Premier League 2019-2020 | Here We Come | Action Plan | Page 5 | Vital Football

Premier League 2019-2020 | Here We Come | Action Plan

I’m a big fan of Mitrovic, depends how much he costs but I would enquire about him.

I’m not totally sure about Tammy, his all round game needs a lot of work but then he is still young. He’s getting 4 or 5 good chances in the championship against some of the poorer teams, in the premier league that’ll halve.

Mings, Mitrovic from Fulham, Bowen from Hull and Justin from Luton would be a good start.

With Chelsea's transfer embargo they may look to hold on to Tammy. It's all hands on deck at Stamford Bridge.

He did have a season at Swansea, let's not forget, so he does have PL experience. The Chelsea fans that I know would love to see him given a chance.

I’m a big fan of Mitrovic, depends how much he costs but I would enquire about him.

I’m not totally sure about Tammy, his all round game needs a lot of work but then he is still young. He’s getting 4 or 5 good chances in the championship against some of the poorer teams, in the premier league that’ll halve.

This season:
Mitrovic 131 shots, 11 goals
Tammy 117 shots, 26 goals

At his age I expect Tammy to improve and despite sometimes missing his stats aren’t actually that bad. I think he’ll be good enough in the premier league. Everyone thinks Mitrovic is good enough but looks like if anything he is less clinical than Abraham

This season:
Mitrovic 131 shots, 11 goals
Tammy 117 shots, 26 goals

At his age I expect Tammy to improve and despite sometimes missing his stats aren’t actually that bad. I think he’ll be good enough in the premier league. Everyone thinks Mitrovic is good enough but looks like if anything he is less clinical than Abraham

It’s apples and pears though, a top championship side against a shocking premier league.

The point about Mitro not doing it yet from a goals perspective in the premiership is valid but his all round play is excellent, he’d link up well with Jack and he’s a nasty fucker - which I like. Plus he’s only 24 years old even if he looks 30.

Think we'll take the best of what we've got then add some quality. For me best of what we've got is the team which has won 12 of the last 15 matches, all of them (bar one or two, see below). However, qualification; both Alex and Tammy want to play for their home clubs, understandably, and I suspect they will, so they're out.

So, assuming DS is looking for cover in every position, we have something like this:

Goal: Steer/Kalinic

Backs: Elmo/Guilbert Mings/Elphick* Hause/Chester* Taylor/?

Midfield: Adomah* Green* McGinn Hourihane* Whelan* Grealish El-Ghazi ?

Forwards: ? Kodjia* O'Hare* Davis*

For the ones with a * by their names:
Elphick - useful as backup, but maybe he'd rather go. I'd keep if possible
Chester - revealed his injury is chronic. Staying as backup might suit him and us.
Adomah - done a job this season but we need a class replacement. Let go.
Green - hasn't made a real impact in spite of skills. Think we need better.
Hourihane - for me, good enough, maybe Burnley PL rather than MC PL, but OK
Whelan - can still do a job, would keep as backup, but DM needs strengthening
Kodjia - might be OK as backup, not lead striker, maybe let go.
O' Hare - promising, keeping him as number 2 would be my choice.
Davis - hasn't seized his chance. Loan out or let go.

So... for the question marks, we need a top quality striker, a quality winger, and a good left back.

If ... we let Adomah, Green, Kodjia and Davis go, we need another quality winger and another quality forward.

And ... we need a top quality DM as well

If Dean sees it my way, two strikers, two wingers, a DM and an LB will do it. That gives a squad of 20. That gives some leeway. He could keep Lansbury, for example. Could still keep one or two others from above I reckoned on letting go. Might shove Sarkic in as no 3 keeper.

Finally ... for signings, think we'll cast our net wide, especially abroad. Forget Gayle, Maupay.

Last edited:
My opinion for what it's worth and i'd be totally ruthless and without sentiment here ,

We need 9 players to add to SJM and Jack , it's a harsh reality but when I look at a Team like watford and they are half way up the Prem they would hammer us at the moment and look what city did to them .

Cant see us beating that 10 run for a long time. Put it that way.
Welcome the the arena of top gladiators. We have great owners. Patience is a virtue. Purslow has already mentioned, youth is key. The future is bright as for the first time in decades we have patrons running the show.

Think we'll take the best of what we've got then add some quality. For me best of what we've got is the team which has won 12 of the last 15 matches, all of them (bar one or two, see below). However, qualification; both Alex and Tammy want to play for their home clubs, understandably, and I suspect they will, so they're out.

So, assuming DS is looking for cover in every position, we have something like this:

Goal: Steer/Kalinic

Backs: Elmo/Guilbert Mings/Elphick* Hause/Chester* Taylor/?

Midfield: Adomah* Green* McGinn Hourihane* Whelan* Grealish El-Ghazi ?

Forwards: ? Kodjia* O'Hare* Davis*

For the ones with a * by their names:
Elphick - useful as backup, but maybe he'd rather go. I'd keep if possible
Chester - revealed his injury is chronic. Staying as backup might suit him and us.
Adomah - done a job this season but we need a class replacement. Let go.
Green - hasn't made a real impact in spite of skills. Think we need better.
Hourihane - for me, good enough, maybe Burnley PL rather than MC PL, but OK
Whelan - can still do a job, would keep as backup, but DM needs strengthening
Kodjia - might be OK as backup, not lead striker, maybe let go.
O' Hare - promising, keeping him as number 2 would be my choice.
Davis - hasn't seized his chance. Loan out or let go.

So... for the question marks, we need a top quality striker, a quality winger, and a good left back.

Good assessment.

The striker position is a tricky one and I must admit, I am not totally convinced I know the best options here. Championship bullies don't always step up well - Michael Chopra, Dwight Gayle etc.

In some ways, I wonder if Lolley could be handy. Kent - not sure. Not seen enough of him.

The back line is probably simpler to resolve - Mings & Hause look good 'uns. LB is a must.

Quite like Kalvin Phillips and Isaac Hayden as DMs - don't mind Whelan as a 1 year back up.

I wouldn't be happy to see Green leave. He was great in his first run in the team and has been very ineffective recently, just like our old mate Albrighton. As a club, we should learn from our mistakes.

I can't see us signing a load of foreigners. Smith and Purslow were talking about signing good lads like SMG and Mings. Not saying that all foreigners are naughty boys but they need to gel with the dressing room and signing a bunch of fellas who are different is going to create a split.

I think we'll all be surprised at who we release and who we sign. Whatever happens I am excited about next year. No expectation of league standing but when the gaffer states his aim as winning every game, it should be an interesting season. He'll have to coach his little b@ll@cks off.

Just watched the interview. All good stuff. But are those the best chairs they could find at Villa Park?

I know it's very early days but I have a feeling we'll finish about 14th next season, which I wouldn't turn my nose up at for our first season back in the Prem. We're going to have to accept that we may get tonked a few times next season, especially when we rock up at The Etihad and Anfield. The one thing I will miss about the championship is that we won more often than not, but next season there will be games we draw which will feel like victories.

However, We will be one of the few teams in out of the bottom 10 who will actually try to play football and not just sit back and try to nick a winner. So maybe we'll surprise a few people. Might as well have a good bloody go than just exist and avoid relegation every season.

Just watched the interview. All good stuff. But are those the best chairs they could find at Villa Park?

I have walked down that tunnel and out on to the pitch. (on a ground tour) to do it with 40000 fans screaming would frighten me to death, but what a feeling.

I am sure a lot of feelers have already been made, some fuelling the press speculation. However, a discreet enquiry isn’t alqmways followed by an offer, so the wad of names being bandied around likely carries some pointers, but not all.

I think ‘’Merd’’ might be right on a few surprises cropping up. Purslow’s comments suggest a measured approach to recruitment.

For me, Hause, Mings and Tolley would look good bets. El Ghazi might also prove appealing at a modest price with Lille keen to move him on, although that might be a bit worrying in itself. Mind you with Pepe as right winger, maybe not.

I know it's very early days but I have a feeling we'll finish about 14th next season, which I wouldn't turn my nose up at for our first season back in the Prem. We're going to have to accept that we may get tonked a few times next season, especially when we rock up at The Etihad and Anfield. The one thing I will miss about the championship is that we won more often than not, but next season there will be games we draw which will feel like victories.

However, We will be one of the few teams in out of the bottom 10 who will actually try to play football and not just sit back and try to nick a winner. So maybe we'll surprise a few people. Might as well have a good bloody go than just exist and avoid relegation every season.

Dean said we're aiming for first next season. Believe :utv:

My opinion for what it's worth and i'd be totally ruthless and without sentiment here ,

We need 9 players to add to SJM and Jack , it's a harsh reality but when I look at a Team like watford and they are half way up the Prem they would hammer us at the moment and look what city did to them .

I agree with the sentiment about being ruthless hence I wouldnt sign Tammy for example or give Hutton a contract but I don't agree with buying a new team. Not to mention theres only so far the money is going to go and the reality is we've 60-80M available to spend this season not 180M.

Real quality I'd say is at least 15M-20M, Bournemouth just spent 13M on a LB from the Championship and I expect Mings to cost us about 10-13M. Hause and El Ghazi combined is another 5M a piece.

We need continuity as well as ruthlessness, the team that did the best out of the promoted bunch last year stuck with the core group, added a handful of real quality and ruthlessly cut out a few good performers to make it happen. I see more parallels between us and Wolves than the other two who just went up.

For me like Wolves we had a sprinkle of individual premier league quality in a handful of players. Norwich and Sheffield United are well built, organized sides but we're a bit of a mash up carried by the quality of a few. yes we're a team and had great unity but fuck me we have a couple lads who we just constantly rotated because they could never step up their game. Our LB, RB, DM, RW are players very few have affinity toward.