Retained List And Squad | Page 18 | Vital Football

Retained List And Squad

Following the announcement this morning that Luke Waterfall has joined Shrewsbury Town, that leaves just two players in the squad who helped us to lift the National League title; Sam Habergham and Matt Rhead. Who'd have believed that in just over a year?

It's a two way street though. Many of them have left for good contracts when their careers were stalling (Hawkridge and Muldoon for example) or actually higher league football - Waterfall and arguably Power. Even Howe left for EFL football albeit didn't work out for him. Players the Cowleys brought in like Margetts, Woodyard, and Ragett have left for higher league football. Generally those that showed a good attitude have benefitted when they moved on.

Update following the departure of Luke Waterfall:

The current squad is (contract date):

Goalkeepers (2):
Grant Smith (2020)
Josh Vickers (2019)

Defenders (6):
Neal Eardley (2020) RB
Harry Toffolo (2020) LB
James Wilson (2020) RCH
Sam Habergham (2019) LB
Adam Crookes (season-long loan from Nottingham Forest) LCH
Scott Wharton (season-long loan from Blackburn) LCH

Midfielders (6):
Harry Anderson (2020) Winger
Michael Bostwick (2020) DM
Ellis Chapman (2020) AM
Lee Frecklington (2020) AM
Tom Pett (2020) Winger/AM
Michael O'Connor (2019) DM

Forwards (5):
John Akinde (2021)
Bruno Andrade (2020)
Matt Rhead (2019)
Matt Green (2019)
Shay McCartan (season-long loan from Bradford)

Total: 19 (16 under contract, 3 on a season-long loans).

I think we need a new CB especially if we are to play with 3 at the back. If we move Bostwick there then we need another holding midfielder.

Well, that's that, perhaps bar another loan signing before the end of August.

I must say, it's the first time since I've been following Lincoln that I've looked at a squad list and not really seen any dead wood or one that you think will end up out on loan in the second half of the season.

Struggling to pin Pett to any particular position. I'm not sure he's an out and out CM or wide forward. I thought he was a number 10 but I'm not sure we'll be playing with one of those much.

During pre season Pett certainly played centrally more often than he did out wide, whether that's a sign of his main role this season I'm not sure.

picking two teams from the 22 gives a good indication of the strength in depth and the balance of that squad:

if we go with this as the approximate first team:

mccartan-akinde-green
toffolo-o'connor-freck-eardley
wharton-shackell-wilson
vickers​

that leaves our 'other 11' as:

luque-rhead-andrade
habergham-chapman-pett-anderson
crookes-bostwick-mccombe
smith
a little bit of juggling with bostwick and anderson to make up the two teams positionally, but that second 11 is pretty decent. probably shows we could do with one more defender that can play right centreback and right fullback.

picking two teams from the 22 gives a good indication of the strength in depth and the balance of that squad:

mccartan-akinde-green
wharton-shackell-wilson
vickers​

that leaves our 'other 11' as:

luque-rhead-andrade
habergham-chapman-pett-anderson
crookes-bostwick-mccombe
smith
a little bit of juggling with bostwick and anderson to make up the two teams positionally, but that second 11 is pretty decent. probably shows we could do with one more defender that can play right centreback and right fullback.

I'm glad I'm not DC. He's going to have a hell of a job sorting out that lot to find our best 11, but at least we should have a really strong bench all season.

Just went back to the first post in this thread. It was only May 18 and although we still had the basis of a good team, it's surprising how many players have changed over the last 12 weeks and how the quality in the squad has been ramped up. Hope they gel quickly and we can get on a run.

We now have 21 in total, but effectively 20 if we discount McCombe.

That seems an absolute minimum required, but I expect perhaps 1/2 more loan before the end of August.

We now have 21 in total, but effectively 20 if we discount McCombe.

That seems an absolute minimum required, but I expect perhaps 1/2 more loan before the end of August.
think it is 22. 21 discounting mccombe. 20 discounting habergham injured. agree still too small. 2 more loans off the current cowley targetlist and we have a serious promotion chasing squad.

mccartan-akinde-green
wharton-shackell-wilson
vickers​

You'd leave Bostwick out of the first team???????

If I was DC/NC my team would probably be:
Vickers
Eardley Shackell Wharton Toffolo
Bostwick Frecklington
Anderson Pett Andrade
Akinde

I think. Who knows really what our best team is