Problems... | Page 5 | Vital Football

Problems...

I have a slightly different take on the *not playing well* comment.

I think it's difficult for us to *look* as if we're playing well, even when we are.

The reason for this is quite simple: we now set up to play defensively with just one up top, sit back and form two banks of 4 fairly deep in our own half. We concede possession - even in our own half - and are happy to do so. We don't do a "high press" anymore. The mantra is clearly "First: don't lose".

What that means is that we simply cannot play long passages of attacking, flowing football. For long stretches of games, we *look* a bit rubbish, but actually we're keeping our shape and not losing. Occasionally, we even win ;)

The problem for me is not this philosophy, particularly, but more that it isn't working as well as it should - not enough clean sheets is evidence of that.

I think we're missing a key player in the midfield who can spring attacks more effectively and also clear up in front of the defence. That box-to-box player which definitely isn't Bozzie, Freck or O'Connor, as good as they are in what they do.

Is it O'Hara? We don't know yet.

More clean sheets required and everything else will fall into place..

I think it's difficult for us to *look* as if we're playing well, even when we are.

The reason for this is quite simple: we now set up to play defensively with just one up top, sit back and form two banks of 4 fairly deep in our own half. We concede possession - even in our own half - and are happy to do so. We don't do a "high press" anymore. The mantra is clearly "First: don't lose".

What that means is that we simply cannot play long passages of attacking, flowing football. For long stretches of games, we *look* a bit rubbish, but actually we're keeping our shape and not losing. Occasionally, we even win ;)

The problem for me is not this philosophy, particularly, but more that it isn't working as well as it should - not enough clean sheets is evidence of that.

I think we're missing a key player in the midfield who can spring attacks more effectively and also clear up in front of the defence. That box-to-box player which definitely isn't Bozzie, Freck or O'Connor, as good as they are in what they do.

Hit the nail on the head. Cowleys know pretty play does NOT win matches, goals do.
Just need better execution. When it does n’t work there are not many places to hide. Fortunately because they know what they are doing, it has worked in the past and will work again.

This is kind of how I summed things up on the match thread. We've always seemed to have played this style of football away from home under Danny. Now we are playing it at home as well.
Protect our goal as our main aim with everyone behind the ball at times. To dominate numerically. Then when we get a set piece in the danger zone, push people forward in the hope of capitalising with numbers in the box. Offense/defense ploy borrowed from American Football?
We've been unfortunate with red cards recently, which has emphasised the defensive approach, and it's unfair to judge our style on those games.
That said, I thought against Northampton, before the Anderson sending off we looked good up front. Rowe was venturing up alongside Akinde when we had the ball, and Andrade and Anderson were getting at their full backs down the wing. I'd like to see a lot more of that, but I accept it's not always possible, and you have to give credit to the opposition as well.
Also regarding Anderson and Andrade. I don't think they give adequate protection to our full backs and Eardley seems to be regularly exposed to 2 attackers down his flank. Having to decide whether to go for the man with the ball but in doing so he's leaving a man free out wide.
One other thing. We appear to lack height and are no longer the aerial threat we used to be at corners and free kicks. Could do with seeing more of Rheady.

I’ve actually thought something’s been a bit wrong since October

You cant make this sh1te up can you? If you think something has been wrong since October then there really is no hope for you .Why not find something else to do if you don't like watching a team that is currently top of the League and more than likely to achieve promotion. If I had a time machine I would drag your ungrateful sorry arse into it and set the dial to any one of our numerous sh1te periods and keep you there in perpetual misery. Honestly it beggars belief

Couple of points to pick up on here mate... first I said a bit wrong, not wrong. Second, at no point did I say I don’t like watching the side play. Who wouldn’t have enjoyed the games at Swindon and Bury for example, except for other than they didn’t yield 3 points for us? I might also point out that in my original post, my final paragraph gave full praise to the work done so far, and acknowledged what a great position we’re in. Am I not grateful for being top of the league? No chance. Am I worried about us losing a top 3 place come the end of the season? Not really at this stage. Do I hold a slight concern at the recent dropping of points, our lower points per game average since Christmas, and our general performance levels since October? To that, I’d say yes.

Anyway, the points I made were made to encourage a bit of discussion - and as this thread has now run to 5 pages, I’d say it’s job done on that front. What I didn’t expect was the type of language and tone thrown back in your post. Although given you’re someone who can’t even spell guard properly, perhaps I shouldn’t be surprised. How do you pronounce your name anyway... is it old gah-urd or old gay-urd? Would love to know...

Also regarding Anderson and Andrade. I don't think they give adequate protection to our full backs and Eardley seems to be regularly exposed to 2 attackers down his flank. Having to decide whether to go for the man with the ball but in doing so he's leaving a man free out wide.
Think that's unfair on Harry, he has done this as much as possible every time he's played., often to the extent where its nullified him going the other way. Bruno has lacked in this, but he is getting better.

There is also that free agent left back that supposedly was signing for us in preference to Scunthorpe. Can’t remember his name but if he’s still around maybe he’s still possible if Toff needs a rest.

Not sure anyone needs a rest. But if injured, need to be replaced. I would also add we need some mature heads on the pitch. Gilks and Rheady. Time for a wise head and strong spine.

Not sure anyone needs a rest. But if injured, need to be replaced. I would also add we need some mature heads on the pitch. Gilks and Rheady. Time for a wise head and strong spine.

Both Rheady and Gilks need game time and this weekend could be the moment they need introducing back to the starting eleven.
Just hope Rheady`s piles won`t be too much of a disadvantage.
Get the Ledge on with Big John and tear them Shrimpers apart.

There is also that free agent left back that supposedly was signing for us in preference to Scunthorpe. Can’t remember his name but if he’s still around maybe he’s still possible if Toff needs a rest.

Aidy White. Not sure if he's still training with us or not