Richard O'Kelly Departs | Page 4 | Vital Football

Richard O'Kelly Departs

We will see my friend. I do think something must have gone on, timing wise, if you were just wanting to retire, you'd do that at the end of a season, not 2 days before a new one. But think the club is on the right path no matter what. Or at least a better path than it has been for years.
agree. Something is happening we aren't party to. I'm also pretty sure unless Smith gets off to a solid start then that position will be being looked at , if it hasn't been already

He is 64. Maybe he feels it's time to go and enjoy his retirement.
I sincerely hope that is the case.

ROK has very much been part of the success story at Villa Park. I'm a little uneasy about this but most importantly hope it's not due to health concerns within his family.

I wish him all the very best and thank him for his contribution over the past 3yrs or so.

Not sure what to make of this, at the start of a season. Only a month ago he was telling Buendia how much he was looking forwards to working with him.
Mind you there were too many coaches, Still got Shaky and Cutler.
Pretty sure there must have been a disagreement along the way for the timing to be now.
Might be nothing might be something we'll find out soon enough

Poor Dean Smith needs to start using different deodorant, his Right hand man goes to play golf, his club Captain and best player fucks off to Man City and now his long term side kick walks out 2 days before the season starts

Let’s be honest O’Kelly was part of the furniture that comes with Smith but I doubt he was viewed by many as a top level coach. Before coming to Villa he’s been knocking around the lower leagues for years.

Now we a buying players for £30m+ You would surely want the best coach money can buy. If you were buying a top of the range car you wouldn’t carry on polishing it with scrubby old rags. No offence to O’Kelly.

Let’s be honest O’Kelly was part of the furniture that comes with Smith but I doubt he was viewed by many as a top level coach. Before coming to Villa he’s been knocking around the lower leagues for years.

Now we a buying players for £30m+ You would surely want the best coach money can buy. If you were buying a top of the range car you wouldn’t carry on polishing it with scrubby old rags. No offence to O’Kelly.
A bit harsh to say he was part of the furniture, but I see your point. And yes, we should be looking to improve everywhere, not just the actual players. I think the situation with O'Kelly is more about the timing than the actual change itself.
One thing about Sir Chewalot at ManUre was he was always changing his staff - Brian Kidd, Quieroz, Mike Phelan all had stints in that "number two" slot....

Now a bit short of numbers on the coaching side, so would be surprised if someone isn't brought in.
We have the normal number of coaches now. Before seemed bloated relative to other clubs. His contract expired apparently and decided to take retirement aged 64 other reports saying offered u-23 coaching role and turned it down. It's looked ever since Shakespeare came in he's been #2. Don't know why people having meltdown or talking conspiracies

Could be a bust up.
Could be he is unwell
Could be someone close is unwell.
Could have another offer
Could have woken up this morning and thought do you know what I don’t want to do this anymore and I have enough money to call it day.

Point is , it could be anything.

However, I won’t argue that it’s piss poor timing . Terry, generic Jack and now ROK . Not an ideal few weeks. We will be fine that’s for sure but I do not think we are in the best of shapes to start a new season.

Could be a bust up.
Could be he is unwell
Could be someone close is unwell.
Could have another offer
Could have woken up this morning and thought do you know what I don’t want to do this anymore and I have enough money to call it day.

Point is , it could be anything.

However, I won’t argue that it’s piss poor timing . Terry, generic Jack and now ROK . Not an ideal few weeks. We will be fine that’s for sure but I do not think we are in the best of shapes to start a new season.

Not Ideal to lose 2 coaches just before the season starts for no apparent reason other than they just decided to quit,
Someone or something has made him quit, he's had his nose pushed out I expect and thought fuck it. Might be Shaky doing his manoeuvring.
Anyway it's not a good thing however we look at it