Rugby | Page 5 | Vital Football

Rugby

I had mixed feelings about who to play in the final. I'd say we'd have had a better chance against Wales and victory over them would have been even sweeter (as if winning a WC isn't good enough), but a defeat and the milking of victory by the Welsh would have been unbearable.

We are a better team than the Saffers, but they are physically strong and play a dull game - the sort of kicking, physical tight game the Irish and Welsh have had success against us with in recent times in the Six Nations. The Welsh tried to grind out and out muscle the Saffers, which has worked again us previously, but they just about came off second best against SA. Jones will do his homework big time, but I am sure the key will be focusing on our own game and not getting involved in an overly physical battle with the Saffers - not that we haven't got players for that battle, but that is the Saffer's biggest strength, we have other strings to our bow.

My only other fear is that in recent times, we generally have always been one game short of a grand slam in Six Nations we've dominated and thus far we've bang on it every game this World Cup. I hope and pray Saturday isn't that off day.

I had mixed feelings about who to play in the final. I'd say we'd have had a better chance against Wales and victory over them would have been even sweeter (as if winning a WC isn't good enough), but a defeat and the milking of victory by the Welsh would have been unbearable.

We are a better team than the Saffers, but they are physically strong and play a dull game - the sort of kicking, physical tight game the Irish and Welsh have had success against us with in recent times in the Six Nations. The Welsh tried to grind out and out muscle the Saffers, which has worked again us previously, but they just about came off second best against SA. Jones will do his homework big time, but I am sure the key will be focusing on our own game and not getting involved in an overly physical battle with the Saffers - not that we haven't got players for that battle, but that is the Saffer's biggest strength, we have other strings to our bow.

My only other fear is that in recent times, we generally have always been one game short of a grand slam in Six Nations we've dominated and thus far we've bang on it every game this World Cup. I hope and pray Saturday isn't that off day.
Don't worry: Jones will have worked out the tactics for the final as he has done for each match.

Spot on with all of that.

The best thing about last Saturday's match vs NZ was the fact we beat them fairly well when they seemed at the top of their form. We did not beat a struggling side. The way they took Ireland apart just the week before in a great win and had not made a mistake in the whole WC until then. To beat NZ at their best is an amazing achievment.

Lets hope that we do not follow NZ's act, and follow up our great win with a poor performance. Lets hope weve not climaxed too early, or or that we run out of steam and can do the business vs SA. We are favourites, but this is test rugby against finalists who have had a strong WC themselves. Its by no means an easy win. A couple of marginal decisions going either way could change the result.

22-18 to England, if Patchy doesn't open up the Prediction League for this game...