Rhead and Akinde | Page 2 | Vital Football

Rhead and Akinde

They're both terrific options. I would still start Akinde when fit as I think he offers a little more but Rhead has been magnificent for Lincoln.

Dare I say Akinde would have received a bit more stick if he'd have missed the chance Rhead put wide in the first 5 minutes.

Indeed, it was a sitter. At the time, I thought how Akinde would have been lambasted for missing that ( not necessarily on this platform) .especially as Rheady's heading ability is so much better than his, allegedly.

No Vale were just terrible at dealing with them. They were decent corners, unfortunately better teams would deal better with them. Without our 4 corner goals, it would have been 2-2. Now that's scary.

What match were watching?

That was the most comfortable victory I have seen in a long while

If we had scored 10 there would have been little complaint

These corners may have been good. I can't be certain until they face some good defending.

I do understand your point re corners but you don't get lucky 4 times in 1 match. The quality of the ball in for the goals at least was excellent (vs the overhits / underhits we've seen a fair bit of so far). Definitely a step up in quality (or consistency at least) from us.

What match were watching?

That was the most comfortable victory I have seen in a long while

If we had scored 10 there would have been little complaint
I do understand your point re corners but you don't get lucky 4 times in 1 match. The quality of the ball in for the goals at least was excellent (vs the overhits / underhits we've seen a fair bit of so far). Definitely a step up in quality (or consistency at least) from us.
I agree with both of you. We would have won it comfortably still as we would have upped our game and kept at a high tempo rather than played with them.

And yes it was a step up in quality. But a team under better direction would have only let us pull the same routine once, twice tops.

I agree with both of you. We would have won it comfortably still as we would have upped our game and kept at a high tempo rather than played with them.

And yes it was a step up in quality. But a team under better direction would have only let us pull the same routine once, twice tops.

What pleased me most is our play didn’t just look premier league but vale made us look international level - eardley bostwick pett were outstanding

No Vale were just terrible at dealing with them. They were decent corners, unfortunately better teams would deal better with them. Without our 4 corner goals, it would have been 2-2. Now that's scary.

You have to give some credit to Danny's/Nicky's tactical awareness.

I'm sure they will have been well aware of their weakness at set-pieces.

Whether or not they should have been dealt with, is a moot point. The fact is they were delivered much more accurately than against Crewe, when several ended up outside the box altogether, so they exploited the weakness.

I suppose you could also say, if we'd not given away needless fouls, it would have been 2-0. It's all ifs, buts and maybes.

I don't recall him getting any stick (on here at least) for missing an even bigger sitter at Cheltenham

Selective reading, there were a few critics.

Akinde for me is the starter, his strength and mobility gives him an advantage over Rheady.

That being said, today for the first time we played they way we've been developing this season around Rheady (didn't see anything of Scunny, I'll stand to be corrected on that if it was similar), and didn't turn out too bad, did it? Though a worse defence than Vale today is hard to imagine in this league.

Again it shows we have options and all players increasingly on method. Again our '9' didn't score but that's not a Cowley priority. We scored 6, all different players including the ever reliable Og. The lead striker brings others into play, sacrifices his own scoring instincts for the greater good.

Rheady now has that in his DNA - the '10' of the NL season saw to that. The goals have been spread around in all 3 seasons, Akinde playing his part in that this year, some delightful assists. The 'fox in the box' is never going to suit the Cowley method.

All is secondary to the team, that is the way of the Cowley.

You have to give some credit to Danny's/Nicky's tactical awareness.

I'm sure they will have been well aware of their weakness at set-pieces.

Whether or not they should have been dealt with, is a moot point. The fact is they were delivered much more accurately than against Crewe, when several ended up outside the box altogether, so they exploited the weakness.

I suppose you could also say, if we'd not given away needless fouls, it would have been 2-0. It's all ifs, buts and maybes.
Yep and if we didn’t have Captain Bellend reffing we’d have had 3 pens - score 2 of 3 and we still win easily. What total negative piffle

I think Rheaddy should be applauded for his attitude. A lot of other players would have spat their dummies out before now with the lack of match time he has had this season. But whenever called upon he has rolled his sleeves up and done a great job for the team. However if Akinde is fit I think he will be first choice due to the fact he is more mobile than Matt and is more suited to the way we are currently playing this season. But isn't it great to have the two of them at the Club we are indeed the envy of the rest of the division.

Rhead should, in theory, appear better this season and be more comfortable in this team.

By that, I mean this season he has Anderson, Andrade, McCartan, Pett and Freck around him. Willing runners who's natural instinct it to get forward and support.

Last season he had Green, Anderson and that was about it. Woodyard and Bostwick generally held their positions, we didn't really get the wide areas right and Knott didn't perform.

He'll be equally as good in this type of system as he was in the previous two seasons in more of a 'warrior' type of team. Sign of a good player.

Rhead actually allows more players to get advanced because of the nature, quality and consistency of his hold up play plus the fact that he tends to play deeper and not on the shoulder of the last man.

It's a different dynamic / approach compared to Akinde.

I think Rheaddy should be applauded for his attitude. A lot of other players would have spat their dummies out before now with the lack of match time he has had this season. But whenever called upon he has rolled his sleeves up and done a great job for the team. However if Akinde is fit I think he will be first choice due to the fact he is more mobile than Matt and is more suited to the way we are currently playing this season. But isn't it great to have the two of them at the Club we are indeed the envy of the rest of the division.
Equally applies about Greeny!

and apparently if Vale had borrowed Real Madrid's defence for the day then without our six goals we should have lost 2-0

So long as we've got McCartan firing I'm not too fussed which big man plays in front of him ......... Shay along with Tom Pett are two of the best footballers I've seen at SB in literally decades.

Spot on Shay has grabbed the opportunity to revive his career and is too good for this level I’d suggest
Looking at Bradford’s decline is a worry tho as the recall option in January might be exercised
Uti