Richard O'Kelly Departs | Page 3 | Vital Football

Richard O'Kelly Departs

I really hope it’s not health related or something controversial. Seems an amicable statement though. Perhaps just a smart move to keep ideas fresh and evolve (with someone coming in or with this new set piece coach)?

To be honest, I'm not especially shocked, as I had seen his role diminishing slightly as each season went on. He was essentially Dean Smith's only assistant at Walsall, then still the strong number two at Brentford. When Terry arrived with them at Villa it was more of a trio than a partnership. The addition of Shakespeare likely pushed him a little further down. It is highly likely that he himself has looked at the situation and said to himself that he lacks the requisite experience at this level and has seen the addition of Shakespeare as the indication that his place is elsewhere. Doesn't necessarily mean there has been a falling-out, just an intelligent realization that his input is less valued and less important.
As the club makes forward strides on the pitch, it's important that the coaching staff also matches it.

As the club makes forward strides on the pitch, it's important that the coaching staff also matches it.

The timing though is what worries me. We're a few days away from the opening game of the season and he's suddenly realized he's not as good? I doubt that tbh.

What is in a similar vein is that maybe Dean wanted him to have a certain role and ROK simply doesnt want or like it. Maybe thats what you're implying.

I dont think there is anything necessarily wrong but I do worry it could be a big loss.

The timing though is what worries me. We're a few days away from the opening game of the season and he's suddenly realized he's not as good? I doubt that tbh.

What is in a similar vein is that maybe Dean wanted him to have a certain role and ROK simply doesnt want or like it. Maybe thats what you're implying.

I dont think there is anything necessarily wrong but I do worry it could be a big loss.
Yes, I think something has spurred him to the decision, be it the impending arrival of another coach, or a request from the club to accept a diminished role. But it could be as simple as him recognizing that the players aren't responding to him as they once did, or that he's not in tune with Smith/Shakespeare etc in the way he'd like to be.
Having been part of many coachings staffs myself, I've seen situations where a member of staff isn't quite in lock-step with everyone else. The players can sense it and will often tune them out, or stop going to them for advice/information. That person then starts to feel like an outsider, starts getting especially quiet in meetings etc. If O'Kelly has seen this type of situation develop he is probably intelligent enough to say his own time is coming to an end....

I read it as a personal decision. Could be health or family related. Could be he's effectively been doing the same job for a number of years and wants something fresh. Could be Villa are moving into big club territory and he wants something smaller and more intimate. Could be anything.

further evidence of cracks appearing beneath the surface.
(i said this after JT left and was laughed at)

The reasons for JT’s departure were explained…he’s looking to be the No 1 and didn’t want to potentially leave the club half way through the season. Quotes from all concerned were positive and very amicable. As for ROK none of us know why he’s left so there’s zero evidence of any ‘cracks’ here either. I can’t remember anyone laughing at you re JT… just disagreeing with you when you automatically drew a negative conclusion…again!