Poch to Manure..according to the Sun's Neil Ashton. | Page 3 | Vital Football

Poch to Manure..according to the Sun's Neil Ashton.

I think we have had the players to win something. But the League Cup and FA Cup are token tournaments. The Europa proved too disruptive playing on Thursdays. That leaves the CL no chance and the PL .
Over the last 3 seasons we had Leicester which was a freak outcome and nobody saw that coming, but we pushed them nearly all the way. Then the Chavs which again we were in contention with despite a far less expensive squad. Then City who had the best manager in the world and some of the best players in the world, again money no object.

So I never expected any PL win , we punched above our weight and defied the odds with such a squad.

The best chance was the Leicester year but we fell away for various reasons. If we had a crystal ball and knew what was going to happen we could have signed a few top players and said..... this is the year, we just have Leicester to beat, go out and win the title.

I'm not having it Poch had the squad to win anything of significance. A token cup maybe but that's a consolation prize that Poch has already admitted to not really caring about, neither do I . If we won the FA Cup all well and good but it has lost its prestige.
Winning FA cup would be great but not at the expense of a top 4 finish.

And how is that relevant?

Ideally I would prefer someone who could be here longer term. At that age, you might get 2-3 years out of him.

Our squad is at a stage where it needs rebuilding. I don't think our squad is good enough now to win a league title. So IMO that rules out old gits.

btw, I like this rumour. Nice timing for Spurs with the January transfer window only a few weeks away. Levy has done the bumper new contract thing with Poch. The only way he can appease Poch and us fans is with signings.

We draw another blank in the transfer market, and his grip on his manager loosens just that little bit more.

I really don't see us wining the league for at least another three seasons after this, to win the league now we would to get close to 100pts.
IMO it will take us another 4 or 5 transfer windows before we are anywhere near that.

btw, I like this rumour. Nice timing for Spurs with the January transfer window only a few weeks away. Levy has done the bumper new contract thing with Poch. The only way he can appease Poch and us fans is with signings.

We draw another blank in the transfer market, and his grip on his manager loosens just that little bit more.
I really believe this will be a big window for us, Levy is under huge pressure to deliver some good news.

I think we have had the players to win something. But the League Cup and FA Cup are token tournaments. The Europa proved too disruptive playing on Thursdays. That leaves the CL no chance and the PL .
Over the last 3 seasons we had Leicester which was a freak outcome and nobody saw that coming, but we pushed them nearly all the way. Then the Chavs which again we were in contention with despite a far less expensive squad. Then City who had the best manager in the world and some of the best players in the world, again money no object.

So I never expected any PL win , we punched above our weight and defied the odds with such a squad.

The best chance was the Leicester year but we fell away for various reasons. If we had a crystal ball and knew what was going to happen we could have signed a few top players and said..... this is the year, we just have Leicester to beat, go out and win the title.

I'm not having it Poch had the squad to win anything of significance. A token cup maybe but that's a consolation prize that Poch has already admitted to not really caring about, neither do I . If we won the FA Cup all well and good but it has lost its prestige.

The summer we finished 2nd was the summer to back Poch to the hilt. We had the momentum, but we didn't deliver in the transfer market.

Anyway we will find out a lot about Poch and ENIC over the next few windows. If we don't deliver again I expect him to walk. Players will also leave.

Lets look back at some of our best 11 over the last few years.

Hugo = IMO his form has been very flaky over the last 18 months. He isn't as good as he was.

Walker = Gone

Toby = Hasn't signed a new deal, 25m release clause coming up.

Verty = Coming towards the end of his contract, still hasn't signed a new one.

Rose = Mentally and physically broken.

Wana = Was the best DM around but has been injury plagued over the last 18 months.

Dembele = One of the best CM's around now injury plagued and way past his best.

Eriksen = Looking very likely he will be sold. Hasn't signed a new deal.

That is a hard task to replace that lot. I don't think people understand how dumb and pathetic the last transfer window was. Could set the club back 5 plus years.

Two transfer windows to sort the mess out.

Last edited:
The summer we finished 2nd was the summer to back Poch to the hilt. We had the momentum, but we didn't deliver in the transfer market.

Anyway we will find out a lot about Poch and ENIC over the next few windows. If we don't deliver again I expect him to walk. Players will also leave.

Lets look back at our best 11 over the last few years.

Hugo = IMO his form has been very flaky over the last 18 months. He isn't as good as he was.

Walker = Gone

Wana = Was the best DM around but has been injury plagued over the last 18 months.

That is a hard task to replace that lot. I don't think people understand how dumb and pathetic the last transfer window was. Could set the club back 5 plus years.

And how many seasons to make these new signings gel?

Walker = Gone

We really have punched over our weight if our best 11 over the last few years consists of 8 players. ;) Maybe that academy kid...Larry Bain? Maybe he should be promoted to our best 11, giving us at least 9. Some might even add Dilly Yally.

We really have punched over our weight if our best 11 over the last few years consists of 8 players. ;) Maybe that academy kid...Larry Bain? Maybe he should be promoted to our best 11, giving us at least 9. Some might even add Dilly Yally.
:lol:

You should post more. :lol:

Walker = Gone

Hugo has a few more years left yet and despite my criticism of him is not a priority to replace.

Walker was replaced by Aurier , a nutter for a dumb arse yes but work in progress.

Toby was replaced by Sanchez.

Vert by Foyth but I don't think Vert will go.

Dembele by Winks , Skipp or Sissoko , take your pick.

Wanyama needs replacing sadly.

Eriksen may need replacing but is pretty unique. Alli, Winks or Lamela are not replacements but could be used instead of.

In 5/10 years time we will look back and see not winning a bean with this squad is a failure - just like with the squad Harry had.

We bottled the league when Leicester win it, was in our hands.

Mistakes have cost us semi finals in cups and knock out games in Europe.

I imagine we will see the same mistakes this season.

I dont have faith in him to take that step, I dont think he is ruthless enough.

In 5/10 years time we will look back and see not winning a bean with this squad is a failure - just like with the squad Harry had.

We bottled the league when Leicester win it, was in our hands.

Mistakes have cost us semi finals in cups and knock out games in Europe.

I imagine we will see the same mistakes this season.

I dont have faith in him to take that step, I dont think he is ruthless enough.
I'll never understand why our fans say we bottled the league in 2015/16! It was never really in our hands. We were never top at all that season. Other better teams were top at times and they bottled it. We were 5 points behind most of the time.

Teams rolled over for Leicester near the end of the season. They clearly wanted them to win it. Players even came out saying so before playing them or us. So unprofessional!!

And I'll never get over the shocking fixture scheduling we had. When else have you seen a team have to play Monday night three weeks in a row?? We were always burdened with having to respond to Leicester's result. It was an impossible task for our young inexperienced team. We should be proud we were even it the fight at all!

I'll never understand why our fans say we bottled the league in 2015/16! It was never really in our hands. We were never top at all that season. Other better teams were top at times and they bottled it. We were 5 points behind most of the time.

Teams rolled over for Leicester near the end of the season. They clearly wanted them to win it. Players even came out saying so before playing them or us. So unprofessional!!

And I'll never get over the shocking fixture scheduling we had. When else have you seen a team have to play Monday night three weeks in a row?? We were always burdened with having to respond to Leicester's result. It was an impossible task for our young inexperienced team. We should be proud we were even it the fight at all!

Leicester drew with WBA - we beat West Ham we go top

Lost

Chance to go top against 10 man arsenal

Draw

Leicester drew with WBA - we beat West Ham we go top

Lost

Chance to go top against 10 man arsenal

Draw
Granted, those were two opportunities missed. Our unexpected involvement in a title race showed on those occasions. But I still don't get why a Spurs fan jumps on the 'bottled it' bandwagon. The media loved to paint it that way. Of course, they all wanted Leicester to win it.

In both of those runs to win the cup we beat teams who far superior to us at the time QUOTE]
You're not saying Ramos gave us more success in his time here are you Scott , I'm not even going to talk about that other bloke .
Would you consider Brendan Rogers to be one of the most successful managers of all time .
In my honest opinion there are more serious ways of defining success at a football club .
Sorry mate ,I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one

I just wish that any poster on here who accuses the whole team of "Bottling It " would define that phrase .
I can perhaps understand its use if it's describing a singular action in a microsecond ,ie Jimmy Greaves not going in hard against Ron Yates ,
but please explain how a how team achieves that distinction over a whole game or series of games . Do they decide as a collective to go out and not try . Somebody please explain this to me , I need educating .

I don't see it.

Poch has one of the best jobs in world "league" football.

The only real draw to a "bigger" club is cash. Pretty sure he makes a decent amount of money.

And sometimes all the other issues and problems and pressures that come with the highest profile jobs doesn't make up for it.

Way more reasons to stay at Spurs for at least a few more seasons. Waaaay more. I think winning something substantial with Spurs is now a point of personal pride with him, now that this is truly recognized as his project. I don't think he'll give it up until he has silverware to prove his success.

And if he does meet with trophy winning success for us, and decies to move on, my personal feeling is he will leave to coach Argentina for a time before coaching another club team.

I just wish that any poster on here who accuses the whole team of "Bottling It " would define that phrase .
I can perhaps understand its use if it's describing a singular action in a microsecond ,ie Jimmy Greaves not going in hard against Ron Yates ,
but please explain how a how team achieves that distinction over a whole game or series of games . Do they decide as a collective to go out and not try . Somebody please explain this to me , I need educating .
I made the same argument when we lost the semifinal against Chelski, many on here accused the team of bottling it. I thought we played well and dominated for long spell, I just couldn't see how that equates to bottling it.
Every time we lose a game someone will accuse the team of bottling, it's almost like a reflex action.
I am slowly coming to the conclusion that so many on this forum are simply delusional, they continual accuse Poch of being a failure. When I read that I just have to wonder where they have been for the last 30 years, they obviously think we've been winning trophies left right and centre. Then along comes Poch and we haven't won a trophy for 4yrs, we qualified for the CL once since its conception prior to his arrival. He's qualified 3yrs on the bounce, but according to many that represents failure.
Our revenue has doubled since his arrival, a huge part of that is down to CL football. But that is seen as failure in some eyes.
We can now double the salaries of many of our players, yet another sign of failure.
CL football means the pressure of paying for our magnificent stadium is a little less.
CL football can only help to grow our fan base, is that a sign of failure?
IMO the club has made giant steps in the past few years, sad that so many can't see that and just want to level criticism at every opportunity.
I would say that I have been as frustrated by some decisions just like everyone else, does that mean I should air those frustration day after day after after day. Or do I make my point and move on?