Post Brexit (n/g) | Page 19 | Vital Football

Post Brexit (n/g)

It's got nothing to do with leaving the EU. We weren't in the Schengen Agreement which dictates freedom of movement across borders in the EU and still aren't. We did sign the Le Touquet Accord with France though about 20 years ago, which meant that French customs could be checked in the UK and vice versa and that's still in place. Nothing has changed in terms of tourist travel really, other than the French making a meal of things to get back at us and being awkward and not providing enough staff to man the customs.

From memory, since Brexit, I can recall three serious incidents, which caused severe delays in crossing the channel - none of which are linked to Brexit. One is P&O, the other is last week's shambles and the final one was the French vindictively closing their borders in December 2020 with no notice (due to Covid according to them even though they had as high cases as us at the time) - the latter two were squarely caused by the French. I would add that there have been an array of problems and disruptions at the channel ports which go back long, long before Brexit and the vast majority of them have been caused by the French, whether it be strikes, blockades of ports by port workers, blockades of roads by farmers, blockades of ports by fishermen or civil unrest and riots in Calais etc.

It is no surprise to me, which users on this board are sticking up for the French rather than their own country - I could have easily predicted it!
Simon Calder is wrong then. He must be a no marks Remainer then, rather than a travel expert in high demand who has done on the spot personal research.

Got to Anne Widdecombe for Climate Change advice.
:-)

Last edited:
Simon Calder is wrong then. He must be a no marks Remainer then, rather than a travel expert in high demand who has done in the spot personal research
You'd call it high demand; I'd call it part of an extreme "Independent" pro-EU, anti-Brexit propaganda campaign. He's been everywhere today spreading the "Independent's" message!

Bottom line is that the French can make a meal of checking passports as they are, but they don't have to; they could have done the same when we were in the EU, but didn't. You may think us Brexiteers are deluded for backing the UK - that's your prerogative - but a lot of us Brexiteers think you're equally deluded for not opening your eyes to the actions of the French being clearly calculated and political. I'd sooner back my own country personally, but each to their own!

You'd call it high demand; I'd call it part of an extreme "Independent" pro-EU, anti-Brexit propaganda campaign. He's been everywhere today spreading the "Independent's" message!

Bottom line is that the French can make a meal of checking passports as they are, but they don't have to; they could have done the same when we were in the EU, but didn't. You may think us Brexiteers are deluded for backing the UK - that's your prerogative - but a lot of us Brexiteers think you're equally deluded for not opening your eyes to the actions of the French being clearly calculated and political. I'd sooner back my own country personally, but each to their own!
I backed the UK. That's why I voted remain.

Also, don't try Johnson's lame stunt of claiming anyone who points out problems is anti Britain. I love Britain, hence I notice problems, mention them and would like to see them solved if possible. Anti Britain is ploughing on damaging the country. I've had enough of that thanks.

Also, don't try Johnson's lame stunt of claiming anyone who points out problems is anti Britain. I love Britain, hence I notice problems, mention them and would like to see them solved if possible. Anti Britain is ploughing on damaging the country. I've had enough of that thanks.

The usual remainer redefinition of patriotism!

You can’t extol the virtues of ending freedom of movement and ‘taking back control’ of migration in to the UK, whilst blaming the EU and the French when it’s Briton’s queued up trying to leave the UK.

It simply isn’t logical.

Last edited:
I can't understand why so many of you don't live in the EU ? You clearly spend lots of time whinging on here , slagging off the UK.
You lost a democratic vote on the future our nation should take.

Genuine question, 58 - and we'll agree to disagree on the pros and cons of Brexit. After years - and we are going long before Brexit on this - of the French acting like arses over our border with them (without even mentioning last weekend, we can include them shutting the border with no notice in December 2020, threatening to stop sending electricity to Jersey (ironic now that due to their reliance on gas from Russia, we are now big net senders of energy to them!), their fisherman blockading Jersey, their port workers blocking ports, farmers blocking British travellers and freight, riots and civil unrest near Calas targeting cross channel traffic), do you genuinely think they aren't capable of acting like tossers? And why are there no such problems at any of our other ports beyond Dover and Eurotunnel?

The usual remainer redefinition of patriotism!
Really? How is doing what you think is good for the country not patriotic? Did you think I should have done what I thought was bad for the country to demonstrate my patriotism? Wierd.

You will note that I have not accused you of being unpatriotic, just misguided.

Really? How is doing what you think is good for the country not patriotic? Did you think I should have done what I thought was bad for the country to demonstrate my patriotism? Wierd.

You will note that I have not accused you of being unpatriotic, just misguided.

Sorry, but defending the French in their unreasonable, anti-British behaviour and not calling them out is the opposite of patriotic.

Genuine question, 58 - and we'll agree to disagree on the pros and cons of Brexit. After years - and we are going long before Brexit on this - of the French acting like arses over our border with them (without even mentioning last weekend, we can include them shutting the border with no notice in December 2020, threatening to stop sending electricity to Jersey (ironic now that due to their reliance on gas from Russia, we are now big net senders of energy to them!), their fisherman blockading Jersey, their port workers blocking ports, farmers blocking British travellers and freight, riots and civil unrest near Calas targeting cross channel traffic), do you genuinely think they aren't capable of acting like tossers? And why are there no such problems at any of our other ports beyond Dover and Eurotunnel?
Both Britain (and certainly under the present absolite shower of no marks) and France frequently act like tossers and play to their own 'patriotic' and nationalist gallery.

Btw, and I stand to be corrected but the numbers going through Dover are far greater than elsewhere hence any delay will cause chaos.

It seems this shitshow unravelling is quite upsetting for you Steve. Chill. We told you so.

Might have been rather better with a half competent Government making a better deal but the people chose Johnson to do it for them and the chickens are coming home (or perhaps not if trade dips further).

Both Britain (and certainly under the present absolite shower of no marks) and France frequently act like tossers and play to their own 'patriotic' and nationalist gallery.

Beyond calling out the French's border control staffing failings this week, name some examples of where Britain, in recent times, has made as threatening behaviour to the French as they have to us - i.e. shutting the border with no notice and causing mayhem in December 2020, threatening pulling Jersey's electric supply, fisherman blockading our ports etc., French fuel and other protesters targeting British vehicles in Calais in the riots and protests of 2019 (I was there and saw it) etc. Don't think we've done anything anywhere near as egregious as that. That's my point. I don't understand why the first port of call of a lot on the left is to criticise our own country's behaviour rather than that of other countries. Maybe you can see why some of us draw the conclusions that we do?

It's got nothing to do with leaving the EU. We weren't in the Schengen Agreement which dictates freedom of movement across borders in the EU and still aren't. We did sign the Le Touquet Accord with France though about 20 years ago, which meant that French customs could be checked in the UK and vice versa and that's still in place. Nothing has changed in terms of tourist travel really, other than the French making a meal of things to get back at us and being awkward and not providing enough staff to man the customs.

From memory, since Brexit, I can recall three serious incidents, which caused severe delays in crossing the channel - none of which are linked to Brexit. One is P&O, the other is last week's shambles and the final one was the French vindictively closing their borders in December 2020 with no notice (due to Covid according to them even though they had as high cases as us at the time) - the latter two were squarely caused by the French. I would add that there have been an array of problems and disruptions at the channel ports which go back long, long before Brexit and the vast majority of them have been caused by the French, whether it be strikes, blockades of ports by port workers, blockades of roads by farmers, blockades of ports by fishermen or civil unrest and riots in Calais etc.

It is no surprise to me, which users on this board are sticking up for the French rather than their own country - I could have easily predicted it!
It’s nothing about sticking up for the French. It’s about sticking up for the truth. The Schengen area has nothing to do with it. It’s all about visas. When we were part of the EU there were agreements in place that meant there were no visa restrictions for any EU country irrespective of their Schengen status. That all ended with Brexit. We are now subject to the visa requirements for any third country outside the EU. The checks are all about ensuring that people are not breaching the visa waiver that gives visa free access for 90 out of 180 days. Outside that you need a work/study or other appropriate visa.

Give up 58. At least he hasn't said 'This isn't the Brexit I voted for.' Ever since we in the UK stopped speaking French ourselves, they have been the neighbour we love to hate. Sticking 2 fingers up to the French was extra motivation for plenty of voters in the referendum. It's always everyone else and not us. Some Brexiteers will just never own their own shit. They won and the fact half the country are pissed off about that means nothing to them. Thankfully more and more now realise and accept they were lied to are starting to speak out.
The reality is that we won't be rejoining any time soon, but until the blinkers come off more Brexiteers and they get a bit more angry about what they actually won against what they were promised, then the government will not feel pressured to put it right. We have to make it work not worse.

Give up 58. At least he hasn't said 'This isn't the Brexit I voted for.' Ever since we in the UK stopped speaking French ourselves, they have been the neighbour we love to hate. Sticking 2 fingers up to the French was extra motivation for plenty of voters in the referendum. It's always everyone else and not us. Some Brexiteers will just never own their own shit. They won and the fact half the country are pissed off about that means nothing to them. Thankfully more and more now realise and accept they were lied to are starting to speak out.
The reality is that we won't be rejoining any time soon, but until the blinkers come off more Brexiteers and they get a bit more angry about what they actually won against what they were promised, then the government will not feel pressured to put it right. We have to make it work not worse.

Yeah, spot on Vambo.

The entire framework of the discussion/debate is false and needs rephrasing. Instead of referring to 'Brexit' as if it something that was voted for and has happened, we should instead be discussing/debating the 'Brexit deal'. That's what's happened.

There would at least be some common ground (albeit for completely different reasons) between the Remainers and the most hard line of the Brexiteers; neither have got what they wanted or what they voted for.

In actual fact the only people who seem pleased with the 'Brexit deal' are those who ain't particularly interested in the deal but are insteadmore concerned with telling those who voted Remain that they were wrong and reminding them that they lost the referendum! They're not interested in the details of the deal, they're more concerned with displaying their 'patriotism' by indulging in jingoistic anti-EU rhetoric and pathetic 'French bashing'.

Instead of referring to 'Brexit' as if it something that was voted for and has happened, we should instead be discussing/debating the 'Brexit deal'

Sounds like you're finally waking up Bud 👍
The majority didn't vote for an unfinished job.