Problems... | Page 2 | Vital Football

Problems...

It's good to see that despite all these 'problems', we are still 2 points clear at the top if the league, with a game in hand. That said, a lot of really good points have been made in this thread.

On a more light hearted note, the real answer is that we need 2 Michael Bostwick's...... then we can play one in defence and one in midfield!!!

I do thing we lack legs, pace and energy in midfield and there is often a void between our deep lying midfielders and the front 2. O'Hara was deemed good enough to start 15 games in League 1 at the start of the season before falling out with the fat Scot. He is described as an energetic, box to box midfielder....... which seems to me to be the perfect description of the one player we are lacking, yet we have seen virtually nothing of him.

Maybe that will change next week?

Think they will be trying hard to get O'Hara on method. Unfortunately this takes a bit of time. Expect to see quite a bit more of him as time passes. We want those qualities but need to keep the team organisation.

It's the usual thing we are all impatient but sustainable improvements take time.

It's good to see that despite all these 'problems', we are still 2 points clear at the top if the league, with a game in hand. That said, a lot of really good points have been made in this thread.

I've been impressed that people have put thought behind moans and groans which makes them opinions. Much more interesting to read.

I think there is a bit to be said for some players struggling for form at present. However it can just as easily be argued that the small margins that were falling our way earlier in the season are not at the moment. As good as results have been this season our late winners at home (MK, Bury) and fortunate results away (Northampton, Grimsby) only served to paper over some indifferent performances. In my mind not much has changed apart from the results. We've been solid and difficult to beat all season but the number of times we have blown the opposition away has been relatively few. None of that is meant to be a criticism, solid and hard to beat are great qualities, but if you have a side doing "just enough" you have to expect periods where results slip.
For me there is no need to panic (and to be fair not many are). We have a very good squad, perhaps it is time to use it and give some of those underperforming a rest. Not sure we need to change our system though, we are still the second top scoring side in the league and we have plenty of goals in us. I have no doubt we will gain promotion this year. As for winning the league we just need to get on the right side again of those fine margins DC has been so good at identifying...

I think there is a bit to be said for some players struggling for form at present. However it can just as easily be argued that the small margins that were falling our way earlier in the season are not at the moment. As good as results have been this season our late winners at home (MK, Bury) and fortunate results away (Northampton, Grimsby) only served to paper over some indifferent performances. In my mind not much has changed apart from the results. We've been solid and difficult to beat all season but the number of times we have blown the opposition away has been relatively few. None of that is meant to be a criticism, solid and hard to beat are great qualities, but if you have a side doing "just enough" you have to expect periods where results slip.
For me there is no need to panic (and to be fair not many are). We have a very good squad, perhaps it is time to use it and give some of those underperforming a rest. Not sure we need to change our system though, we are still the second top scoring side in the league and we have plenty of goals in us. I have no doubt we will gain promotion this year. As for winning the league we just need to get on the right side again of those fine margins DC has been so good at identifying...

Something the English cricket team didn't do, then have started to do. Drop the odd player for a match who isn't performing. It gives them a kick up the chuff to start performing again. McCartan came on yesterday after last week not featuring and he looked bright. I imagine that this week's training for the players will be one they don't forget for a long while. There were a few absent yesterday, who gave a phoned in performance. They need to out their hands up. We need leaders not people AWOL.

Definitely some problems with some players.
Most likely that injuries are primarily to blame. Bolger, O'Connor, Freck, Bossie all have had and/or still have various injuries and are playing despite them.
Conversely, after Bruno's enforced 3 matches out, he has come back fresh and flying. Hopefully the same will happen with Harry.

Danny and Nicky will be aware of who is struggling most and where things can be rejigged, and I'm sure we'll see some changes next week.

For me, i would also restore Bossie to defence and Pett to central midfield. Pett's autumn performances in the centre were the closest we've seen to Woodyard.
And personally i would like to see two of Akinde/Angol/Rhead on together for some or all the game.

Like it, Akinde definitely needs a friend up there with him not a no.10 yards behind especially at home.
He put both Andrade and McCartan in with lovely passes and they both stuffed imagine bile and vitriol if had been the other way around?

Definitely Pett and O'Connor/Bostwick in midfield for me. We lack someone with energy buzzing around, like Pett can do.

I reserve judgment on O'Hara. Three sub appearances so far and he has hardly touched the ball. Not promising for a box to box midfielder, who should be getting involved in the play even on brief appearances.

I'l also like to see Akinde and Rhead given a go, with Andrade and Rowe out wide. Or at least Akinde and Angol.

Freck has been far too negative with his passing for months. I was surprised he was fit to start yesterday with having to go off early in the last game.

If we want to win the league, we have to get this sorted quickly. We have the best squad we have ever had in the Cowley era. With Bury coming up fast, we need to find our best 11 very very soon.

Not read all the thread (yet) so apologies if already mentioned, but I'm going to bore you all again with my central midfield posts.

Woodyard/Wood, Woodyard/Power, Woodyard/Whitehouse, Woodyard/Bostwick.

Last season we tried 4-4-2 early on and changed because we were being outnumbered most games. This season, at present, we're back to being outnumbered in midfield but instead, this midfield can't get around the pitch like the above have down the years, or a midfield whose first thought is, in the main, to cover spaces and a more 'defensive' brain. Now that's fine if we play to strengths of that midfield, but we aren't. Our default position is not to be countered and I've got no problem with that whatsoever, but we've got to have the personnel in there to do so.

Freck, O'Connor and Pett are better players, technically better, more 'attacking' brains, but seem to be being asked to perform roles more suited to a Bostwick/Woodyard type.

CM is the most important position on the pitch. It protects the back, supports the front. At the minute, it's not doing much of either and seems to be in between two styles of play - being asked to do one thing, but wanting to do another. That's not the players disregarding what's being asked of them, more that they're not suited to it.

I'm not saying I'd prefer a Woodyard/Wood midfield or anything like that, I'm just suggesting that we're still expecting our CM's to do similar to what we have done in previous years, just not with the players to do it as effectively.

If we're going to play 4-2-3-1 and a front four of Akinde, Rowe, Andrade, Anderson then you can't be too conservative. If you're going to be that, you probably need to take one out, stop playing a '10' and put 3 in midfield. You can't play that and be half in, half out with two approaches.

We lack a Woodyard kind of 'buzz' in there. Pett's probably the closest we've got to that.

I am utterly bemused. We conceded two late goals and everyone wants to change the attacking formation. There is obviously a lot of lateral thinking going on which is beyond my comprehension.

We didnt actually create that much.. we also only had 43% of possession. Not so much because of poor performances of the attackers, more the service they are receiving.

I only watch on ifollow.. so obviously don't get a complete picture. But id say almost every game Frecklington appears the least prominant player (and then usually given MOM by Thommo )

Like it, Akinde definitely needs a friend up there with him not a no.10 yards behind especially at home.
He put both Andrade and McCartan in with lovely passes and they both stuffed imagine bile and vitriol if had been the other way around?

Rowe should be the answer but like with others the relationship with Akinde is not reciprocal, as yet. They are all League 2 players so of course they mess up. I wish JA was more greedy and went for goal more often. He has not scored in open play this year, although his running off the ball and assistance work has been good.

We missed Harry towards the end of the game, his chasing back and "harrying" would have unsettled Chair, as would the attentions of Woodyard or Power in previous years. In hindsight taking Pett off was probably a mistake, but he may have been knackered or carrying a knock?

Think the captaincy should be up for grabs. So important to have a real leader on the pitch who sees the problem and actions a player/s to remedy it.

Last edited:
Don’t get me wrong he made the most of his opportunities but he didn’t have to do too much to keep finding exactly the same space time after time after time after time after time after time...
That's right, and given the experienced players we have in that area it was very disappointing to see.

Not read all the thread (yet) so apologies if already mentioned, but I'm going to bore you all again with my central midfield posts.

Woodyard/Wood, Woodyard/Power, Woodyard/Whitehouse, Woodyard/Bostwick.

Last season we tried 4-4-2 early on and changed because we were being outnumbered most games. This season, at present, we're back to being outnumbered in midfield but instead, this midfield can't get around the pitch like the above have down the years, or a midfield whose first thought is, in the main, to cover spaces and a more 'defensive' brain. Now that's fine if we play to strengths of that midfield, but we aren't. Our default position is not to be countered and I've got no problem with that whatsoever, but we've got to have the personnel in there to do so.

Freck, O'Connor and Pett are better players, technically better, more 'attacking' brains, but seem to be being asked to perform roles more suited to a Bostwick/Woodyard type.

CM is the most important position on the pitch. It protects the back, supports the front. At the minute, it's not doing much of either and seems to be in between two styles of play - being asked to do one thing, but wanting to do another. That's not the players disregarding what's being asked of them, more that they're not suited to it.

I'm not saying I'd prefer a Woodyard/Wood midfield or anything like that, I'm just suggesting that we're still expecting our CM's to do similar to what we have done in previous years, just not with the players to do it as effectively.

If we're going to play 4-2-3-1 and a front four of Akinde, Rowe, Andrade, Anderson then you can't be too conservative. If you're going to be that, you probably need to take one out, stop playing a '10' and put 3 in midfield. You can't play that and be half in, half out with two approaches.

We lack a Woodyard kind of 'buzz' in there. Pett's probably the closest we've got to that.
Completely agree. All the talk of the keeper and Akinde needing help are valid, but this has been, and continues to be, our Achilles heel. Really surprised DC hasn't done anything about it.

You are right of course. The problem is unless we win 5-0 every week people think there is something wrong.

If Harry Toffolo had kept his shot a foot or so lower in the last minute, the side would have had character, never say die spirit and winning the league was guaranteed.

Instead I have read, Frecklington does not contribute to the attack enough, we need to play 2 up front, Matt Rhead needs to play with Akinde and we rarely take the game to the opposition and other analysis of our “present problems”.

Obviously we have a problem scoring.

Not sure how this fits with the fact though.

The last time we failed to score. 27 October, 22 games ago.

Then I read “everybody has the right to ask what has not been going right recently.”

I do have the answer for this - not very much

The reason Cowley talks about getting the process right is because he knows the margins between wining and losing are small. Luck, refereeing decisions and circumstances beyond your complete control play a part. But over a period if you keep doing the right things you will get the right results.

In the last 3 games we have played a side in their best form of the season and still got abetter result than FGR and Mansfield despite conceding a dodgy penalty and missing one: we have played 55 minutes with 10 players and we have conceded 2 great long range strikes from a player in the form of his life.

To have that and lose none of those matches should actual indicate little is wrong.

The facts you inconveniently outlined confirm this.

I’m enjoying our success/problems - as you say long may it continue.

No-one is demanding a 5-0 win every week - that's a straw man argument. We have drawn 4 in a row, 3 of which we were winning at one point during the game. There is a middle ground between thinking we should win 5-0 every week and drawing every week from a winning position.

We didnt actually create that much.. we also only had 43% of possession. Not so much because of poor performances of the attackers, more the service they are receiving.

I only watch on ifollow.. so obviously don't get a complete picture. But id say almost every game Frecklington appears the least prominant player (and then usually given MOM by Thommo )

As any good FGR supporter knows, possession does not equal chances.

Every time we had kept a clean sheet in the last 21 games the result would have been a Lincoln win.

We create chances and score goals, every game since October.

Just at the moment we are conceding too many goals.

The balance is wrong because we are set up with the expectation we will only need one or two goals to win matches because we will keep clean sheets. This is the part of the formula that is slightly off at the moment.

No-one is demanding a 5-0 win every week - that's a straw man argument. We have drawn 4 in a row, 3 of which we were winning at one point during the game. There is a middle ground between thinking we should win 5-0 every week and drawing every week from a winning position.
You are right I exaggerate. But it’s not unreasonable to expect the odd run of draws and god forbid a defeat without hitting the panic button. Which seems to be the default position of some. As we should all know, it happens.

You are right I exaggerate. But it’s not unreasonable to expect the odd run of draws and god forbid a defeat without hitting the panic button. Which seems to be the default position of some. As we should all know, it happens.

I don't particularly see anyone panicking, tbh. Even I'm not, and I'm prone to it far more than the average fan. ;)

You're right that the defence is the issue, though. A noticeably lack of clean-sheets is usually a pretty big give-away on that front.