Retirement | Vital Football

Retirement

chicovilla

Vital Squad Member
I've had so many ideas of what I would do and when i could retire. My original dream was to retire partially at 55 and take my pension and move to Spain and work/live there as my goal. No longer as simple thanks to Brexit etc. The opportunity to live and work in 28 countries has gone.
where and when do you all plan on retiring? As much as I love my UK heritage I would much prefer a life the sun.

I retired a couple of years ago and am know living in Indonesia as quite a few on here know chico.

I didn't have much of a PPP but living out here is very cost effective in many ways. Having an Indonesia wife helps, but I'm loving it. There's things I miss about the UK....... football, rugby, beer, bacon etc but I certainly don't miss the cold weather.

I'd recommend SE Asia anytime.

I retired a couple of years ago and am know living in Indonesia as quite a few on here know chico.

I didn't have much of a PPP but living out here is very cost effective in many ways. Having an Indonesia wife helps, but I'm loving it. There's things I miss about the UK....... football, rugby, beer, bacon etc but I certainly don't miss the cold weather.

I'd recommend SE Asia anytime.
Can you not get good beer in Indonesia?

Same really. I'm well off retirement but Thailand is the best country I have ever been to. The people from south east Asian countries are adorable. Very nice people.

I miss cheese though. Can get it here but it's not very nice and very expensive. Also chocolate only comes in small tiny bars. Piss right off. If it's the weekend I want a 500g bar to stuff myself with.

Can you not get good beer in Indonesia?

Same really. I'm well off retirement but Thailand is the best country I have ever been to. The people from south east Asian countries are adorable. Very nice people.

I miss cheese though. Can get it here but it's not very nice and very expensive. Also chocolate only comes in small tiny bars. Piss right off. If it's the weekend I want a 500g bar to stuff myself with.

Hi Col,

I've never been to Thailand...yet, but yes, agree re the the people in SE Asia, very friendly.

Regarding beer, it depends on what you call beer really. I love my 'real ale' - can't get that, but bottled beers/lager types yeah fine when you know where to go. The likes of Bintang, Kudah Puti (white horse), Anker, there's a selection, but because Indonesia is a muslim country, you can't buy them at say, a supermarket, you have to buy them at a bar..... beer here is cheaper than in the UK.

Cheese... and butter, yes we can get, but as you say, relatively expensive but compared to British prices, not so expensive really.

Chocolate, yeah, you can get Cadburys and a local one called Silver Queen, that's not bad. Peanut butter and even the cornflakes we get here are from Thailand.

Ideally I won't be doing serious work after the age of 50, the rest of my working life will be freelancing or whatever else I determine will drive a decent enough income with minimal effort. I doubt this will happen though. I can certainly concur with getting the hell out of this country though, miserable place with shit weather.

Hi Col,

I've never been to Thailand...yet, but yes, agree re the the people in SE Asia, very friendly.

Regarding beer, it depends on what you call beer really. I love my 'real ale' - can't get that, but bottled beers/lager types yeah fine when you know where to go. The likes of Bintang, Kudah Puti (white horse), Anker, there's a selection, but because Indonesia is a muslim country, you can't buy them at say, a supermarket, you have to buy them at a bar..... beer here is cheaper than in the UK.

Cheese... and butter, yes we can get, but as you say, relatively expensive but compared to British prices, not so expensive really.

Chocolate, yeah, you can get Cadburys and a local one called Silver Queen, that's not bad. Peanut butter and even the cornflakes we get here are from Thailand.

Between the 3 of us, I think we have got them surrounded.

Ideally I won't be doing serious work after the age of 50, the rest of my working life will be freelancing or whatever else I determine will drive a decent enough income with minimal effort. I doubt this will happen though. I can certainly concur with getting the hell out of this country though, miserable place with shit weather.
Do it mate. Life is so much better here.

I had an interview this week at a private school. Have to go back in a week to do a demo lesson. But if I get this job, I will come back UK to get my certificates and important belongings and then that is it. I never never never want to step back on England soil ever again. I hate the place and everything about it with a passion.

So to answer the thread question.... Thailand for me all day long. I see the rest of my life being here. I have no kids. So when I die they can just plonk me in the sea. Lol

Do it mate. Life is so much better here.

I had an interview this week at a private school. Have to go back in a week to do a demo lesson. But if I get this job, I will come back UK to get my certificates and important belongings and then that is it. I never never never want to step back on England soil ever again. I hate the place and everything about it with a passion.

So to answer the thread question.... Thailand for me all day long. I see the rest of my life being here. I have no kids. So when I die they can just plonk me in the sea. Lol
I do increasingly 'hate' this country it has to be said. A miserable fucking place with rotten services and rotten people.

I do increasingly 'hate' this country it has to be said. A miserable fucking place with rotten services and rotten people.
The train and the sky train service here in Bangkok puts England to shame. The best public transport service I have ever seen.

And in some restaurants your waiter is a robot.

Middle of Bangkok is very advanced.

A different experience when you venture out of the centre though obviously.

The rural areas are just like being in the 80's. Reminds me of my childhood. Which is when I was happiest.

So doesn't matter where I am here, I am happy. In UK I am a very unhappy and sad man.

I'll be honest, if I could afford it, I'd live in Singapore, but I can't so I won't. Singapore is so modern, clean and beautiful. You even buy draught London Pride there!, and it's also so green. You mention the train services Col, well Singapores' is brilliant too. They run automatically - no drivers - and they run to time and soooo very clean.

All the shopping malls are air conditioned as all the vast majority of the subways, That's why you hardly see anyone on the streets in the main centres, they're all underground in the air conditioning.

I lived abroad for 6 years earlier in life and i found the little things got me and i did miss the UK. But its gone really downhill these last few years and when i retire i would seriously consider living at least half the year away from here. I did always think Spain but my last couple of trips there have left me a bit in doubt, another country that is gong down the pan fast. Far East might be the answer

I'll be honest, if I could afford it, I'd live in Singapore, but I can't so I won't. Singapore is so modern, clean and beautiful. You even buy draught London Pride there!, and it's also so green. You mention the train services Col, well Singapores' is brilliant too. They run automatically - no drivers - and they run to time and soooo very clean.

All the shopping malls are air conditioned as all the vast majority of the subways, That's why you hardly see anyone on the streets in the main centres, they're all underground in the air conditioning.
Singapore is one of the best places i've visited of late for all the reasons you mention plus the cuisine and it rains like the UK but is warm, the only downside for me was too may Chinese who i can only take in small doses, not sure i could live there 365

Singapore is one of the best places i've visited of late for all the reasons you mention plus the cuisine and it rains like the UK but is warm, the only downside for me was too may Chinese who i can only take in small doses, not sure i could live there 365

Ah, you want to go to Little India then. You'll think you're in Handsworth...Lol Seriously though Silhill, the Chinese you mention again seem to congregate in the Chinese Quarter mainly... (would you believe).

Have you been to Universal Studios there?

Pesky immigrants hey :grinning:

Ah, you want to go to Little India then. You'll think you're in Handsworth...Lol Seriously though Silhill, the Chinese you mention again seem to congregate in the Chinese Quarter mainly... (would you believe).

Have you been to Universal Studios there?
yeah i was staying in Clarke Quay so pretty near China Town . But most shopping malls (Raffles Mall, Marina Bay Mall) they were all rammed with very wealthy Chinese buying everything under the sun.

I had mostly retired, after selling Vital. The idea was to get amongst the trees and woods, relax, do my gym etc. But my brain aches kicked up, so none of that was possible, I then found I had too much time on my hands - if you can't go out, it isn't easy to fill the time! Luckily (or not luck, more the fact I'm actually quite good, contrary to appearances!) I was offered a role running a department (I was staying to run the forums on Vital anyway) for the company who bought Snack. It fills my time, it has brought me a good amount of pride (results pleased the company also, as the department was 67% up on the previous year!) so now the plan is to do this, relax, got a lovely place, watch tv... don't hanker after what I can't do, appreciate what I can.

I had mostly retired, after selling Vital. The idea was to get amongst the trees and woods, relax, do my gym etc. But my brain aches kicked up, so none of that was possible, I then found I had too much time on my hands - if you can't go out, it isn't easy to fill the time! Luckily (or not luck, more the fact I'm actually quite good, contrary to appearances!) I was offered a role running a department (I was staying to run the forums on Vital anyway) for the company who bought Snack. It fills my time, it has brought me a good amount of pride (results pleased the company also, as the department was 67% up on the previous year!) so now the plan is to do this, relax, got a lovely place, watch tv... don't hanker after what I can't do, appreciate what I can.
so you haven't retired yet then . I think whatever happens keeping busy is the key and if working fills the time and you enjoy it and it doesn't impair your health then why stop ? We've all heard tails of people who work their nuts off to 65 (or thereabouts), retire , stop the routine and are dead within 24 months.

we own it (or possibly used to)

Yeah, we used to own it until the Japs invaded during WW2. Then, with the Japs kicked out, Singapore decided they wanted to run it themselves and have independence. Got to say, they've made a damn good job of it.... and still are, with little space they have to play with.

Yeah, we used to own it until the Japs invaded during WW2. Then, with the Japs kicked out, Singapore decided they wanted to run it themselves and have independence. Got to say, they've made a damn good job of it.... and still are, with little space they have to play with.
love the architecture and hanging gardens everywhere , definitely going back there soon (once i've saved a few bob up ;))