
Overall we looked flat in midfield for the first 30 minutes. In hindsight should SL have fielded a weakened team V MIllwall.
I think we will still do ok come the end of the season.

Bit like last season - no end product or plan B when teams cancel out our efforts

Wow Durham. Bit quick with that kind of generalisation.

Plus, last season didn't most fans point out how at long last in Steve Lovell we did have a manager with a plan B and plan C? I'm sure it was often said we had a few different systems, formations and times in games where we changed things up.

Last edited:
As the away side our 19 shots to their 15 with both sides having 6 on target doesn't suggest there was anything wrong with the performance. On the day, their forwards were just more clinical than ours.

No Waldo our midfield was too slow and ponderous and slow to move the ball which we've been doing with Aplomb recently

Kettners, so you don't think 19 shots on goal away from home is a decent return ? We can always be better but had we converted one more of the opportunities we had, we would have got something from the game.

Waldo - I don't always think the stats tell the true story- I think we were second best in too many departments as some of the other posters alluded to. Some of those shots were quite poor efforts. I honestly didn't think we deserved to win the game. This was a completely different performance from our opening two games. That being said it was end to end and entertaining.