RIP | Page 21 | Vital Football

RIP

'Rat in mi' Kitchen'* being one of my fave UB40 tracks. Second death from the band this year, I think.

RIP Astro.

*I dont actually have a rat in mi kitchen...

Gerald Sinstadt passes away at the grand age of 91.

Up there with Barry Davies as one of my favourite commentators. The quality of broadcasters has really tumbled the past few decades, Sinstadt was a professional who treated sport seriously.

Gerald Sinstadt passes away at the grand age of 91.

Up there with Barry Davies as one of my favourite commentators. The quality of broadcasters has really tumbled the past few decades, Sinstadt was a professional who treated sport seriously.
He was a very good commentator with a distinctive voice. They think it's all over,it is now Wolstenholme is my favrit Raumy. I also used to like David Coleman as a commentator. RIP Gerald UTB

He was a very good commentator with a distinctive voice. They think it's all over,it is now Wolstenholme is my favrit Raumy. I also used to like David Coleman as a commentator. RIP Gerald UTB

I know Coleman showed his lighter side on QofS but they're all from an era when sports broadcasting was serious, the voices had gravitas and both the sport and the audience were treated with respect.

Now it's all about inane unfunny banter between commentator and colour commentator, constant talking and shoehorning in obscure stats.

I know Coleman showed his lighter side on QofS but they're all from an era when sports broadcasting was serious, the voices had gravitas and both the sport and the audience were treated with respect.

Now it's all about inane unfunny banter between commentator and colour commentator, constant talking and shoehorning in obscure stats.
David Coleman also commentated on Athletics and used to get excited especially if a Brit looked like getting a medal or break some record. I think Peter O'Sullivan was brilliant commentating on Horse Racing,when he used to say a horse was making significant progress when the race was entering the final furlong or so you absolutely knew said horse was going to go close to winning the race. UTB

Well, Gerald managed a right old age, so we shouldnt be sad, just grateful he was here in the first place. I agree, we've seen a golden age of sports commentators from Dan Maskell and Richie Benaud, to O'Sullivan, Murray Walker, Ted Lowe, Sid Waddell and in football with the likes of Coleman and Sinstadt, and Barry Davies and even Motson although I know a lot aren't keen on him. They were characterised by a deep understanding and love of their sport which they expressed as they felt they needed to get the scene and the event across to us. Speak when they had something to say, not because they had to say something

I was chatting with FKB Jr about the female commentators who all seem the need to emphasise every syllable, get in as many 'technical words' and talk in screechy voices that get more and more shouty as the action gets more exciting. Rubbish...

RIP Gerald, and thanks for the memories

PS Add Jeff Stelling to that list. We'll never see a better one than Jeff if we all live another 50 years.

PPS I've still not seen Sue Smith and Lee Hendrie is the same room

David Coleman also commentated on Athletics and used to get excited especially if a Brit looked like getting a medal or break some record. I think Peter O'Sullivan was brilliant commentating on Horse Racing,when he used to say a horse was making significant progress when the race was entering the final furlong or so you absolutely knew said horse was going to go close to winning the race. UTB
Coleman classics
"Juantero just opened his legs and showed his class"

Well, Gerald managed a right old age, so we shouldnt be sad, just grateful he was here in the first place. I agree, we've seen a golden age of sports commentators from Dan Maskell and Richie Benaud, to O'Sullivan, Murray Walker, Ted Lowe, Sid Waddell and in football with the likes of Coleman and Sinstadt, and Barry Davies and even Motson although I know a lot aren't keen on him. They were characterised by a deep understanding and love of their sport which they expressed as they felt they needed to get the scene and the event across to us. Speak when they had something to say, not because they had to say something

I was chatting with FKB Jr about the female commentators who all seem the need to emphasise every syllable, get in as many 'technical words' and talk in screechy voices that get more and more shouty as the action gets more exciting. Rubbish...

RIP Gerald, and thanks for the memories

PS Add Jeff Stelling to that list. We'll never see a better one than Jeff if we all live another 50 years.

PPS I've still not seen Sue Smith and Lee Hendrie is the same room

Peter O’Sullivan - an absolute maestro of a very difficult art.

I wish you lot would stop talking about anything in the nineties as a “grand old age”.
I doubt if I’ll ever make it - but I’m getting a bit too close for comfort.:jangel:

Last edited:
Peter O’Sullivan - an absolute maestro of a very difficult art.

I wish you lot would stop talking about anything in the nineties as a “grand old age”.
I doubt if I’ll ever make it - but I’m getting a bit to close for comfort.:jangel:
You’re playing a wonderful innings biggles old boy with the most important stat NOT OUT

rip Gerald the best of itvs commentators

Remember him being in a big drug scandal when he was at Brum. Accused of taking pills called "Purple Hearts". Just the kind of player every club needs, no airs and graces just effectiveness. RIP.

Ray Kennedy ex Arsenal & Liverpool has died aged 70.He was diagnosed with Parkinsons disease in 1984.John Sillett has also died aged 85,he was manager when Coventry won the FA cup v Spurs in 1987.Rip to both fella's. UTB

Ray Kennedy ex Arsenal & Liverpool has died aged 70.He was diagnosed with Parkinsons disease in 1984.John Sillett has also died aged 85,he was manager when Coventry won the FA cup v Spurs in 1987.Rip to both fella's. UTB

Remember John SIllets big day, with that big wide smile, showing teeth that he'd borrowed from a pit pony. RIP. Mixed emotions about Ray. Parkinsons is a long and grubby way to leave the planet. His suffering is over. Rest in peace lad...