Plymouth | Vital Football

Plymouth

Bought my pass and hoping for a sneaky 1-0.

Unlike NZFC I hope he keeps Kal up top but plays him on the left and allows him to get the crosses in instead of having to keep coming inside.

Tom Pearce will hopefully be back and Massey on the bench with Gardner to give us some experience to balance the youth.

Bought my pass and hoping for a sneaky 1-0.

Unlike NZFC I hope he keeps Kal up top but plays him on the left and allows him to get the crosses in instead of having to keep coming inside.

Tom Pearce will hopefully be back and Massey on the bench with Gardner to give us some experience to balance the youth.

If Pearce is available I'd move Tom James to right back again, move Massey up to right wing, put Naismith on left wing and drop Solomon-Otabor to the bench as IMO he's been pretty ineffective recently and Massey looked better going forward from wing back in the last game.
If we are going to try wingers on their natural wings we will need Evans / Palmer busting a gut to get into the box to support the forwards. I'd also want to see "the other winger" attacking the back post when one of the wingers is crossing the ball, a la McCulluch when Teale used to whip them in from the right. Halcion days those !.

If Pearce is available I'd move Tom James to right back again, move Massey up to right wing, put Naismith on left wing and drop Solomon-Otabor to the bench as IMO he's been pretty ineffective recently and Massey looked better going forward from wing back in the last game.
If we are going to try wingers on their natural wings we will need Evans / Palmer busting a gut to get into the box to support the forwards. I'd also want to see "the other winger" attacking the back post when one of the wingers is crossing the ball, a la McCulluch when Teale used to whip them in from the right. Halcion days those !.

Spot on Arthur, I agree that the two full backs should take their natural positions. I personally would start with Ottabor as he is capable of beating his man and causing problems, but I want to see him on the right as a right footed player going outside the full back and crossing into Garner and Keane. I feel him and Kal are wasted coming inside as it closes the space that Garner and Keane occupy.

I agree with you that we need to have a player coming in at the back post for the amount of overhit crosses we have seen in recent games. I sometimes wonder if the match balls are lighter than the practice balls as when I watch the players in pre match they seem to be able to hit the spot every time.

Spot on Arthur, I agree that the two full backs should take their natural positions. I personally would start with Ottabor as he is capable of beating his man and causing problems, but I want to see him on the right as a right footed player going outside the full back and crossing into Garner and Keane. I feel him and Kal are wasted coming inside as it closes the space that Garner and Keane occupy.

I agree with you that we need to have a player coming in at the back post for the amount of overhit crosses we have seen in recent games. I sometimes wonder if the match balls are lighter than the practice balls as when I watch the players in pre match they seem to be able to hit the spot every time.
I wondered if Naismith was on the right wing to help Massey in defence. Something Ottabor was less likely to do. Therefore right and left wingers had to play on the opposite wings.

Both wrong TB, It's Keane who has dropped to the bench:

Latics: J.Jones, James, Johnson, Tilt, Pearce; Evans, Palmer; Solomon-Otabor, Naismith, Massey; Garner (Capt).

Subs: O.Evans, Keane, Crankshaw, Joseph, Merrie, Aasgaard, Long.

Both wrong TB, It's Keane who has dropped to the bench:

Latics: J.Jones, James, Johnson, Tilt, Pearce; Evans, Palmer; Solomon-Otabor, Naismith, Massey; Garner (Capt).

Subs: O.Evans, Keane, Crankshaw, Joseph, Merrie, Aasgaard, Long.

Yep, looks like back to one up front with Massey in support role.

Letting Plymouth have too much possession. They seem to be a well organised team keeping things tight and tidy.

I'm still not convinced by Darnell Johnson... He seems a bit cumbersome: big lad, strong in a challenge, but doesn't have much in the way of skill or pace. He also looks a bit suspect in his positioning, which is a big problem when a defender doesn't have the pace to put it right when they're caught out. Just hoping more games will give him a bit of education in that part of his game

Way too many loose passes. It's really clear that this is a new team that needs games together, because the passing isn't poor in terms of actual execution... It's more that the players clearly don't know each other yet. Just got to hope that understanding comes sooner rather than later...