• 4 Lacey
  • 10 Wilkinson
  • 12 Fuller
  • 13 Reilly
  • 17 Nasseri
  • 25 Stevenson
  • 30 Hadler
COYG!
for me 9/11 of the team picks itself. Only 7 and 11 are up for grabs.

We have been utter shoite. Toothless up front, careless in midfield, and shaky at the back.

Second half can't get any worse, can it?!

We huffed and puffed but to very litte effect. Walsall saw the game out fairly comfortably. Eaves pulled one back but by that time it was much too late.

Oh well, that was a bit of a damp squib.

I missed the first 25 minutes, by which time we were already one down, and then we let that other one in just before half time.

We didn't give up by any means, but Walsall sat back and held us off fairly easily. By the time Eaves scored it was all over anyway.

I think it was just one of those days at the office - we got beaten by a team who were marginally better on the day. Our passing was a bit wayward and the things that had come off in the other two games just weren't happening.

Walsall looked decent at the back and pacy up front and certainly deserved the win. It was a slightly sub-par performance from Gills today, but it wasn't gutless or hopeless.

Onwards and upwards.

And from listening on Gills World, they seemed to think he looked more lively than most when he came on. Certainly they suggested we looked more ambitious in the final 20 minutes which happened to co-incide with him being on the pitch.

From the sounds of it though, Wilkinson didn't do enough to stop them scoring either of their goals so Waldo should probably knock 2-3 marks off.

Yes Peter Lloyd and Ben Watts were crowing about Wilkinson after he came on, stating that he looked like the sharpest player.
It did sound like the poor start cost us the game. I’ve seen all the goals on Twitter, a misplaced pass from Byrne allowed Walsall to counter attack and score the first, the second goal was very poor all around and an embarrassing effort from O’Neill to try and clear it.
Very good goal from Eaves though - it seems like Hanlan and Charles-Cook are not having the same impact in away games as they did at home.

Wilkinson did all right, I thought. I think his problem is that he's big and gangly, but not physical. He prefers the ball at his feet, but when you see a bloke that size you expect him to be putting it about like Eaves does, which automatically makes him look lazier than he actually is. I think he should get stuck in more, as it happens, but he's not a terrible player and it seems that by now he's already a dog that's got a bad name.

I'll probably get shot down for this, but I reckon McCammon had the same problem. I only saw him play once, early on in his time with us, but I thought he looked very effective, seemingly having telescopic legs. Of course, I can't judge his whole Gillingham career on that, especially given what happened later, and by all acccounts he did get genuinely lazy, but there's something about that type of player that amplifies it.

Yes Peter Lloyd and Ben Watts were crowing about Wilkinson after he came on, stating that he looked like the sharpest player.
It did sound like the poor start cost us the game. I’ve seen all the goals on Twitter, a misplaced pass from Byrne allowed Walsall to counter attack and score the first, the second goal was very poor all around and an embarrassing effort from O’Neill to try and clear it.
Very good goal from Eaves though - it seems like Hanlan and Charles-Cook are not having the same impact in away games as they did at home.

Far too early to generalise like that after one home game and two away games.