RIP Mel Smith | Page 2 | Vital Football

RIP Mel Smith

Classic tv programmes, I forgot how funny they where. Tv sketch comedy in the 80's early 90's were so good. Mel smith was a genius and brings back some fond memories of his work. RIP mel.

Too many so called TV comedians can't light a candle to those who came before them, but sadly TV panders to the new thing they can make commercial.

Give us back the greats. Smith and Jones fall into that category.

And if youngsters thesedays don't get it, they can fucking grow up and realise MTV and Big Brother isn't actually the be all and end all of so called entertainment. Use your noggin and maybe you'll get it.

And he got close to Kim Wilde..... :33:

Just been reading how Mel was brought up in a flat above a chip shop and went onto study at Oxford University.

How come he gets his own thread, and not bundled into the RIP thread?

Sad news though, RIP, one of the greats.

Because ....

Hope that clears things up for you Jim!

(I wanted to put some videos up and he's too good a comedy figure to just lump in to the other thread!)

kefkat - 20/7/2013 17:44

RIP: shocking as 60 is no age. His life style probably didn't help but we see many athletes/joggers etc. also die at young ages too, so I guess when your no on it it's on it.

Thanks for the memories Mel

As usual :3: I totally disagree.

In fact, if I wasn't a polite person :3: I'd go so far as to say what a load of rot!

All about increasing the odds. You treat your body right, your body usually treats you right and you live longer. Yes, there are exceptions, (I was fit as a fiddle when the brain disease started) but mostly heart attacks, diabetes, obesity and all the problems that brings and many other man made diseases (man made as in, no exercise and dire diets) are preventable if you don't eat like a pig and sit like a lazy arse all your born days.

It is nothing at all to do with 'probably didn't help' ... It WON'T have helped, FACT.

Common sense really.

Bert Trautman definitely deserved his own thread if you wanna start making allowances for 'legends.'

The Fear - 21/7/2013 10:04

kefkat - 20/7/2013 17:44

RIP: shocking as 60 is no age. His life style probably didn't help but we see many athletes/joggers etc. also die at young ages too, so I guess when your no on it it's on it.

Thanks for the memories Mel

As usual :3: I totally disagree.

In fact, if I wasn't a polite person :3: I'd go so far as to say what a load of rot!

All about increasing the odds. You treat your body right, your body usually treats you right and you live longer. Yes, there are exceptions, (I was fit as a fiddle when the brain disease started) but mostly heart attacks, diabetes, obesity and all the problems that brings and many other man made diseases (man made as in, no exercise and dire diets) are preventable if you don't eat like a pig and sit like a lazy arse all your born days.

It is nothing at all to do with 'probably didn't help' ... It WON'T have helped, FACT.

Common sense really.

I agree with carol.

Each human being is different, we can all tolerate different things and thrive off different things. We aren't manufactured on production lines, we are each one of us unique.
Look at Shane McGowan, the bloke is immortal! Churchill went on to 90 with a shocking diet and lifestyle. Then you get professional athletes wh drop down dead.

In conclusion, live your life to the fullest, for whatever time you have, treat each day like it could be the last.
Rather have 60 years like mel smith than 90 years living like a Tibetan monk. IMO of course.

James that would mean 30 years less of supporting Villa though !!

Shame about Mel Smith , led a rock 'n roll lifestyle by all accounts and seems like it took it's toll.

I loved NTNN , though some of the sketches are comedy gold. And of course for anyone who was a teenager at that time Pamela Stephenson was essential viewing.

:40:

That isn't the same argument at all Jim.

You make your choices, that is a different argument. Of course you can live life fast and die younger. I'd have preferred that than 21 and game 'over' (for many of the things I loved doing at least) but that would have been a choice.

All I was effectively saying is you live by the sword, you die by the sword. It isn't a grey area, it's pretty much a fact apart from those a) unlucky enough to be fit and still struck down by something (which won't be diet etc related) b) those who do get away with poor diet/smoking/over drinking... (not that many of those, certainly not many of those with a good quality of life/health)

Probably meant JF 'as we will never know' if he had lived a healthy life what age he could have lived too

Its just nice to know when i pop it you will all be on here saying, ''arr man that clive has popped it, what a miss he will be, with all his factual posts and consistent posts, things will never be the same without his positive influence as he never worried or panicked when times were hard for Villa'' cheers lads :7: :139:

kefkat - 21/7/2013 10:36

Probably meant JF 'as we will never know' if he had lived a healthy life what age he could have lived too

no, but you know, you must know, that the odds are greater if you eat right and don't over drink or smoke.

It is a very very simple theory that CAN be contradicted by a few exceptions.

Don't drink, don't smoke, eat right, behave yourself, dont take risks, don't gamble, don't do drugs.

It won't guarantee you will live to be a hundred, but it will bloody well feel like you have!

I stand by when your numbers up its your time, ive seen so many people who didn't drink smoke drugs etc yet pass away, but James is right i suppose at least by feeling good about yourself eating wise and lifestyle wise while you are on this earth it feels as though you will live forever but in my case its so hard to eat well and exercise, i am trying lost a lot ofmy stomach i can now see my feet again when looking down lol

Again sir, not what I'm saying.

And I think you are contradicting your very good self here. You have increased your odds on the arrival of the most beautiful JJ by quitting smoking.

ergo, mea culpa, visa via, mange tout, cushty la.... as blur said, you want to cut down on your pork pies, get yourself some exercise....

*have I really just quoted Park Life to try to win an argument?*

Yeah it's about a getting the right mix, but i definately think a little of what you fancy does you good. Also it's what matters in life to each individual. I'm sick of hearing people tell others how to live, and quotes about health and fitness etc...

Smoking has a noticeable negative affect on you life, as does being heavily overweight. But I'd never knock someone for doing/being these things, it's their choice. It doesn't make them bad people, and shouldnt make them targets for criticism, because they carry these vices. It's their life to with as they please.

Personally, I have a one year old who wants me to run around with him, and kids who will soon want me playing football, cricket, chucking them in the air, riding bikes etc... I have a duty to them to be able to do these things and to do so without having to stop because I'm knackered.