Retirement | Page 2 | Vital Football

Retirement

Pesky immigrants hey :grinning:
Erm..pesky legal immigrants who have visas approved and documents checked.

If I didn't have a valid visa or the correct documents I would either be sent home at my own cost or put in jail.

Good policy hey?

Last edited:
I would love to go Singapore but it's just way too expensive for me personally.

Central Bangkok is stupid expensive. Same as UK if not more. Only cheaper when you venture out about 30-45 minutes from centre.

I would love to go Japan but a friend of mine said they are less accepting of people. Frown on single men. Frown upon casual wear etc. That's was his view anyway.

I would love to go Singapore but it's just way too expensive for me personally.

Central Bangkok is stupid expensive. Same as UK if not more. Only cheaper when you venture out about 30-45 minutes from centre.

I would love to go Japan but a friend of mine said they are less accepting of people. Frown on single men. Frown upon casual wear etc. That's was his view anyway.
Based on the videos I've watched I think Japanese women love foreigners.

From what I know (just from my experience) a western man getting with a good looking Chinese/Japanese woman is like winning the lottery.

The attractive Chinese/Japanese from my experience stay with their own.

Only from my experiences though. I do know of western men with Chinese and Japanese women but they are definitely not my type of woman.

Thai/Cambodia/Vietnam/Malaysia women seem to love foreign men. But I think that's more to do with the myth that all western men are rich. They all still believe this. Where chinese and Japanese women know its bullshit so only go for genuine love. How rare is genuine love?

I've heard that dating is very difficult in Japan for western men. I don't know if that was just one guy's experience or generally true.

I had a friend who had lived in Korea and he reckoned dating was difficult there because of the language barrier. He had a funny story about trying to dump a Korean lady and her not understanding what he was saying.

I could see the Missus and I moving back to Ireland although I don't know which healthcare system will be worse to deal with. However I've a good 30-40 years to go so who knows what might change in that timeframe.

I brought herself to Connemara before COVID and she thought she was in a different world. I could her wanting to settle down there. Both of us are not really sun people so she'd probably love the grey skys and constant rain.

I've often dreamed of Tuscany though, Italy is a place I really love but I'd probably want to think about learning the language if I ever get serious about it being a plan. Also everytime I see videos of it Tanzania looks absolutely stunning although I think that would only be for the odd trip.

On the 22 Feb I will have one more year before I can retire, I know it will go quickly but the twat in government who decided it men can work until 68+ year sits behind a fucking desk on a 4 day week.
I am looking forward to retiring, I will have enough money to enjoy life and possible a new car but do I deserve it after 50 consecutive years working, no sick time to speak of (thank god) but the old back and a constant pain in my side when exerted leaves me wishing my life away. I am looking forward to not having a 6 o'clock alarm, explaining the same thing to the same people over and over again.
In reality I'm tired and need the break to re-set my life before enjoying whats left.
At 66 how many good years with good health can I expect....

If you can get out early do it, you only get one life, this is NOT a dry run for another life ahead of you.

On the 22 Feb I will have one more year before I can retire, I know it will go quickly but the twat in government who decided it men can work until 68+ year sits behind a fucking desk on a 4 day week.
I am looking forward to retiring, I will have enough money to enjoy life and possible a new car but do I deserve it after 50 consecutive years working, no sick time to speak of (thank god) but the old back and a constant pain in my side when exerted leaves me wishing my life away. I am looking forward to not having a 6 o'clock alarm, explaining the same thing to the same people over and over again.
In reality I'm tired and need the break to re-set my life before enjoying whats left.
At 66 how many good years with good health can I expect....

If you can get out early do it, you only get one life, this is NOT a dry run for another life ahead of you.

Gotta have something to do though, Col. Some people are good at that, filling in the time. As I discovered during Covid, I'm not. Not having a reason to get up in the morning is very bad for me.

I could see the Missus and I moving back to Ireland although I don't know which healthcare system will be worse to deal with. However I've a good 30-40 years to go so who knows what might change in that timeframe.

I brought herself to Connemara before COVID and she thought she was in a different world. I could her wanting to settle down there. Both of us are not really sun people so she'd probably love the grey skys and constant rain.

I've often dreamed of Tuscany though, Italy is a place I really love but I'd probably want to think about learning the language if I ever get serious about it being a plan. Also everytime I see videos of it Tanzania looks absolutely stunning although I think that would only be for the odd trip.

Are you from Connemara or there abouts?

I've been there a few times. It's spectacular in the summer but it rained for the whole day every second day. I couldn't handle the darkness in the winter.

If our lives had turned out differently we would have move abroad. Kefelonia ofcourse.

I get to spend extended time there so that does. Brexit would have meant applying for permanent residency which we would have done.

Health wise I need to be in The U.K now. 3 of mine have moved abroad. Don't blame them one bit

Eldest is still here and our DiL with their children. They won't move abroad. DiL is too much of a home body. They live in the village DiL grew up in.

They are very comfortably off and eldest is a high earner. He will be heading into the over £150k bracket in the next few years.

Other 3 live in Canada, Thailand and New Zealand. Plenty of inexpensive holidays as flight only which I can get for around £500 return

Not exactely retirement. However how it is for me

Last edited:
The dream, partially retire at 55 to Tuscany to live/'work' on a small vineyard.

The reality, working till I'm 70 until my mortgage is paid up, then die aged 70 and 3 days before withdrawing any pension.

You could always kick the bucket with about 5 minutes to go of your last day of work.