Project Big Picture | Vital Football

Project Big Picture

ZAKKY

Vital Football Hero
Liverpool & Man Utd​
The two clubs have worked together on a radical set of proposals – called “Project Big Picture” - that will reshape the finances of the game. The Premier League, the most lucrative sports league in the world, would see a reduction to 18 teams, and controlling power in the hands of the biggest clubs.​
In return for tearing up many of the rules that have governed the game since the Premier League’s inception in 1992 there will be £250 million rescue package to the Football League to see them through the Covid crisis.​
The Daily Telegraph can reveal the details of the working document “Revitalisation” authored by Liverpool’s American ownership Fenway Sports Group with support from United. It anticipates the backing of the other members of the so-called big six, Manchester City, Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham Hotspur.​
In a remarkable set of proposals, which will send shockwaves through the game, 25 per cent of the Premier League’s annual revenue will go to the EFL clubs with £250 million paid up front to see them through the current crisis. There would also be a gift of £100 million to sustain the Football Association.​
However, there would be an abolition of the one-club, one-vote principle that has sustained the Premier League since its inception as well as the abolition of the threshold of 14 votes to pass any decision or regulation change.​
Under the new proposals, the League Cup and the Community Shield would be abolished. There have been additional discussions that the League Cup would survive but without the participation of the clubs in Europe.​
There would be two automatic promotion places for Championship clubs, but the third, fourth and fifth placed clubs would be in a play-off tournament with the 16th placed Premier League club.​
The nine clubs who have been in the Premier League for the longest - which includes the big six - would dictate its running in every aspect and would be free to play more games in the expanded Champions League that is anticipated from the 2024-2025 season onwards.​
As well as the Premier League dropping from 20 clubs to 18, there would be 24 in each of the Championship, League One and League Two making a total of 90.​
The plan is supported by the EFL chairman Rick Parry who has held talks with Liverpool’s principal owner, the American investor John W Henry, and shareholder and director Mike Gordon. In addition, Parry has spoken to the Glazer family, who own United.​

Not sure about some of the other stuff (especially the control of the general running/decision making), but the play off proposal is definitely a sensible one.

Isn't that how they first started, years ago?

Sounds reasonable especially more money filtering down the leagues.
Would they abolish parachute payments?

I think there's some good ideas in there, I've always liked the idea of a relegation playoff, although I'm sure many argue it's unfair and gives an advantage to the team in the higher league. But the current play off system is hardly ideal ... Team creaps in to the play offs on the last day of the season, wins the final against a team that finished let's say 10 points ahead of them and goes up.

Losing the league Cup wouldn't be a huge miss, but I'd miss the charity shield. Its not exactly prestigious, but it's the season opener! Plus, I truly belive we'd have won it if Martinez was still manager (was such an awful game, Coyles tactics vs Moyes ... Yawn), so that probably has a bearing.

I'm unsure about the drop to 18 prem teams and the voting changes, sounds like they're putting down the groundwork for one day voting to close the door on the rest of the league (coincidence the two team owners putting forward the plans are both Americans - ie not great fans of the whole promotion and relegation thing in their sports leagues?!).

It's a good starting point, but I'd much prefer it if the EFL teams got together, put forward some reform proposals and merged their ideas with the Prem teams into a full professional leagues reform package. Ideas including potential changes to parachute payments like mentioned above etc

Sounds far better than the ludicrous B Team proposal that was floated again earlier this week. Not sure those clubs in the lower echelons of the PL will necessarily welcome the proposal however. It will be interesting to see how they propose to distribute revenue with the top flight as undoubtedly the ‘big clubs’ will want more and games will be less competitive with the ‘others’ who get less.

Cant help it would make the PL more of a closed shop. Saying that I feel quite ambivalent toward it. If revenue is to be diverted downward then that can only be a good thing as it’s necessary for clubs to survive before they fall like dominos.

I must say I view the League Cup as a non event and can certainly see why those in Europe view it as an irritation. No reason why it couldn’t continue without those in Europe if there is an appetite for it. Could even be revamped on lines similar to efl cup if necessary.

As a framework however I think the proposals have merit and worthy of further discussion and fine tuning.

From a Latics perspective as a club unlikely to ever play in the Premier League again these proposals are good for us. A bigger share of money, the long overdue abolition of parachute payments, four loan players from one club would benefit us more than many as a team from the North West and a prime feeder club for a Liverpool/United. Agree that relegation playoffs are also a positive change.

Having said all that it’s a typically American proposal with the devil of course being it puts all the power in the hands of the big clubs. Make no mistake this would be simply be step one towards an ultimate endgame plan of creating a closed shop Premier League of around 14-15 clubs. This is simply a big bribe to put the power in the hands of those big clubs which mean that when the time comes that the closed shop is proposed, all fans, clubs and governing bodies will be powerless to stop it.

I can’t see this getting voted through though, no bottom half Prem club is going to vote for the abolishment of parachute payments and two Premier League spots. If EFL clubs could vote then the turkeys would all vote for Christmas and the plans would comfortably pass through.

Don't see the point in 18 teams in the premier League, keep it 20. Everything else seems sensible, but who do you trust? I want more seasons like Leicester and not the usual suspects. It gives hope to other clubs. Firstly we need to sort out this horrendous wage cap and league one and two that only scuppers teams currently without other leagues taking it on board.

That sounds dreadful - sell the game to the big clubs to dictate for a one off payment of a couple of million.

If anyone is asking for more power they are the most likely to abuse it once they have in and attribute even more power and riches to themselves.

This will end very badly for everyone outside the top 6. They will end up formalising their monopoly on success and see them take even more revenue for themselves at the rests expense in the longer term.

Last edited:
Of course the devil is in the detail. I’ve just read a more detailed report on these proposals. Its aim is to create a cartel. They would decide on who owns clubs for example. So therefore anyone with money that could threaten them wouldn’t be approved. Explains why the Saudi Newcastle deal wasn’t approved and is already in affect. They want to sell their own limited number of games, want to play more friendlies etc.

I’ve just read about the role Parry has had in them. Admits he was working on them with Liverpool/United long before he became EFL chairman. I’m under no illusions he only took that role to force these proposals through for the benefit of them. In a way it’s a clever proposal as it benefits those who are driving it and a large majority of efl clubs. Those that won’t be happy are the other PL clubs or those bigger Championship ones striving to get in it as it dramatically reduces the revenue they could earn. He even admits that. However you can’t have someone at the head of an organisation effectively working for those outside of it. It’s a disgrace and he should be removed from post.

It's a fuckin disgrace. Exactly like the proposals the "Big clubs" forced on the EFL ones a couple of years back which now means they get to hoover up all the best young talent and poach the ones from us mere mortals for peanuts.
Bribed the EFL to vote for it by dangling a big fat one off payment for them but basically said if you don't vote it through we'll do it anyway.
It worked then and they're trying it again. Less clubs in to the top flight, a cartel of the club's who've spent the most time in the PL, scrapping the league Cup and big pay days for the little guys but here's some cash so you don't go bust now in order to make you vote for it
And that gobshite and weasel Parry at the heart of it. You know the former Liverpool guy colluding with his former club to get through proposals that (once you study the proposals ad long term effects of them) no club would vote for unless they have a gun shoved in their back

Interesting take Mighty. As I said the devil is in the detail and given what’s come out about Parry’s involvement for some years I’m less convinced then when I read the first article.

I suppose it depends on if I view it from just our perspective of the wider impact and consequences. I think from our point of view it’s not necessarily a bad thing. Revenue is being filtered, including for infrastructure improvements to the tune of about 2.5 mill ( I think per year if I read it correctly). A potential downside is the ‘top 6’ are in control of efl broadcast contracts and I assume how much we get.

From a wider perspective having just 6 clubs controlling matters, even saying who can own own clubs to stop them being threatened is wrong on so many levels. It would create a cartel and be extremely difficult for any club to break it. There are many more negative aspects. We aren’t competing at that level and are unlikely too any time soon so I guess it doesn’t really impact is from that angle.

Seems clubs are only interested in themselves though, not the bigger picture. No one really cared about our unjust relegation. Barnsley even intervened putting our very existence at risk and didn’t give a shit. So I guess should we really give a shit about the negative aspects?

Parry however is a disgrace and needs to go. He’s been working on this with his firmer club for years and has taken a position of influence to force it through, taking advantage of a global pandemic and crisis to do it under the cover of that as confirmed by his interview in The Telegraph.

'Project Big Picture'.....my f@ckin arse, the top six DO NOT give a rats arse about anyone bar themselves, what's in it for them & how they can maintain their place at the top of the greed league. Whatever amount of money they may well be filtering down to those teams they look down their noses at, there will be a dam sight more going back up to them. As for Parry, anything he is involved in, is a part of or puts his name to has the same taint & smell of corruption as Sepp Blatter. The big boys in the Premier league are interested in themselves and themselves only no matter what token gestures / platitudes they might spout. No one, not the FA, PFA, EFL or any other organisation will say anything against them for fear of losing out on their 'kickbacks'.........rant over

I'm not sure but I think it says 250,000 quid would be made available for EFL clubs.
Now then, who would get what? Will be interesting. Clubs who fork out or rake in a fortune in transfer fees recently will still want a share when obviously they don't need it.

The ultimate aim of the 'cartel' clubs is a pan-european league.
So would that mean the cartel 6 or 9 play weakened teams in Premier League games?
Would the above 2 things weaken the earning power of the Prem? Especially with the plans for the cartel to sell their own games overseas.
At this point the 25% of Prem League earnings to be handed down to the EFL would be worth diddly squat

Mmmm, Liverpool = American owners Scumbags = American owners. Massive red flag to me. Never trust anything the so called big six propose coz ultimately it is to benefit them. Never trust Americans especially in football coz of their history and willingness to franchise everything.

Its interesting that the EFL would support this (although not surprising that Parry would). An 18 team prem/90 club structure means culling 2 EFL teams. That's going to divide a lot of opinion between the league 2 sides. It depends if EFL clubs stand as one unit or, as we've seen recently, just look out for their own