Michael O'Connor (2019) DM

Forwards (3):
Bruno Andrade (2020)
Matt Rhead (2019)
Matt Green (2019)

Total: 17
Under contract: 16
Contracts pending: 1

There is no wastage at all there, with the exception of Walton who I expect to leave. It looks a fantastic core on which to build. I also expect Chapman to feature, probably in Checkatrade games to begin with. No passengers, no one in Nepal, no one rotting in hotels in Rochdale, no one permanently out on loan, no one moaning about not getting enough game time. Looking so much more solid, even with four or five still to come.

Whilst of course "in Danny we trust" let's just say not ideal to be jetting for a pre-season training camp with half a squad, so either a rush of signings due or an opportunity missed

Update following the signing of John Akinde:

The current squad is (contract date):

Goalkeepers (3):
Grant Smith (2020)
Josh Vickers (2019)
Richard Walton (contract offered)

Defenders (5):
Neal Eardley (2020)
Harry Toffolo (2020)
James Wilson (2020)
Sam Habergham (2019)
Luke Waterfall (2019)

Midfielders (6):
Harry Anderson (2020) Winger
Michael Bostwick (2020) DM
Ellis Chapman (2020) AM
Lee Frecklington (2020) AM
Tom Pett (2020) Winger/AM
Michael O'Connor (2019) DM

Forwards (4):
John Akinde (2021)
Bruno Andrade (2020)
Matt Rhead (2019)
Matt Green (2019)

Total: 18
Under contract: 17
Contracts pending: 1

Goalkeeper:
Out: Farman
In: Smith

Defenders:
Out: Long
In: Toffolo

Midfielders:
Out: Arnold, Stewart, Knott, Woodyard, Whitehouse
In: O'Connor

Strikers:
Out: Palmer
In: Andrade, Akinde

So, thats a left-sided CB & a RB (cover) & we're ready to start. A couple of loans & DC will have his 22. Roll on the new season - in front of 10,000 home gates again. The loco is ready to roll again. ??

I’ve read that Walton has instead signed for Matlock, not seen any confirmation though
Edit - Matlock listed their signings so far yesterday and he wasn’t on there

Anybody got anything clear about what is happening with Walton. I would have thought that the contract offer would have an expiry of the 30th of June in line with his previous deal. Matlock mooted as above but with no confirmation so could that be a loan as opposed to a permanent deal.

Goalkeeper:
Out: Farman
In: Smith

Defenders:
Out: Long
In: Toffolo

Midfielders:
Out: Arnold, Stewart, Knott, Woodyard, Whitehouse
In: O'Connor

Strikers:
Out: Palmer
In: Andrade, Akinde

A significant upgrade on last season now, bar maybe midfield.

A significant upgrade on last season now, bar maybe midfield.

Woodyard will be irreplaceable IMO but O'Connor will be a great player if we can keep him fit. I am still a little concerned about us defensively because now AW has left it will give us less protection to our backline.

I hope we can strengthen and bring in similar quality to the 5 already brought in, we only really have two CB and I would rather keep Bossie in midfield and not have to rely on him needing to go back to be a defender unless it's an emergency.

Does anyone have any information on whether any 2nd-year scholars have been retained. I,m thinking of Declan O'Hare, Danny Horton, and James Hugo, as they were given squad numbers last season, as well as the goalie Michael Antkowiak.

Does anyone have any information on whether any 2nd-year scholars have been retained. I,m thinking of Declan O'Hare, Danny Horton, and James Hugo, as they were given squad numbers last season, as well as the goalie Michael Antkowiak.
I believe (nothing to support these but my own reasoning) that they will all be as it appears we basically started again with the youth team so they’ll mostly be eligible to play in youth leagues this season

IMG_20180708_171614_102.jpg

What do we think we still need then?

For me priority has to be a quality, ideally left sided, centre half. We don't look as strong at centre half going into this season than we did last, largely because we don't have Ragget. This needs to be a signing similar in quality to the ones made so far.

Then I think we need a high energy central midfielder to compete with Freck and O'Connor and offer something different. Basically someone like Woodyard!

Cover for right back is needed. But I would be happy if we signed a 2nd quality centre half and used Wilson as cover for right back as well as centre back.

Then we need wingers, 1 or 2 will depend on how DC plans to line us up.

And finally another striker wouldn't hurt, someone like Shaw who will be a cheap back up but could come good.

5 more isn't it to get to Danny's ideal squad size of 22.
3 defenders, RB two CBS(preferably one left footed).
1 winger
1 forward.
About right?
Or perhaps 2 defenders who can multiple positions?
2 wingers and a forward?