Playoff Watch | Page 3 | Vital Football

Playoff Watch

In theory we have no chance .But then we had no chance of going down at Wycombe that day.Perhaps having almost no chance will mean no nerves .Nothing to lose might mean the likes of Blackpool have to worry about us.

Getting back on topic before I get all flustered.

Not exactly for the play-off part, but more about finishing as high as possible. Some of the sides further below us that could overtake us if they keep winning, all dropped points today.

Crewe, Accy, and to a lesser extent, Fleetwood.

There’s a side I thought were going to be a lot higher this season (Fleetwood).

In theory we have no chance .But then we had no chance of going down at Wycombe that day.Perhaps having almost no chance will mean no nerves .Nothing to lose might mean the likes of Blackpool have to worry about us.

It is unlikely that we’ll make the playoffs, but “in theory”, we still can make the playoffs. In fact, in theory, we can still go down!

It is unlikely that we’ll make the playoffs, but “in theory”, we still can make the playoffs. In fact, in theory, we can still go down!
Mathematically yes in theory we can go down however it would take a very improbable chain of results.Where as if we were to achieve maximum points or even near maximum we would have a really good chance of making the play off's.
79 points in my view will almost certainly be enough to make the play off's.That's in my view the message Evans has to get through to the players and maybe already has .

It CAN be done.
Unlikely yes it sure is .But possible as it is still in our hands definitely until Monday and hopefully beyond.

"SteveTreacle - In fact, in theory, we can still go down"!

Don't think it's possible as teams at the bottom will still have to play each other so could not match our total, unless we get points deducted.
I am not convinced I think if you give up on the likes of Rochdale and all the clubs like Wimbledon and Swindon and everyone inbetween win every possible match they need to I think in theory it could be done.It would have to include top sides losing a lot of games.In practice it would need a massive combination of results that just won't happen.

79 points in my view will almost certainly be enough to make the play off's.

I'd be surprised if it takes 79pts to make the playoffs. For the last 9 seasons, 74pts has been enough to make the playoffs (although the year before that it was 80pts).

Working backwards from 2 seasons ago (not counting last season due to it being cut short, the points total for the team finishing 6th was:

73, 71, 73, 74, 69, 74, 74, 73, 71

I reckon 75pts would see us make it. Trouble is that means 5 wins and 2 draws (or 6 wins) from our last 7 games.

And ideally we'd need to make sure we beat direct rivals like Blackpool and Oxford.

We'll have more idea whether it's still possible by this time next week, purely because us and our rivals will all have played 2 more matches by then.
The Blackpool game is a real "six pointer" as beating them stops them from accruing any points either.
I think it will be quite a high total number of points needed compared to previous seasons to get there.

For the last 9 seasons, 74pts has been

I reckon 75pts would see us make it. Trouble is that means 5 wins and 2 draws (or 6 wins) from our last 7 games.

And ideally we'd need to make sure we beat direct rivals like Blackpool and Oxford.

But if we could do it; that's one hell of momentum to take into the play offs.
Personally I don't think we've got a hope in hell.
Stranger things have happened though just ask Pledge

I'd be surprised if it takes 79pts to make the playoffs. For the last 9 seasons, 74pts has been enough to make the playoffs (although the year before that it was 80pts).

Working backwards from 2 seasons ago (not counting last season due to it being cut short, the points total for the team finishing 6th was:

My point was that it was well within our own hands regardless of what other teams do.