Rhead and Akinde | Page 3 | Vital Football

Rhead and Akinde

The loan was with a view to a permanent. Let's hope that was a formal arrangement.
When he came, he sounded pleased to be here rather than Bradford. Obviously has a contract with Bradford, but can’t imagine that view, will have been other than strengthen,since then. Players usually get what they want, one way or another.

Spot on Shay has grabbed the opportunity to revive his career and is too good for this level I’d suggest
Looking at Bradford’s decline is a worry tho as the recall option in January might be exercised
Uti

I was thinking something similar last night. Bradford City also have a different manager now which might put us back into a Tony Woodcock scenario (to echo the ghosts of '76). On the other hand, they do have some major financial restrictions.

Anyway, he looks a far better player than League 2.

When he came, he sounded pleased to be here rather than Bradford. Obviously has a contract with Bradford, but can’t imagine that view, will have been other than strengthen,since then. Players usually get what they want, one way or another.

Yeah he didn't have much good to say.

“I had a difficult time at Bradford last season, I just didn’t enjoy it. I want to get my confidence back and score a few goals."

Well that's certainly happening with the mighty Imps!

They're in a bit of turmoil at the moment at Bradford. The current manager hasn't seen Shay play so he's hopefully off the radar, good for us. The previous manager was the under 19s coach who didn't want the job but was told to take it or he'd be leaving. He took it and lasted 6 games. Hoping for an away day there next season but the way it's going we'll be swapping divisions.

They're in a bit of turmoil at the moment at Bradford. The current manager hasn't seen Shay play so he's hopefully off the radar, good for us. The previous manager was the under 19s coach who didn't want the job but was told to take it or he'd be leaving. He took it and lasted 6 games. Hoping for an away day there next season but the way it's going we'll be swapping divisions.
It would be good to spend a season or two in league one with them - it would be quite fitting.

Provided we keep Shay of course....

Hard to judge from the radio yesterday, but it did seem very early to take Rhead off, shortly after we went down to ten men. His confidence must have been sky high after scoring, and you might have thought we would continue with him at least until half time.

Not much mention of Akinde after he came on, just didn't sound to be hugely involved. I guess that being down to ten men probably would not suit his game anyway, particularly if we were settling for a point.

It isn't working for Akinde at the moment, and to be honest he isn't the player i was expecting. He's shown glimpses of the power and pace, running at defenders type player i thought he was but it's few and far between. I think he did it once yesterday, and it looked good....he needs to do it more. He never seems to have much space in front of him, maybe at Barnet the opposition attacked them a bit more and he was able to take advantage of the high defensive lines? He's not going to get that luxory here.

At the moment Rhead is the first choice cf for me.

Rhead and Akinde. As they say on the Aldi advert - I like this one and I also like this one. Both target men but both also have different assets. Akinde made the best of a thankless task yesterday. Chasing scraps outnumbered four to one at times and no Lincoln player within 20 yards of him apart from when Green came on and they were both going for the same headers. That they got in each others way was just unfortunate as I would imagine the pairing in those circumstances hadn't been rehearsed on the training ground but I would bet it will be on the DC list now.

Akinde has shown glimpses - he was electric at Exeter, pretty good v MK Dons, and central to the dominant first half at Tranmere.

But for whatever reason - fitness, confidence, playing method - its been fits and starts, I'm sure the Cowleys will be working with him.

Yesterday was difficult, coming back from injury and playing an hour as lone striker when a man down when the plan was probably 30 minutes then a start either Tuesday or next Saturday.

And Rheady is doing what he's done before, he wasn't good early part of the season and a few of us thought (again) he was in decline; then he stopped the panto act and is back to his best. I'd still prefer a fit Akinde as starter, but in the last couple of weeks Rheady's made me comfortable again with seeing him in the starting line-up.

Two different options, if they can each hit their best a terrifying prospect.

DC got it right removing the big un yesterday, as he said more mobility was needed with 10. Personally I'd have put Green on if we wanted constant chasing of lost causes.
Seems to me that there aren't many things that "are Akindes game". Each week someone says it! I really hope he comes good, but IMO yesterday added to the argument that it might not happen for him. Still looks disinterested at times and for such a big unit he is dreadful in the air, whether it's his game or not.
A mate of mine says someone told him he didn't want to sign for us and move. Don't see it myself, surely he could have got a club nearer home.

Akinde has shown glimpses - he was electric at Exeter, pretty good v MK Dons, and central to the dominant first half at Tranmere.

But for whatever reason - fitness, confidence, playing method - its been fits and starts, I'm sure the Cowleys will be working with him.

Yesterday was difficult, coming back from injury and playing an hour as lone striker when a man down when the plan was probably 30 minutes then a start either Tuesday or next Saturday.

And Rheady is doing what he's done before, he wasn't good early part of the season and a few of us thought (again) he was in decline; then he stopped the panto act and is back to his best. I'd still prefer a fit Akinde as starter, but in the last couple of weeks Rheady's made me comfortable again with seeing him in the starting line-up.

What stands out about your first paragraph is those are 3 of the better teams we have played. I'm not sure what that tells us, but it does slightly reinforce my theory that better teams may defend less deeply and give him the space he needs to do his stuff.

I get the whole Akinde is doing a job that is set up by the management team. But, I'm just not that impressed by him so far.

I've kept my counsel on this one after TomPettGate, but even allowing for the role he is being asked to play, he looks no more effective than either Rhead or Green and i expected him to be better than them.

Far too isolated for me as hulloutpost has said, his team mates need to be in and around him much quicker, same thing happens when rheady is the lone striker.
Had a couple of runs but outnumbered and fighting for scraps most of the time he was on.
Similar to green last season one goal and probably get loads, so quick to write players off, the joys of social media I guess!

I think the really encouraging thing in the recent games that Rhead has started is that we haven't resorted to constantly banging long balls up to him as pretty much our only attacking tactic (as was often the case last season). We're still looking to play football, and Rhead is more than capable of doing that. Even in his 30 minutes or so yesterday, he showed some great touches in link-up play, and of course his header for the goal was absolutely top drawer. Deserves a start on Tuesday.

As for Akinde, I mentioned on another thread that he seems to be going through a similar spell to Matt Green last season, i.e. confidence a bit low and maybe also suffering from us not having a completely settled front-line? I honestly think he'll come good, and at least we have some cracking options in the squad should he need a spell out of the first XI.

I could forgive Akinde if he would show a bit more willing. I've delayed my judgement on him until now as the majority of people I speak to are telling me he's doing more for the team then I'm noticing. Yesterday was the point when I thought, no, I'm just not having him. What is he doing? Winning headers? No. Chasing lost causes? No. Roughing up defenders? No. Running in behind? No. Creating for others? No. Scoring goals? No.

It feels like the Emperor's new clothes. The hipsters and the 'real' football fans see what he brings to the team and the rest of us don't get it.

To me, Green runs all day long and gives defenders a hard time. Rhead wins headers and gets us up the pitch. What does Akinde do? I want him to be great. I thought he would be great. So far I don't think he's any better than Ollie Palmer.

I could forgive Akinde if he would show a bit more willing. I've delayed my judgement on him until now as the majority of people I speak to are telling me he's doing more for the team then I'm noticing. Yesterday was the point when I thought, no, I'm just not having him. What is he doing? Winning headers? No. Chasing lost causes? No. Roughing up defenders? No. Running in behind? No. Creating for others? No. Scoring goals? No.

It feels like the Emperor's new clothes. The hipsters and the 'real' football fans see what he brings to the team and the rest of us don't get it.

To me, Green runs all day long and gives defenders a hard time. Rhead wins headers and gets us up the pitch. What does Akinde do? I want him to be great. I thought he would be great. So far I don't think he's any better than Ollie Palmer.

Except Palmer has a hatful of goals to his name this season.