Rhead and Akinde | Page 5 | Vital Football

Rhead and Akinde

I could forgive Akinde if he would show a bit more willing. I've delayed my judgement on him until now as the majority of people I speak to are telling me he's doing more for the team then I'm noticing. Yesterday was the point when I thought, no, I'm just not having him. What is he doing? Winning headers? No. Chasing lost causes? No. Roughing up defenders? No. Running in behind? No. Creating for others? No. Scoring goals? No.

It feels like the Emperor's new clothes. The hipsters and the 'real' football fans see what he brings to the team and the rest of us don't get it.

To me, Green runs all day long and gives defenders a hard time. Rhead wins headers and gets us up the pitch. What does Akinde do? I want him to be great. I thought he would be great. So far I don't think he's any better than Ollie Palmer.

So what you are actually saying is that Akinde comes on and doesn't move from the centre circle? By the way do you go to away matches? I do think you are being a little unfair, there was one instant yesterday where he ran 25 yards to a lost cause and won us a throw near their corner post. Ref your "not chasing lost causes". Oh and 5 goals and 3 assists. A contribution to 8 goals, I think i will stop there.

Most of us it seems are not yet impressed with Akinde.

Most agree Pett wasn't great back in Jan when he joined.
ALL will agree he is now brilliant.

So...on that basis, and extrapolating forwards, a current less-than-wonderful Akinde should be superb come March onwards and I will predict right now that John will score the goals that clinch us first promotion and then the FL2 title.

Yeah when we signed him I was told he was a good lower league centre forward. I thought that meant he was going to be Aguero, Messi, Ronaldo, Higuain, Hazard, Maradona, Pele and George Best rolled into one, and I am extremely disappointed he has not yet won the league for us, scored the winner in the 2022 World Cup final, solved Brexit, baked me the perfect souffle, painted sunflowers, beaten Usain Bolt at 100m and saved a child and their kitten from a burning tower block.

Yeah when we signed him I was told he was a good lower league centre forward. I thought that meant he was going to be Aguero, Messi, Ronaldo, Higuain, Hazard, Maradona, Pele and George Best rolled into one, and I am extremely disappointed he has not yet won the league for us, scored the winner in the 2022 World Cup final, solved Brexit, baked me the perfect souffle, painted sunflowers, beaten Usain Bolt at 100m and saved a child and their kitten from a burning tower block.

Record signing - must at least be as good as Harry Kane, with a better souffle.

For those who think he lazy and offers less than Rheady, I give you 6 - 6.20 on the iFollow extended highlights of yesterday's match, QED.

As for those who question what Akinde can do and he brings to the team, open your bloody eyes and realise that he brings the best qualities of Rhead and Green in one player rather than two. He’s a proper presence up front and is still making good runs that his teammates are not completely in tune with. Keep the faith. He’ll come good.
I truly hope he does come good. A guy can't score the amount of goals he has and not be a good player, and I look forward to seeing it materialise.
But, he is definitely not a combination of the best qualities of Green and Rhead. Both are better than him in the air. I believe both have a better touch. Rhead is most definitely the better target man (Yes, I know that isn't his game!). Green is the more mobile of the 3. Big John most likely does have a bit of everything, but he isn't as good as the other two at their best qualities.
For me, Green is the better all rounder of the 3.

Brning6.jpg

So what you are actually saying is that Akinde comes on and doesn't move from the centre circle? By the way do you go to away matches? I do think you are being a little unfair, there was one instant yesterday where he ran 25 yards to a lost cause and won us a throw near their corner post. Ref your "not chasing lost causes". Oh and 5 goals and 3 assists. A contribution to 8 goals, I think i will stop there.

Pretty sure I didn't say that! Also, penalties account for nearly all of his goals. My concern isn't that Akinde is hopeless, far from it, more that we aren't getting the best out of him. People say he doesn't chase lost causes, it's not his game. It's league two, you're going to have chase a lot of less than perfect passes. Cricket fans will remember Kevin Pietersen getting out in irresponsible ways and simply saying that's the way I play. In a team game you have to pay the way team needs you to, often for us that means a lone striker challenging for headers, chasing long balls and occupying defenders. Akinde seems reluctant to do that at times.

As for Rhead being better, I didn't say that either, I said you know what you'll get from Rhead and can play accordingly, now that is often very limiting and we certainly needed to evolve away from that to have continued success. Akinde has everything in his game to be the ideal lower league striker, I'm just not convinced we're getting the best of him, not that he's giving nothing.

Akinde has the best all round ability of all our forwards. And I am personally a fan.

However, based on recent performances McCartan and Rhead are a better partnership within this side, and should be starting as it stands.

Akinde will still contribute plenty I feel though.

Don't know about anyone else, but I'm bored of the Rhead/Akinde comparison. They're completely different strikers..

I am too Luke, but people have their favourites.

Just a couple of weeks ago I would have said that Rhead's days as a starter are finished (I said that a couple of times) but he did really well in the last three matches. To get anything out of him though we need players buzzing around him. That was never going to be possible after 20 minutes on Saturday.

Akinde's form is totally in and out and has become frustrating, even to a supporter of his like me. But....

I watched a little bit of the Chelsea/Man U game till I got bored with it and the more erudite Nevile brother made the point that Morata's morose performances for Chelsea could be put down to the fact that Chelsea rarely cross the ball.

As many of us have said, if you don't play to the Akinde's strengths he will not look even half the player. Whether it's down to that, the player himself, or a bit from column A and a little from column B, I couldn't say.

Nevertheless we are the second highest scorers in the League so I really don't care who actually does the scoring. We have more goals than Exeter and Stockley already has 9.

I’m a bit on the fence with Akinde but actually felt he did what he was brought on to do on Saturday. I think with Rhead on we’d have struggle to retain possession with hoofs to the big man (not Rhead’s fault obviously and he played well before going off). As it was, when John came on we closed ranks and looked far more comfortable on the ball, reducing them to shots from a distance, we also had several opportunities to win the game.

Not sure Akinde is as effective in front of goal as I’d hoped but he’s certainly a valuable part of the team and it’s very much a team we’ve built as opposed to reliance on one man.

I am all for debate but this is just ridiculous. Anyone who is disappointed at our start clearly has not been a supporter that long.

They are totally different players, and whilst I appreciate Rhead, and what he has done, his behaviour on the football pitch is, at times, awful. I am glad he appears to have stopped doing that silly thing when we have a free kick, but lets be realistic, If we wanted to evolve as a team we had to have more than him - and more to our play than diagonal balls, Exeter played through us in the pay offs and were able to do that as there was no press etc. Hes played a hand full of games and will do more for the team as the season unfolds ..

Anyone who cannot understand why he replaced Rhead needs to watch more football, the closest we came to scoring a winner was when Akinde ran more than Rhead has ran this season, and crossed for Shay, who couldn't quite reach what would have been a tap in.